Christ: Game Modes, Mutators, Etc.

Discussions about UT99
Christ
Novice

Christ: Game Modes, Mutators, Etc.

Post by Christ »

In this thread I'll be uploading and updating the game modes, mutators and whatever else I decide to code. I can't promise it will all be new and original but I'll sure bring a few surprises. I also like to look into other mutators to code them to suit me, adding new things and configurations so I will be uploading those as well.

THIS HAS BEEN DESIGNED AND TESTED IN OFFLINE BOTMATCHES; IT MAY NOT WORK PROPERLY OR AT ALL IN ONLINE GAMES.

Game Modes:
- Gun Mode [v 1.0]
- Mutant [Removed until next version].
Gun Mode
Gun Mode.
In this game mode, players race to be the first one to acquire the required number of kills with the final weapon in order to win. To do this players have infinite ammunition, and once the required number of kills to switch to the next weapon is acquired, the next weapon is automatically loaded, while the previous weapon is discarded not to be used again. When a player dies via suicide, the required number of kills will go up one point, if this value was the default required to switch to the next weapon, the current weapon will be discarded and the player will be given the previous weapon on the list.
Weapon and ammunition pickups are disabled from the match, however, normal items like Health Packs and Jump Boots are not.

Setting up the weapon list.
The weapon list is set up in the GunMode.ini file.
You can have up to 30 different weapons, or You can repeat them in the list. Also, while the Translocator cannot be used as a default weapon, it can be added to the list which would require players to telefrag each other.
The first weapon slot to be used is (0), which will be the weapon that You spawn with; the weapon with the highest slot will be the last weapon to be used in the match. Those are not random; the game follows the numerical order of the slots.
The KillsWithWeapon value will determine the amount of kills needed to switch to the next weapon. A value of zero, a negative number or a blank will set a default of 1.
The WeaponClass value is the weapon class to be used, the Minigun would be Botpack.Minigun2, while the Nali Weapons III Flame Tracker would be NWFlameTrackerVIII.FlameTracker. This value must be set up right or else the weapon won't be loaded into the game and that slot will be skipped over.
The WeaponName value is used for the HUD to show the next weapon on the list. This value can be left as a blank and instead the weapon class will be shown.
IF YOU DECIDE TO USE LESS THAN 10 WEAPONS, be sure to leave the slots from the last weapon used up to the (9) slot in the .ini file, or else the default weapons will be loaded in those slots.

Troubleshooting.
The game is using 10 weapons when I just set up 1 ... 9.
Make sure that the .ini file keeps at least up to slot (9) with empty WeaponClass values to avoid the game adding the default weapons. An empty .ini file will load up the default Unreal Tournament weapons from the Sniper Rifle to the Impact Hammer, making those 10 weapons in the game with a single kill per weapon.
WeaponClass(4)="Botpack.Translocator"
WeaponClass(5)=""
WeaponClass(9)=""
This will make the Translocator the last weapon to be used, in a match with just five weapons.

This weapon I chose is not showing up in the game.
Check that the weapon class is set up correctly in the WeaponClass slot, with its package, class name and all between the quotation marks. Also, make sure the package containing the weapon is in the System folder. This game mode can't load weapons You don't even have.

The HUD shows a different weapon name.
The HUD will show whatever value was set in the WeaponName slot, make sure the WeaponName slot is the same as the WeaponClass slot. Keep in mind that those are set manually, so it's up to You to make sure You set up the names correctly.

Note.
Given the frantic, violent nature of Unreal Tournament, it is possible to get kills with a weapon to the next one. As an example, when a player fires a warhead with a Redeemer and this one kills three players while the killer needed just 1 to switch to the next weapon, those two extra kills will count for the new weapon the killed just acquired. For the next release, this should not happen. Also, when a player gets a new weapon, the previous weapon disappears too fast, this is specially noticeable with Hit Scan weapons like the Sniper Rifle, I want to make it so the weapon goes down like when You normally switch guns and then get it destroyed.
I plan on updating whatever is not listed as "Final" version
Attachments
Gun Mode.rar
(12.41 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Last edited by Christ on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: Christ: Game Modes, Mutators, Etc.

Post by nogardilaref »

Quick question: were they only tested offline because offline is really what you want to target, or because you don't know how to make them work online?

Just asking this since multiplayer support is generally very important for mods, since players prefer multiplayer gameplay most of the time (regardless if it's PvP or PvE, it's always more fun to play with other people), and there are people here in this forum, along with tutorials, references and others, which could perhaps help you in the first steps to make your mods work online.

Only if you're interested in online at all of course, it's OK if you really want to make offline mods only. :)
Christ
Novice

Post by Christ »

I do know a little bit about replication and those things, however, I cannot test the game online, and I can't upload something claiming it works online when I couldn't even test that it is true, right? I don't have an internet connection at home so I can't test what I do online, therefore I decided to just upload it as it is making sure it works in offline botmatch which is what I can test out.
Yes, I would like them to work online and perhaps I will do something about that in the future but for now it is what it is.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Christ wrote:I cannot test the game online,
FALSE, anyone can test stuff ON-Line by firing any time a LAN test server with no heartbeat (no advertise). Is pretty much relevant if stuff has a minimal functionality On-Line in a server or it needs modifications.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Yeah, you don't need an internet connection to test online code.
You can simply launch a dedicated server, and you should be able to see it in the LAN servers tab since given that it is in your localhost, the connection will just loopback to your machine and never leave it.

However, I do understand that without an internet connection, any trouble that you have with replication you cannot just come to the forum and ask, plus you don't get to enjoy your own online mods that way (by testing them with friends), which can be frustrating...

Offline mods are really great as well, specially if the AI is worked out. :mrgreen:
Christ
Novice

Post by Christ »

I was not aware that could be done, I'll be sure to do that to make sure all works online, thanks for the tip. And I do have to improve the bot instructions for the next release, I tell them to attack the Mutant but those kids are stubborn and keep attacking themselves while no damage is being done.
Right now I'm working on Gun Mode, which is known from other games, I'll test this online simulation with this.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Christ wrote:I tell them to attack the Mutant but those kids are stubborn and keep attacking themselves
Wrong attitude code, amazingly Epic did Bot more capable of dealing with a game controller IF game controller can handle them correctly...
And, bug fixing it's recommended:

Code: Select all

ScriptWarning: Mutant DM-300k-1on1-XD.Mutant0 (Function Mutant.Mutant.Timer:0266) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: Mutant DM-300k-1on1-XD.Mutant0 (Function Mutant.Mutant.Timer:026E) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: Mutant DM-300k-1on1-XD.Mutant0 (Function Mutant.Mutant.Timer:0290) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: Mutant DM-300k-1on1-XD.Mutant0 (Function Mutant.Mutant.Timer:02BC) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: Mutant DM-300k-1on1-XD.Mutant0 (Function Mutant.Mutant.Timer:02C4) Accessed None
Christ
Novice

Post by Christ »

Yeah, I know about that. The timer checks who the worst is to get a Bottom Feeder which won't happen until someone gets killed, I didn't add a check to stop that from happening, but think about it, I'll fix it up.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Christ wrote:I tell them to attack the Mutant but those kids are stubborn and keep attacking themselves
Did you check the codes I send it to you?? In my version of mutant, this code will tell the bots to attack mutant only.

Code: Select all

// 0 = fear, 1 = hate, 2 = ignore, 3 = friendly
function byte AssessBotAttitude(Bot aBot, Pawn Other)
{
	if ( Other == Mutant || aBot == Mutant || Mutant == None )
		return 1;
	else
		return 2;
}
After playing your mutant game, I have seen that mutant can pickup things. In actual, Mutants are not allowed to pickup anything. This means you will have to play around with the PickupQuery() function and that mutant bot should not get stuck on pickups.
Otherwise it was fun to play. :gj:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Spectra wrote:with the PickupQuery() function and that mutant bot should not get stuck on pickups
Not that much possible without adjusting desirability in run-time, which means... other pickup series taking mutant in account, default pickups are always a goal for Bot - that's main DM purpose - getting items, unless you are in for doing some XCGE stunt making game exclusive for XCGE.
Christ
Novice

Post by Christ »

Like I said, I made it based on what I could find, I didn't know Mutants weren't allowed to get pickups, I'll add an option for the user to decide on that.
Christ
Novice

Post by Christ »

Gun Mode is done, just a few details to add to the HUD and the Scoreboard and it will be up for downloads. I wanted to ask, how can I make the game load up all weapons before the match starts? I made it so that all weapons can be chosen in the configuration files so that people can have matches with mixed guns like having a Nali Weapons Freezer and then an EXU Hell Gun followed then with a normal Minigun, but when this is done, the game stops for a second to load the new guns that aren't the default Unreal Tournament weapons, so I would like to load up all weapons before the match starts instead of mid game to avoid this pause. Other than that, it is all done, I should be uploading the game tomorrow if I fix that.
Last edited by Christ on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Christ wrote:Gun Mode is done, just a few details to add to the HUD and the Scoreboard and it will be up for downloads. I wanted to ask, how can I make tha game load up all weapons before the match starts? I made it so that all weapons can be chosen in the configuration files so that people can have matches with mixed guns like having a Nali Weapons Freezer and then an EXU Hell Gun followed then with a normal Minigun, but when this is done, the game stops for a second to load the new guns that aren't the default Unreal Tournament weapons, so I would like to load up all weapons before the match starts instead of mid game to avoid this pause. Other than that, it is all done, I should be uploading the game tomorrow if I fix that.
Maybe should you look into the code of the Dynamic Arena mod where you can use a custom roster of weapons.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/dynamicarena
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Silly question, but...

Your Gun Mode mod = Gun Game from Counter-Strike?! :shock:

I... NEED... THIIIIIS!!! :twisted:
Christ
Novice

Post by Christ »

I think so.
You have a gun, get enough kills with this gun and then switch to the next and so on until there are no guns left.