Need a fix for my Doom/Quake edit

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Need a fix for my Doom/Quake edit

Post by Barbie »

OjitroC wrote:CreatureFactory0/ThingFactory0 produce the qDemons and the abnormal/excessive fabricating value/capacity may have something to do with the crashes I experienced?
Probably not: the factories have values of 300 or 400 what is not abnormal in my mind. And using a ThingFactory instead of a CreatureFactory to create ScriptedPawns will not cause harm, only a log entry.

But what I've seen in the code of imp.u and baron.u: that seems to be a simple copy of Krall's code. baron.u for example even defines Krall specific mesh sequences that do not exist in the mesh of Baron:

Code: Select all

#exec MESH NOTIFY MESH=baron SEQ=Grasp TIME=0.58 FUNCTION=GrabDice
#exec MESH NOTIFY MESH=baron SEQ=Toss  TIME=0.63 FUNCTION=ThrowDice
BaronMeshes.jpg
So I would not be surprised to see runaway loops and other fascinating things there. :ironic:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: CreatureFactory0/ThingFactory0 produce the qDemons and the abnormal/excessive fabricating value/capacity may have something to do with the crashes I experienced?
No and yes,
If you read well before, qDemon is a pawn UNFINISHED and CRAPPED floating on web as stuff for UT. Else, more pawns = More iterations in "WhatToDoNext" called repeatedly and... doubled - it's probably when a stupid code is hard to be managed when coder did garbage.
I'll bet on 10 $ that if you are removing that dumb code game will no longer crash - creating another package file with pawns of course...

Reducing factories was one of features requested by some player at a moment getting tired of killing the same type of monster for 2 hours and... even making stuck garbage collector at end of such 2 days match - ATAA type trashes... that measure will not help maps with custom counters intended for spamming, and of course those maps will not help your server ever.
EDIT:
Try this one, I guess it won't mismatch previous old version...
[attachment=0]QuakeMPak2.zip[/attachment]
If other occurrences are seen because the dumb sh!t is dying and not dying (do figure the rest of code) making loops through "setenemy" let me know.
Attachments
QuakeMPak2.zip
(883.93 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

ATAA is in a class of it's own. one that works that I liked is ATAA2+ just so friggen insane
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

A Class or not, I'm not using any of those hyper over super fixed, so to speak I did not even tested my MH2 types there, if things goes rammed (the counter crap) I don't really care. Ini might help in config but... I'm not bother to test any of them.
Related to DarkForest chapter, because I was interested to have a map fully functional with Bots I have done one, they can finish map climbing properly on last kitty mountain using even water-fall to visit the cave, etc... The rest of things will get some love another time - it will be My Edit, probably I'll reconstruct entire map from roots, but right now I'm studying another chapter not this one...
Also speaking about a forest, probably we have stuff in UT having beautiful plants and trees, birds singing and all sort of goodies for making an improved forest-like ambience.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote:If other occurrences are seen because the dumb sh!t is dying and not dying (do figure the rest of code) making loops through "setenemy" let me know.
I only tried it for a brief period (flying to the cave in the Red Mountain and triggering the qDemons) but the improved version of QuakeMPack2 is fine with no observed untoward occurrences - I didn't get the crash I used to get (not that I would expect to as you have fixed the code). So thanks for that :gj:
sektor2111 wrote: Also speaking about a forest, probably we have stuff in UT having beautiful plants and trees, birds singing and all sort of goodies for making an improved forest-like ambience.
There are songbirds, crows and sparrows (plus other things) in Animal_Pack1.u and these don't seemed to used all that much. A good source of grasses and other small plants is CrevDecoGras.utx (perhaps you are already aware of these packs).
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Properly imported in Mylevel of Sk_Godz due to some rabbit default crapped code which I fixed and changed stuff doesn't seems to do damage.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote:
EvilGrins wrote: Since my issue on this map continues, I'm gonna re-do the "Hell" version from scratch next week; same filename so delete the one you've all got.
Some suggestions
  • 1 Move a couple of the SpawnPoints for the imps much closer to the trigger so there is some sense of an ambush - at the moment they spawn quite a distance away
    2 Move the trigger for the barons (and the shieldbelt) onto the 'road' and move a couple of spawnpoints closer to the trigger, perhaps even alongside or behind it
    3 Move some of the spawnpoints for the BigMen closer to the cabin - again this creates more of a sense of surprise or ambush
    4 Move the trigger for the qDemons to outside the cave and move most of the spawnpoints to close to the ground so that only a few spawn on the top of the mountain (preferably none should spawn there)
You're welcome to edit my edit, if you like.

It may be a shortcoming of my editing skills, but every time I try to move a spawnpoint it stops working.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

SpawnPoint moved will not stop working until some conditions do ruin it:
- Moved to a location where Pawn about to spawn has no place to do that;
- Moving a duplicated copy might screw Tag property;
- Moving SpawnPoint might deliver a Path Screwed.

What do we have ? We have a need for skill. Editing a map is not such an easy task as it do looks like at first look. Good luck in advance !

For editing maps with no major issues probably by importing stuff from MH-Electrolyte or Sk_Godz you will get SpawnPoints type KeyPoint which are not generating navigation paths - are just for spawning and their code can be simplified at once with their factories. At least this is how I would do it. At monsters chapter probably the most of them are going to "suffer", as long as I'll drop all crapped codes out and holding them in MyLevel for a minimal pain of admins and no bunches of files used.
With "weapons" is the same story. The rest of cannons are just shit, there are real ScriptedPawn cannons with no errors and they are pretty much good for some MH task... But who cares ? Good pawns are never used, but trash unfinished is happily spread because is a cute forum subject for debates with no reason.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: It may be a shortcoming of my editing skills, but every time I try to move a spawnpoint it stops working.
I've just moved one spawnpoint so far - from by the rocket launcher to the left of the shield belt - and this works OK. I may do more - I'll see. I don't have any great skill in doing this kind of thing so it may be fun to learn a bit more about it.

I'm switching between MH504 and MH2_NS_V2 to play the map as the trigger\factory for the barons doesn't work with the latter version. I've also noticed that, with the latter, monsters can no longer inflict damage upon each other - which is good in some ways (preventing wholesale massacre by BFG balls) but does spoil some of the fun (and skill in placing oneself so that the fire from monsters hits other monsters).
sektor2111 wrote: But who cares ? Good pawns are never used, but trash unfinished is happily spread because is a cute forum subject for debates with no reason.
I'm not sure it is quite true to say good pawns are never used (rather, perhaps, that they are not used a lot). However, the issue in the use of what you (almost certainly rightly) consider to be trash pwans is, as I said before, really one of balancing demonstrable benefits against potential harm. The benefits from using a wide range of pawns, rather than sticking solely to the 'default' UT monsters, are interest, fun and variety, and differing challenges according the type of pawn used and to the context. If, playing off-line, one has used 'trash' pawns in MH or with MonsterSpawn for several years and experienced no discernible harm from using them, then I would suggest the benefits outweigh the potential harm. This is not to say, of course, that improved versions with the poor code removed are not welcomed; that the default UT monsters, properly tweaked, are not challenging and fun to play against; and that it is a 'good idea' to use poorly coded pawns on-line.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm one of admins which wants to play map for ending it, not to end map in a game-crash - because this is where crapped stuff is heading. And there are other good pawns more challenging and more stable than messed up incomplete works.

I was playing DM with monsters as well and I could see dumb things happening I did not find anything that funny then because I spent hours at this point. Later, I coded another DM for this task probably more stable and more monster ready than is BotPack baboon's codes. By having in DM monster doing nothing seriously I see nothing challenging. If player camps nothing happens else maps with poor paths are useless for spawning monsters and there is no game not even from Bot Side.

At MH there are "options" more or less dumb or good
- some admins/players wants to hunt monsters - so they should not do damage each-other;
- some players mainly wants whatever monster friend which probably XCMH as a sample will not have - default monster is not that friendly ready as supposed, and Shrimp made MH for a game against them NOT with them;
- others want a map compatible with whatever mod - here is the chapter which I'm ignoring - DO CODE YOUR SAID MOD PROPERLY or fuck off; Do Mapper needs to take in account 50 MH types, and weapons, and 2 GB of stuff which admin might load ? Nope. That's not the mapper's job. All MH's mapping default hints are posted in original MH Web-Site (still alive), the rest are stories. Shrimp was speaking about 'new monsters' but was not saying anything about retarded codes as being recommended, or I might need new glasses to read that phrase;
- others are loading everything to player in a cheating type config - yeah, turn off threatening about not following server rules because those rules are garbage out of gaming fair play, poor monster should only die and player should only live over boosted by all tools possible; I can help you here to set monster all monsters with 20 health for making game more retarded if this is the main MH goal in 2017.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Haven't gotten around to editing a new Hell version, yet. Been a hectic couple weeks.

When it's ready to go again, it will go here · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/116266.html
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758