Looking for map recommendations

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Cadar
Novice

Looking for map recommendations

Post by Cadar »

Hey guys!

I'm on the hunt for some good recommendations on giant UT99 maps along the lines of Konosus II and 2nd Space Beacon. Maps with lots of things to explore, plenty of good sniping spaces and which can take a lot of players. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Looking for map recommendations

Post by OjitroC »

Check out the sniper maps at http://ut99maps.gamezoo.org/ - some of the (SUF), [WOLF], (ESG), [SHX], (JAG) maps are particularly large and interesting - also some of the larger versions of Dark City, Sniper Town, Zahltag, Zeitkind and Infinity, plus maps by FNB and BULL - but there really are so many, too many to mention. Bear in mind, though, that not all the sniper maps are bot pathed (if that is important to you). I can only suggest downloading a bunch and working your way through them.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I still have to mention UTR maps, else location "mapraider" might have such stuff.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Way, way back in the day there was an assault community called "Big Ass Maps". They hosted huge-only maps and it was some of the best I've ever seen. AS matches would routinely go over an hour because the maps were so long. Sadly I've never found any of them online. Would any of your old timers happen to have cache rips for any of them?
So long, and thanks for all the fish
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Do you have a preferential game type?

You can skim gametypes on the left here · http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-tournament

There's sub-directories once you pick a gametype.

If you like MonsterHunt with things to find in them, try this · viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11984
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Cadar
Novice

Post by Cadar »

Woops, forgot to turn on email notifications on this thread. Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

Unfortunately I only play the maps by myself at home, so I need to have ones with bot paths. My favourite game types are usually either DM, TDM or LMS. I played one LMS match on 2nd Space Beacon the other day - which is one of the biggest maps I've yet found - and it went on almost 2 hours. 15 bots x 50 lives each = 750 kills, so it can take a while (-8

Thanks for the links. I'll take a look and see what I can find. I did come across a "personal list" of sniper maps on one site, but there is no information about any maps, just a list of links to the zip files and the few I downloaded at random turned out to mostly be complete rubbish. Some of them weren't even finished or they looked like they were practice levels built by people who had no idea what they were doing. Not at all what I'm looking for.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Cadar wrote:Unfortunately I only play the maps by myself at home, so I need to have ones with bot paths.
Totally feel you there, I mostly don't play online.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Cadar
Novice

Post by Cadar »

EvilGrins wrote: Totally feel you there, I mostly don't play online.
I live in South Africa and the connections are poor and data costs a freaking fortune, so online gaming is completely out of the question for me.

I downloaded some new maps. There are a few large sniper ones, but some of them don't seem to have bot paths. The search goes on ...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Well, big-giant-huge maps are not that compatible with Bot Pathing because of NAVIGATION limitations from Unreal Engine. Good luck with finding such stuff. Yeah, I'm playing with Bots as well and I don't even think at huge maps - Many of them are borked at this point, having a lot of space with no paths. So what exactly are we looking for ?
Cadar
Novice

Post by Cadar »

sektor2111 wrote:Well, big-giant-huge maps are not that compatible with Bot Pathing because of NAVIGATION limitations from Unreal Engine. Good luck with finding such stuff. Yeah, I'm playing with Bots as well and I don't even think at huge maps - Many of them are borked at this point, having a lot of space with no paths. So what exactly are we looking for ?
Check out Konosus II (Actually I think it's "Konosus][", sorry, I don't do 733t speek) and 2nd or 3rd Space Beacon. In fact 3rd Space Beacon is probably the better version, it has bot pathing tweaked to the point where the little bastards will slaughter you in a heartbeat 8-/ Anyway, those are the kinds of thing I have in mind, and I can soak up hours of time playing them. I can't speak for the navigation problems, and on some of the levels it becomes easy to predict where bots will appear and to ambush them. But the well-done levels have enough of a variety that you just can't possibly cover all the approaches alone, which makes it really challenging.

I realise these levels are a huge amount of work for the creators, and adding paths increases that workload substantially. If I was any good at getting UnrealEd to work I'd try my hand at it, but I seem to be completely retarded when it comes to using that program. Which is kind of odd, because back in the late 90s I used to make some kick-ass single player and DM Quake maps using Worldcraft. But the skills I developed there are absolutely not translatable, and even when I open existing UT levels to try and understand them I just get completely lost. So unfortunately I've had to fall back on finding great levels done by guys who know what they're doing. Hence my post (-8
Cadar
Novice

Post by Cadar »

And I use the relic mod, which gives an interesting bit of variety and a whole set of new tactical/strategic approaches to the game depending on what you're playing. For standard DM/TDM you want to rack up a lot of kills quickly, but for LMS you aim to remain alive as a priority over kills. In some games I'll collect a couple of relics, stash them and swap between them to recharge health or whatever.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

There's a couple of interesting TDM maps you could try - TDM-(SDA)VallesMarineris and TDM-Battlefort - the latter can be played as DM but not the former.

I've gone back and played the two maps you mention and I'm sure there are quite a few maps that offer the same interest and challenge. I've been playing MonsterSpawn on Jungle Warfare maps for quite a while now and so can't remember the names of any decent large maps - I'll have to go through my map folder and see if any come to mind. Two I see immeditately are DM-(BBST)ChineseWall and DM-(BBST)Thailand, both of which I have had great fun on - so you could check out other BBST maps (as far as I can remember they are bot pathed OK). Plus DM-(B-A)DeusEx (has indoor and outdoor spaces) - not sure how well pathed it is - but worth a try.

The other thing I would say is that you don't need to restrict your search to DM maps, as you can use CTF and DOM by altering the prefix.
Cadar
Novice

Post by Cadar »

Thanks OjitroC, I'll definitely check that out. In fact one of the maps I like to play CTF is an adaptation from an existing DM map. If I remember correctly it's called Arcane Enigma. Other personal favourites and ones you might like to look out for:
DM/TDM/LMS maps:
Constructor
Foom
Disassociative
Baal
Aisha
Heaven's Edge
Prong (unusual and a lot of a fun)
Maris (lovely map, nicely done)
Last Crusader
Halls of Redemption
Nitro
Urban Arena
UnrealityII (Actually Unreality][)
Rrajigar and Mobius are good TDM maps, in fact Mobius is excellent.

CTF maps:
Kosov
Project X2
Ratchet
Noxion16
AreaN23
Pirates Valley (not visually very exciting, but nice game play with lots of sniper potential)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You should check out FraGnBraG's works ...many are big or at least unusual with long play time.
This map should fit your needs https://sites.google.com/site/fragnbrag ... -epic-town
But don't forget to look into his other works ... Some maps got created in our contests we made here.
https://sites.google.com/site/fragnbrag/

And for a blatant self-advertisement :mrgreen: 3072 The Insane Tower - v2 It's not huge but infinite.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

@ Cadar - I hadn't played Prong or Heaven's Edge before - both are interesting and different, so thanks for those suggestions.