My aim keeps moving down

Discussions about UT99
Marscaleb
Average

My aim keeps moving down

Post by Marscaleb »

I am having a peculiar (but also intermittant) problem. Every now and then when I'm playing UT, my aim is constantly pulling down. If I leave the mouse alone for a few seconds I will be looking at my feet.
I have no idea what is causing this. I have several computers with UT installed on it, but none of them are doing this. I've tried using a different mouse, but it still does it. It's a laptop and so it has a built-in touchpad, but I can't find any settings from the touchpad that are doing anything weird. Also, I don't have problems with the mouse cursor in the UI moving down, just the player aim. I also don't have this problem in other FPS games. And to make matters worse, it doesn't always do it. Some time it works just fine.

Has anyone had problems with this? What could be causing it, and how do I fix it?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: My aim keeps moving down

Post by Red_Fist »

Check the gamepad settings in the ini

make it deadzone true but not the UV or vertical one (have to look sorry)
Binary Space Partitioning
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I've heard about this couple of times and still don't know what caused it. I also had this issue as well but I don't know how I fixed it.

1 thing that came to mind was... is your screen saver is turned on?

My other thoughts are the Windows updates that are causing it...

Edit: Oh wow... let me know if Red_Fist's post work.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Marscaleb
Average

Post by Marscaleb »

I checked all my ini files but couldn't find the word "gamepad" in any of them. I'm really not sure what to look for; I'd need some more information.
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Marscaleb wrote:I checked all my ini files but couldn't find the word "gamepad" in any of them. I'm really not sure what to look for; I'd need some more information.
Check in unrealtournament.ini. It's in there.
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Had a similar issue YEARS ago except it was the opposite - I'd look straight up to the sky.
It drove me mad!

I recall it was an issue/settings with the renderer I was using - don't recall if it was D3D or OpenGl.

What are you using? Maybe post the settings of it here?

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Marscaleb
Average

Post by Marscaleb »

Pileyrei wrote:Had a similar issue YEARS ago except it was the opposite - I'd look straight up to the sky.
It drove me mad!

I recall it was an issue/settings with the renderer I was using - don't recall if it was D3D or OpenGl.

What are you using? Maybe post the settings of it here?
That sounds absurd but I'll give it a try.

Only problem is I will never know if it is fixed or not unless it happens again, as it wasn't exactly happening every time.
TontonBaSher

Post by TontonBaSher »

Hey there !
Maybe i am a bit late, but i know how to get rid of this problem ! :tu:
Open your user.ini file, in this one, there is some lines written Joy. Make them look like this :
Joy1=
Joy2=
Joy3=
Joy4=
Joy5=
Joy6=
Joy7=
Joy8=
Joy9=
Joy10=
Joy11=
Joy12=
Joy13=
Joy14=
Joy15=
Joy16=
JoyX=
JoyY=
JoyZ=
JoyR=
JoyU=
JoyV=
Be aware, it's the same thing for caps lock, numlock, and Scrolllock lines.
Hope it will help you, in the case you didn't solve it yet.

BaSher :mad2:
Get Ba$hed !!
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

I have plenty of stuff in joy#= lines and some other and it doesn't affect my gameplay.
TontonBaSher

Post by TontonBaSher »

Hi. Of course Chamberly, considering it's the default .ini settings for every fresh Unreal Tournament install, everyone would complain about the issue :lol2: Which is not the case, seems like it doesn't affect many players. Rarely heard about it ^^ But this tip worked for me and a few friends. Actually, the bug happened to me when i pressed the shift/caps/numlock keys for example, like it had a direct link with joypad lines...

Still worth for him to try it, with some luck it might be the solution. :tongue:
Get Ba$hed !!
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

I had this happen with me several years ago, but only when I had a controller connected.

It was like if UT was afraid I was gonna play it with a controller, and was just telling me: no no nooooo.... :mrgreen:
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Hey I used to have this problem too, then I realised it was acutally my PHYSICAL MOUSE. I know how to frustrating this issue was. I solved it. Not only UT , but other games too.

If you have USB mouse, that emits this red light on your desk or mousepad, to register the movement, (90%) of all modern mouse have this, is to change the surface beneath, OR my solution I stumbled upon by total accident:

When you move your mouse 'up', the classic gesture when you 'reset' your arm, to provide optimal space for your mouse, -- hold your mouse higher , so the light doesn't register any movement. When you "reset your arm position" the redlight remembers the movement before its placed down.

I may, I just may be captain obvious here, but hopefully for other I am not. But this automatic gesture you have learned yourself throughout the years, we make every couple of minutes if not seconds, was my problem.

When making the gesture, hold up your mouse higher.

Hope this helps. :loool: ,

IF I am Caption Obvious , spank me. :mrgreen:
This member can only post when permitted.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

An optical Mouse used on a wrong surface will always do funky things...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:An optical Mouse used on a wrong surface will always do funky things...
Use an optical mouse on a glass table ...you'll have fun!! I guarantee :mrgreen:
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

papercoffee wrote:
sektor2111 wrote:An optical Mouse used on a wrong surface will always do funky things...
Use an optical mouse on a glass table ...you'll have fun!! I guarantee :mrgreen:
There are some tables, at the place where I work, where an optical mouse won't ever work (they're not glass, and they're completely opaque with white paint).
Not sure what material the tables are coated with, or if the color of the table has anything to do with it, but they are tables meant for meals though, so it's no biggie, generally. :lol2: