Some mutator ideas Ive wanted to share.

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
UTNerd24
Adept
Personal rank: Professional Camper

Some mutator ideas Ive wanted to share.

Post by UTNerd24 »

Okay, So I was a little reluctant to make this thread on account of being told things like "If you're so keen on it, why not do it yourself?", But hear me out.

I do not fully expect these ideas to be taken up and made into actual mods. But to be honest, I've been holding onto these concepts for so long that I just could not stay quiet any longer.

As you may know, I have a thing for excessive weaponry and anything of hysteria, but for times when I need a break from Power, I tend to look for something else: Quantity. Thats why I was suggesting the creation of a mod/mutator that allows pickup CYCLING ala Chaos UT. So basically, Like WORM, it replaces base armory/health/ammo and the norm with the classes of ones desire, and then after, say 2 minutes pass, A new pickup will take its place. This could also be handy for an infrequent selection of pickups that do not have Respawn times, such as G59's Sin Pillars. The times can be adjusted and the pickups can either be sequential or shuffled for the sake of not camping a certain area waiting for a certain item.

Occasionally in MH I sometimes wonder exactly how much health a monster has. Now, health bars on bots I can understand as 'cheating' but having them on Monsters should be an exception. The idea I was thinking of was not having their health printed when targeted, but more a variation of team beacon that has a number/bar above the monster's head. Of course, for performance reasons, the "maximum detection distance" should be customizable. On the topic of Monsters, I've always been intrigued by the concept of "Friendly" Monsters, but have almost never seen it properly executed. Trying to do something like that in a pawn's properties would switch it's Ai back to "Hate" if accidentally shot, but even if it were to remain friendly, It would be completely oblivious to the surroundings unless attacked directly. The only places ive seen such an idea work is in Nali Chronicles and Battle of NaPali.

I've recently found myself using the "Hidden" Weapon hands, as it allows me to get a better idea of my surroundings, plus, I'm not sure if this is because of an addon or not, but I also get the names of the weapons I switch to. However, such a thing doesn't seem to exist for Unreal/Oldskool play. You could argue I can differentiate between weapons by their draw sounds, but I tend to use a large amount of weaponry in play, and they tend to have the same sounds.

Lastly, Its a bit of a nitpick, but it kinda bothered me how Unreal/Some Items would not display a flavor text in the bottom center when picked up, but only in the chat box in the top left. As for messages regarding an item's charge or activation, they should remain in the chat. Simply for the initial pickup.

My main focus for the moment is probably item cycling, but for all I know, some of these suggestions may be more interesting to them than others. I don't wanna sound like i'm self-loathing or guilt-tripping, but I honestly don't see myself becoming a modder any time soon. If someone does take interest to this and/or makes them into actual mods, I would be ever so grateful. But hey, it's the thoughts that count!

Till then, peace.
I've been playing UT for so long it's practically tradition.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Some mutator ideas Ive wanted to share.

Post by EvilGrins »

Dunno what it is, but on a lot of MH servers I've seen monsters with their health hanging in the air above them, which shrinks as you shoot them.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

UTNerd24 wrote:On the topic of Monsters, I've always been intrigued by the concept of "Friendly" Monsters, but have almost never seen it properly executed.
First of all default monster sucks so friendly problem cannot be in account either - friend slith will not kill an enemy slith because they do sucks with corroding immunity, rocks are not killing titans from any kind, stupid queen cannot slaughter a pupae (major problem in MMGame) and so on - friendly dreams.
Else NsMonster IS FRIENDLY from all angles of view and I think is almost properly executed (avoiding queens Titas and crap which are not fitting into CTF-Coret types - intended for NsCTF which is ready for them + Bot code included. If you never heard of them that's a different story. These species are also MH ready because their default Team byte is 3 hating all player possible in dual team games. I worked my ass for them and like I said somewhere already (people are not reading forum) I used then as replacements for default monsters and that's why I vaporized all MH stock monster errors using a server-side tool for this task. The only issue was precaching them - which I done later. Now I don't need these replacements I keep them only for a custom CTF/DM.
UTNerd24 wrote:Lastly, Its a bit of a nitpick, but it kinda bothered me how Unreal/Some Items would not display a flavor text in the bottom center when picked up, but only in the chat box in the top left.
Because EPIC were goofing by hard-coding strings right in classes and not using a default property that can be "captured" with a "PickupMessagePlus", for ammo it do works - I embedded this code in some maps...

Peace to you too !
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UTNerd24 wrote:Thats why I was suggesting the creation of a mod/mutator that allows pickup CYCLING ala Chaos UT. So basically, Like WORM, it replaces base armory/health/ammo and the norm with the classes of ones desire, and then after, say 2 minutes pass, A new pickup will take its place. This could also be handy for an infrequent selection of pickups that do not have Respawn times, such as G59's Sin Pillars. The times can be adjusted and the pickups can either be sequential or shuffled for the sake of not camping a certain area waiting for a certain item.
XPickups's WildCard pickup charger does this - upto 16 different pickups spawned randomly with a random or fixed respawn time.
UTNerd24
Adept

Post by UTNerd24 »

OjitroC wrote:
XPickups's WildCard pickup charger does this - upto 16 different pickups spawned randomly with a random or fixed respawn time.

I can see what you're talking about, but the problem with XPickups is that it seems to be centered more on Map making rather than modding and customization. That and it gives completely new item definitions. I recall that leading to a problem years ago where a poster tried to use Chaos UT and XPickups in parallel and the Chaos Sniper didint make it. I will however say that the fact that such an item exists is a good start. If it were possible to make EVERY item replaced with a wildcard charger to be customized at the user's leisure, that would work wonders. In the meantime, I'll have to settle for Dropper's RNG.

EDIT: Only 16? What about Ammo and misc?
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

I noticed that in NW3 MH servers, there are some maps where the redeemers are replaced by the NW3 big weapons (nukes and others), but in a rotating fashion.
After you pick one up, the next one which respawns is almost never the same.

Upon checking the actual .ini files of the mod, there's one called NWConfig.ini, and there's a section called [NWCoreVIII.NWMainReplacer], and you have things there like this:

Code: Select all

WeaponItems[0]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.Translocator",NewItem="NWRTVIII.RT",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="")
WeaponItems[1]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.ImpactHammer",NewItem="NWTheExecutionerVIII.TheExecutioner",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="")
WeaponItems[2]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.ChainSaw",NewItem="NWTheExecutionerVIII.TheExecutioner",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="")
WeaponItems[3]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.Enforcer",NewItem="NWWREVIII.WRE",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="")
WeaponItems[4]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.UT_Biorifle",NewItem="NWFlameTrackerVIII.FlameTracker",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="")
WeaponItems[5]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.SuperShockRifle",NewItem="NWSuperBoltRifleVIII.SuperBoltRifle",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="bGameWeaponStay=True;")
WeaponItems[6]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.ShockRifle",NewItem="NWBoltRifleVIII.BoltRifle",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="")
WeaponItems[7]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.PulseGun",NewItem="NWGravitonVIII.Graviton",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="")
WeaponItems[8]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.Ripper",NewItem="NWFreezerVIII.Freezer",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="")
WeaponItems[9]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.Minigun2",NewItem="NWVulcanVIII.Vulcan",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="")
WeaponItems[10]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.UT_FlakCannon",NewItem="NWTheMinerVIII.TheMiner",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="")
WeaponItems[11]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.UT_Eightball",NewItem="NWMultiMissileVIII.MultiMissile",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="")
WeaponItems[12]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.SniperRifle",NewItem="NWIRPRVIII.IRPR",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="")
WeaponItems[13]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.WarHeadLauncher",NewItem="NWSuperBoltRifleVIII.SuperBoltRifle",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="bInfiniteAmmo=False;")
WeaponItems[14]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.WarHeadLauncher",NewItem="NWCybotLauncherVIII.CybotLauncher",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="")
WeaponItems[15]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.WarHeadLauncher",NewItem="NWNuclearLauncherVIII.NuclearLauncherLevelA",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="",Options="")
WeaponItems[16]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.WarHeadLauncher",NewItem="NWNuclearLauncherVIII.NuclearLauncherLevelB",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="minS=1500;",Options="")
WeaponItems[17]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.WarHeadLauncher",NewItem="NWNuclearLauncherVIII.NuclearLauncherLevelC",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="minS=3000;",Options="")
WeaponItems[18]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.WarHeadLauncher",NewItem="NWNuclearLauncherVIII.NuclearLauncherLevelD",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="minH=3000;minS=4000;",Options="")
WeaponItems[19]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.WarHeadLauncher",NewItem="NWNuclearLauncherVIII.NuclearLauncherLevelE",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="minH=4500;minS=7000;",Options="")
WeaponItems[20]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.WarHeadLauncher",NewItem="NWMegatonVIII.Megaton",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="minH=3000;minS=4000;",Options="")
WeaponItems[21]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.WarHeadLauncher",NewItem="NWIonizerVIII.Ionizer",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="minH=3000;minS=4500;",Options="")
WeaponItems[22]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.WarHeadLauncher",NewItem="NWUltimaProtosVIII.UltimaProtos",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="minH=4500;minS=7000;",Options="")
WeaponItems[23]=(bSwap=True,ItemToReplace="BotPack.WarHeadLauncher",NewItem="NWTheOversurrectorVIII.TheOversurrector",ReplaceSubClasses=True,Filters="minH=2500;minS=1500;",Options="")
Notice that the "BotPack.WarHeadLauncher" (the redeemer - the last lines) has multiple entries with different weapon replacements.
Then below that, you have another set of lines like this:

Code: Select all

WeaponItemSettings[0]=(Item="BotPack.Translocator",MultiBehaviour=RMT_Sequencial,ChargerType=RCT_Charger2,RespawnTime=0.000000,FXDefaultColor=(R=255,G=128,B=128),bTeamFX=True,FXStyle=RCFX_FlickerWeak,bKeepItem=False,bGiveAllToPawn=True)
WeaponItemSettings[1]=(Item="BotPack.ImpactHammer",MultiBehaviour=RMT_Sequencial,ChargerType=RCT_Charger2,RespawnTime=0.000000,FXDefaultColor=(R=255,G=255,B=0),bTeamFX=True,FXStyle=RCFX_FlickerWeak,bKeepItem=False,bGiveAllToPawn=True)
WeaponItemSettings[2]=(Item="BotPack.ChainSaw",MultiBehaviour=RMT_Sequencial,ChargerType=RCT_Charger2,RespawnTime=0.000000,FXDefaultColor=(R=255,G=255,B=0),bTeamFX=True,FXStyle=RCFX_FlickerWeak,bKeepItem=False,bGiveAllToPawn=True)
WeaponItemSettings[3]=(Item="BotPack.Enforcer",MultiBehaviour=RMT_Locker,ChargerType=RCT_Charger2,RespawnTime=0.000000,FXDefaultColor=(R=64,G=0,B=255),bTeamFX=True,FXStyle=RCFX_FlickerWeak,bKeepItem=False,bGiveAllToPawn=True)
WeaponItemSettings[4]=(Item="BotPack.UT_Biorifle",MultiBehaviour=RMT_Locker,ChargerType=RCT_Charger2,RespawnTime=0.000000,FXDefaultColor=(R=255,G=32,B=0),bTeamFX=True,FXStyle=RCFX_FlickerWeak,bKeepItem=False,bGiveAllToPawn=True)
WeaponItemSettings[5]=(Item="BotPack.ShockRifle",MultiBehaviour=RMT_Locker,ChargerType=RCT_Charger2,RespawnTime=0.000000,FXDefaultColor=(R=0,G=255,B=255),bTeamFX=True,FXStyle=RCFX_FlickerWeak,bKeepItem=False,bGiveAllToPawn=True)
WeaponItemSettings[6]=(Item="BotPack.SuperShockRifle",MultiBehaviour=RMT_RandomTimed,ChargerType=RCT_Charger2,RespawnTime=0.000000,FXDefaultColor=(R=255,G=0,B=0),bTeamFX=True,FXStyle=RCFX_FlickerWeak,bKeepItem=False,bGiveAllToPawn=False)
WeaponItemSettings[7]=(Item="BotPack.PulseGun",MultiBehaviour=RMT_Locker,ChargerType=RCT_Charger2,RespawnTime=0.000000,FXDefaultColor=(R=128,G=0,B=255),bTeamFX=True,FXStyle=RCFX_FlickerWeak,bKeepItem=False,bGiveAllToPawn=True)
WeaponItemSettings[8]=(Item="BotPack.Ripper",MultiBehaviour=RMT_Locker,ChargerType=RCT_Charger2,RespawnTime=0.000000,FXDefaultColor=(R=255,G=255,B=255),bTeamFX=True,FXStyle=RCFX_FlickerWeak,bKeepItem=False,bGiveAllToPawn=True)
WeaponItemSettings[9]=(Item="BotPack.Minigun2",MultiBehaviour=RMT_Locker,ChargerType=RCT_Charger2,RespawnTime=0.000000,FXDefaultColor=(R=255,G=128,B=64),bTeamFX=True,FXStyle=RCFX_FlickerWeak,bKeepItem=False,bGiveAllToPawn=True)
WeaponItemSettings[10]=(Item="BotPack.UT_FlakCannon",MultiBehaviour=RMT_Locker,ChargerType=RCT_Charger2,RespawnTime=0.000000,FXDefaultColor=(R=128,G=128,B=255),bTeamFX=True,FXStyle=RCFX_FlickerWeak,bKeepItem=False,bGiveAllToPawn=True)
WeaponItemSettings[11]=(Item="BotPack.UT_Eightball",MultiBehaviour=RMT_Locker,ChargerType=RCT_Charger2,RespawnTime=0.000000,FXDefaultColor=(R=128,G=255,B=0),bTeamFX=True,FXStyle=RCFX_FlickerWeak,bKeepItem=False,bGiveAllToPawn=True)
WeaponItemSettings[12]=(Item="BotPack.SniperRifle",MultiBehaviour=RMT_Locker,ChargerType=RCT_Charger2,RespawnTime=0.000000,FXDefaultColor=(R=0,G=255,B=0),bTeamFX=True,FXStyle=RCFX_FlickerWeak,bKeepItem=False,bGiveAllToPawn=True)
WeaponItemSettings[13]=(Item="BotPack.WarHeadLauncher",MultiBehaviour=RMT_RandomTimed,ChargerType=RCT_Charger2,RespawnTime=0.000000,FXDefaultColor=(R=255,G=0,B=0),bTeamFX=True,FXStyle=RCFX_FadeMedium_25_75,bKeepItem=False,bGiveAllToPawn=False)

Notice the last line, where you have "MultiBehaviour=RMT_RandomTimed".
And it seems that this is not only for weapons, but you have similar settings for ammo and other pickups. Not sure if it's what you want, but this seems the sort of thing you can tweak to your liking given that it's in a .ini file at least.
UTNerd24
Adept

Post by UTNerd24 »

nogardilaref wrote:*Interesting stuff*
That's quite the find there! Provided Ferali still visits these forums, it might be worth trying to convince him to release a standalone version of that cycle! Yes. I know he's done with modding, but Im sure he's not too worried about distributing some leftover goodies.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UTNerd24 wrote: ... a standalone version of that cycle!
I think the point being made is that you don't need a standalone version for the features you want but that you can use NWCoreVIII.NWMainReplacer and configure it manually by altering the ini and/or via the in-game menu under Mod > NW3 Gameplay Settings. So you can disable replacement of stock UT weapons by NW3 weapons and have them replaced by weapons of your choice, for example - plus have pickups (weapons, health, ammo) randomised.

The whole NW3 mod is extremely versatile and so, for example, I use the MH Extras component simply for health regeneration having disabled all the other features.
UTNerd24
Adept

Post by UTNerd24 »

:wtf: My god! The fact that it was possible is one thing, but to think it was under my nose the entire time!
Thank you so much guys! Even if I was a bit dense not knowing its existence, I still can't thank you enough! I'll give it a try later on in the week, and if all goes right, I'll share some results!

:tu: Once again, Im in your debt for this, even if it does seem like a small thing to you, it's huge to me!

UPDATE: Looks like its a bit trickier than I first anticipated, But I still wanna thank you for the discoveries. I was never very good at coding, but at least here I can learn a thing or two. I also wanna say that this is a great community. But I dont wanna spend the whole thread flattering you guys. Maybe another time eh?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Wormbo kindly made a fix for the Xpickups and Chaos rifle problem (it is not a subclass of the UT rifle), and I packaged it with the final Xpickups and mappack releases
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5082

Have you used MrLoathsomes mutators ?
He has some for spawning extra items in various ways, and also monster AI tweaks.
http://www.ecoop.tk/load/
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

UTNerd24 wrote: UPDATE: Looks like its a bit trickier than I first anticipated, But I still wanna thank you for the discoveries. I was never very good at coding, but at least here I can learn a thing or two. I also wanna say that this is a great community. But I dont wanna spend the whole thread flattering you guys. Maybe another time eh?
UTNerd24
Adept

Post by UTNerd24 »

nogardilaref wrote: Image
Doing what? Praising how awesome of a community this is? Well to be honest, Its hard to say what already has been said. Im just beside myself that an arena shooter from 1999 is still going strong even today.

You guys are awesome! :tu:
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »