actor = None just for a fraction of a second.

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

actor = None just for a fraction of a second.

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Hello, I have a function which spawns an Actor, logs inside the function show the actor was successfully spawned, out of the function, right after I called it, I log the actor to see if it's None, and it is None indeed, then in the Tick() function, right after the previous log showed me the actor is None, a log shows me the actor is not None, and it's the same reference of when it was spawned.
That's the code:
MainClass:

Code: Select all

function outer(OtherClass anActor) {
	anActor.inner();
	Log(anActor.SpawnedActor); // GIVES None.
}
OtherClass:

var SomeActor SpawnedActor;

function inner() {
	SpawnedActor = Spawn(class'SomeActor');
	Log(SpawnedActor); // GIVES 'SomeActor0'.
}

function Tick(float Delta) {
	Log(SpawnedActor); // ALWAYS GIVES 'SomeActor0'.
}
Notice the 3 logs, the one that gives None is in the middle between the two that give 'SomeActor0'. How is it possible? Can an offset link, link to a wrong offset for a fraction of a second?
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Higor
Godlike

Re: actor = None just for a fraction of a second.

Post by Higor »

Don't define variables with existing 'field' names (variables, functions, states).
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Higor wrote:Don't define variables with existing 'field' names (variables, functions, states).
Ok well I should admit my variable isn't called "SpawnedActor" but "OIP", how can I know if the name "OIP" has been used in a superclass? (If that's what you're meaning)

EDIT: Ok I just found out something, I think it's cause of concurrency, I made the code like this:

log1;
call;
log3;
In the called function:

spawn;
log2;
But the logs come out like this:
log1 - None
log3 - None
log2 - Reference

Is it cause of concurrency so?

EDIT 2: The class with the called function, actually has Tick() which call that function too, this must be the problem!

EDIT 3: I commented the call from within Tick(), now it comes out like log1, log2, log3, all three showing None, how can I know why Spawn() failed?
Last edited by PrinceOfFunky on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris
Experienced

Post by Chris »

What Higor is telling you is not to use the same name for Functions, States and variables (those are all UFields..).
You're using the name "outer" for a function.. there is already a very special Object variable with this name in every object..
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Chris wrote:What Higor is telling you is not to use the same name for Functions, States and variables (those are all UFields..).
You're using the name "outer" for a function.. there is already a very special Object variable with this name in every object..
Next time I won't change names just to show it as an example, I wanted to make it easy for you to understand the code flow, but the names are not those I showed you. I edited the prev post right when you were posting this one .o.
PrinceOfFunky wrote:I commented the call from within Tick(), now it comes out like log1, log2, log3, all three showing None, how can I know why Spawn() failed?
EDIT: SOLVED! I knew I would have regret of it when I decided to do it that way, the situation was like this actually, there are 3 classes:
Class 1:

spawn class2 with Owner = None;
call class2.outer();
set the class2 Owner;
Class 2 - function outer():

log1;
call class3.inner();
log3;
Class 3 - function inner():

if (class2's Owner != None) {spawn OIP;}
log2;
OIP is not spawned cause class2's Owner is None, that's why OIP was not None in the logs from within Tick().
Well it is solved! Thanks everyone for your support :D
Moral: Sometimes you think the problem is inside the box, when it is actually outside lol.