Map Edit for anybody

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Map Edit for anybody

Post by papercoffee »

Red_Fist wrote:copy and paste it all in a new editor, rebuild, see what happens
You should try to rebuild this mess in UEd2.1 maybe there it can be fixed on BSP level. But afterwards rebuilding it in UEd2.0 can corrupt the map further.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

That so called Editor 2.1 doesn't seem that different from 2.0. However let me tell something about it (a difference):
You hit the small button for maximize a "viewport" - it will go "full screen". Gooood... now reversal: restore viewport - in 2.0 it do works, in 2.1 doesn't work and it needs resetting viewport for coming back at default stage. At end, I'm coming with a question: What any other thing from version 2.0 it's being messed up (oops, fixed) in that "updated 2.1" ?
By reimporting all this stuff in a clean space and building it (except red template brush) things are not improved, it took 5 minutes to do some checks ( at low speed btw ). SkyBox is visible rammed even in Editor (any version) so What exactly should I'm supposed to see in game ? Nothing improved...
At least XC_PathBuilder is a good stuff for both Editors, if something goes evil for some reason, MapGarbage does some cosmetics, else a bad worked geometry is a hard job for having an automated fix.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

sektor2111 wrote:That so called Editor 2.1 doesn't seem that different from 2.0. However let me tell something about it (a difference):
You hit the small button for maximize a "viewport" - it will go "full screen". Gooood... now reversal: restore viewport - in 2.0 it do works, in 2.1 doesn't work and it needs resetting viewport for coming back at default stage. At end, I'm coming with a question: What any other thing from version 2.0 it's being messed up (oops, fixed) in that "updated 2.1" ?
Doesn't happen with 2.1 in Unreal 227. It seems to be specifically broken in the UT SDK.
You must construct additional pylons.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I just redid the map and will send it, no skybox, no fake backdrop, or I could add a normal one back in from UT.

But I edited this a lnog time ago and got rid of most of the crud back then. seems to be ok.
There is 4 lights that don't exist and can't get to them so I need to get those out where ever they are.

I select all light it shows 28 but in the build options stats is says 32.

If it does work, and if you started pathing you could just paste your nodes over. I think it would be a good MH map, with a lot of work for gameplay. I just wish it had functioning buildings with door movers, but maybe only edit 2 or three inside areas. The map has enough polys and nodes already.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I was trying paths directly from game for a better reliability... and I felt into a BSP. Later I went pissed off and I removed t3d file with paths. Maybe anybody else has other pathing data or I will do paths in other session...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

The 4 lights must be the cameras because they appear with any map, that I never knew about before.

I will add a stock skybox just to make sure things work.

I think what you could do is just use lift exits and lift centers to connect the long areas, then add regular nodes to expand on that per area. would save a lot of nodes.

Like make it only connected from start to finish and to each area, then start placing nodes around which will still be a ton of nodes. but at least all the halls and long runs will have a path to reach the monster end and to each area.

Then label the tags like , ToArea1, Hallway1, etc etc but use nodes to connect the ends between each lift exit combo. Just make sure you set the extracost to zero. and not too long of sections. Be a lot of work setting up the creature factories and picking more non stock pawns.

It's probably worth doing. :)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:That so called Editor 2.1 doesn't seem that different from 2.0. However let me tell something about it (a difference):
By reimporting all this stuff in a clean space and building it (except red template brush) things are not improved, it took 5 minutes to do some checks ( at low speed btw ). SkyBox is visible rammed even in Editor (any version) so What exactly should I'm supposed to see in game ? Nothing improved...
At least XC_PathBuilder is a good stuff for both Editors, if something goes evil for some reason, MapGarbage does some cosmetics, else a bad worked geometry is a hard job for having an automated fix.
No no no ... When I talk about UEd2.1 I mean the Unreal editor. That other fake 2.1 thing can jump in a lake.

You can link both games and then open UT maps in Unreal without a hacked botpack.
Dr.Flay described in a thread how this works.
I fixed my borked Insane-Tower map (the last version) in UEd2.1 ...it could fix the bsp and that path reach-spec bullshit.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I was probing Unreal Gold Editor at a moment - helpful for fixing some meshes. As for messed up maps, let's say that It will not crash but still won't build geometry more properly - I have tested some "map" borked and... probably UT's editor had a bit of better build. Obviously I did once some build to a random map of mine there, and if UT screwed up build due to geometry, Gold was moving bug - NOT fixing. It's just more stable and... featured... and I really don't need "materials" and things which UT doesn't have in my maps for crashing players/servers.

To summarize, when people will respect default mapping RULES we will not have any pain in any Editor. These rules are written by Epic and other cool dudes, but not respected by Epic and then the most of their work are NOT samples "How To" regarding to what mappers are thinking. Build CTF-Face in Unreal 227 as a mater of fact, let me know what you get in BlueBase - hey, delete all BlockAll. then you can compare with UT's Build... Tell me which one is well playable without BlockAll and other craps.

Of course several things are way handy in U227 and I gotta admit that is improved in many ways, but a map can be cleaned by trash ReachSpecs by even using UT's Editor, then XC_PathBuilder is probably what I needed for years... As I recall when docs with 227 release have been written, I could see new features, and stuff that needs reworked... we don't have 100% compatibility with UT so to speak...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Needs better lighting, however if you mess with them I get the BSP occlusion crash, do one light at a time works better, but it could look much much better.

All the brush polys are separated.

There is two brushes outside the map to make a mover, delete them if you want later, but everything in here is all on your own to whomever it may concern. a one zone map

It will take some time but what I did, as EXAMPLE, is made one path from start to finish, one bot will finish. But you could change where the maps starts or ends, or what movers and triggers or none.
But it could be a pretty good MH map if you want to spend a lot of time making it a pleasing map to play.

Also the brushes for the door at the exit room were not original there, I slid dupes over so it wasn't wasted space or room.

I had to set grid to 16 to get paths nodes to be placed, (I always use grid 1)

A titan in there set to 100 health points, and a skaarj sniper, they need distance view triggers to really work right.

There may be some some problem with mylevel textures not sure if they all show up in the texture browser, and they need detail textures added to them.
:rock:

It may still have BSP problems, so if you start messing with brushes, beware, but it seems to be ok.
file is UNR not a zip

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=07A ... 1UBG2Nx0WU

EDIT
:!: There is a group called "Cube" that needs to be deleted, it has a white brush in it, Brush4 , delete that and the group.

And my editor crashed when I hit show all textures, but yes all the textures are there and it didn't crash today, so maybe that is all ok.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Eh, distanceviewtrigger works fine in XCGE even for Bots but... I think I have another karma more funny. Perhaps in this map there is no need to start hunting... just waiting... for being hunted - so to speak MonsterHunt in reversal, monsters are hunting and players, are waiting, LOL. Of course this task needs some paths, more love for paths, a total addiction...

Well... I'm gonna check it...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I might do this, but I want different pawns but never know what packages are safe to use. Being MH, you can't compile as you edit, I just need to insert the packages. Not to keen on all those overpowered weapons, but if there are packages for those I don't know what ones or anything that won't crash. NW3 is out, I just don't like it.

going to make it really hard to finish
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Hints about compiling things in a MH map embedded in MyLevel.
First thing to know. If you are mapping with default MonsterHunt.u file do not expect more magic. However you can add your written stuff in your map by doing a sort of "MH dodge". What is about ?
Draw a cube in a fresh loaded Editor (with or without textures) create your actors and compile them, you can even add one of them there for future usage and save that cube with a name for being on top of maps (easy reachable and loadable in future works). Now you have a cube named whatever... After setting up MyLevel in the magic cube now load your MH map, do not restart Editor, by browsing actors you can find your own ones and... they are compiled (in previous cube Level) now happily add them to the map, this way doesn't fail. in MH maps which I do I load MH ONLY at finishing stage and NOT at beginning of mapping. By NOT loading the crap you will be excepted from having headaches with compiling MyLevel things - that simple. MonsterHunt.u file into a MH map is one of lasts things to open (for adding End and doing final setup stage). For completing Levels already done with MH references, use the Magic cube, load it then load your map without restart - MyLevel is there until you are closing Editor...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Yes I do know that, like a warehouse to hold stuff. wish the guy didn't delete the damn code. :twisted:

But let me know of some packages for pawns, not sure what to do, I want the AKcoop pawns or other ones. But I don't want to load AKcoop just for the pawns
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:But I don't want to load AKcoop just for the pawns
My version of this file ("AKcoop.u") has just 988 kiB. I would not hesitate to add that to the archive.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Red_Fist wrote:I want the AKcoop pawns or other ones. But I don't want to load AKcoop just for the pawns
This should be simple if something will not call some mutator from there on purpose.

@Barbie, If such a package does include some mutator related links for sure I don't need to mock map with that, and no this is not a how to "gauntleting" MH game with a gauntlet game having nothing with gauntlet variables and all that stuff - as a sample why I removed that package and loading in MyLevel everything and rewriting some codes according to MH... no errors. Bad sample is Tikamungo whatever map which is messed up with other non-MH packages. Probably the best advice is to NOT Mess with pawns from packages which might not be directly usable in MH. By fixing them you might deliver a mismatch so MyLevel is the response in case of small "touches". And no, I would not load any AkCoop file regarding to file size - is not about space used, is about MH compatibility. Not gonna mention that even that gauntlet to gauntlet stuff was not well written and not only screwing MH. some code snippet:

Code: Select all

local ScriptedPawn S;

if (Other.Isa ('ScriptedPawn'))
S=ScriptedPawn(Other);
if (.... !S.IsA('Bots')... !S.IsA('Player')...)
This is a plonker work, someone doesn't know classes, ScriptedPawn is NEVER Bots and I don't get what is about that "Player" - it's only a guess work which I deleted because I'm not using trash in MH for no purpose. Not to mention that even in another game such codes have no logic either... If you are having fun with such content, good luck then...

@RedFist
I have imported pawns and if package is more user friendly this is simple. How do works for me ? Steps:
1) Editor open - Empty - console <obj load file=somePackage.u package=MyLevel>. Usually nothing really happens but leave this for now;
2) Now open the cube (or the MH map) because stuff is compiled and just "conformed" into MyLevel - After opening map if every dependent thing is no longer missing, new content should be there - even if previously looks like it did not work;
3) quickly add pawns needed in map and save it - do a check in how do they do look like, some packages can screw each-other for different reasons. Happened to see borked textures in my previous done map so I have unloaded that stuff and re-importing clean textures.