Can you hear UT soundtrack in this Jazz version?

Search and find cool Voicepacks, Sounds and Music or show us your own ones!
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Can you hear UT soundtrack in this Jazz version?

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

I just made an UT soundtrack cover but in Jazz style, my brother thinks there's nothing about ut in here, can you hear the ut soundtrack melody in here?
Attachments
ut_jst_test.rar
(600.31 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Re: Can you hear UT soundtrack in this Jazz version?

Post by editor Dave »

Well, it is pretty difficult for me too, and I am not unfamiliar with music analysis by ear. Does the upper voice play around the staccato motif (0:10) of the main menu track (cause I am not sure if you mean by "UT soundtrack" the Intro or the menu music)? Or did you indeed use motifs of the Intro - the rhythm at the beginning sounds similar at least? I also thought that maybe the middle voice resembles the first string melody of the Intro?

In any way, there are quite some features that make it particularily difficult to actually hear the link to a UT track:
1) The UT tracks themselves do not really have a motivic or thematic identity throughout the tracks as a whole which makes it harder to get the motifs in the head in the first place. But this is anything but your fault, of course. :mrgreen:
2) You "adjusted" the melodic lines to a basic blues scale which makes them even harder to recognise in your cover, beside the fact that you seem to deviate from the initial motifs and move them freely afterwards.
3) You changed the rhythm which has a similar effect of blurrying the identity of the motifs.
4) You based the whole thing not only on completely different chords (which is fine by itself) but this chord progression is so overused that one would rather associate it with entirely different songs overall. Especially with this particular rhythm section I personally rather think of an improvisation over "Hit The Road Jack" than anything else.

With that said, I do think a cover like this could work. However, I would start slowly, take the listener by their hand and lead them carefully to what could progress into what you did so far. What I mean is this: Take the motifs as they are, rhythmically and melodically, even if they dont sound jazzy at first. You could then add some 7th or 9th chords or whatever jazzy floats to your mind below those motifs and with those established, you could then begin altering the melody or the rhythm while maintaining some of its essence (like the same amount of steps and leaps). While doing so, you can also change around the chords and everything else. And in the end you would arrive at music that you wouldnt think came from the UT motifs (like what you have at the moment), but you would have made the progress towards this moment so much clearer.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: Can you hear UT soundtrack in this Jazz version?

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

It is actually the city intro music, the change of the rythm is probably the thing which made it hard to recognize the ut song.
For comparsion:
KLbcXEPHExA
Oh and, just hear at the base, the high tones have nothing to do with ut XD
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"