DM-ForbiddenTomb

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Diego_HoF
Experienced
Personal rank: HoF Admin

DM-ForbiddenTomb

Post by Diego_HoF »

DM-ForbiddenTomb

What happends when a company like Liandri finds a forbidden king's tomb with tresaures?
Well sell the tresaures and convert the tomb to a Unreal Tournament Arena, but for some reason
some workers disappear or got kill by something inside the pyramid during exploration and set up.

But Liandri didn't care about it and with this extra mystery will make this Forbidden Tomb a nice play to fight and die.

WARNING:
This map is dangerous for any contender that doesn't know about them, BE CAREFUL.

Central Area(Safe Zone?)

Rooms

Attachments
DM-ForbiddenTomb.rar
Forbidden Tomb
(266.54 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Last edited by Diego_HoF on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: DM-Tombstone

Post by papercoffee »

:shock: This is a lot of open space ...there is nowhere to hide or to counter-play.
Here just for inspiration my own pyramid themed map http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-to ... gWar-Kairo :mrgreen:
Diego_HoF
Experienced

Post by Diego_HoF »

papercoffee wrote::shock: This is a lot of open space ...there is nowhere to hide or to counter-play.
Here just for inspiration my own pyramid themed map http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-to ... gWar-Kairo :mrgreen:
Well if you want to fight outside and get bored ok.... the fun is inside the pyramid and hidden hehehehe :satan:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Diego_HoF wrote:
papercoffee wrote::shock: This is a lot of open space ...there is nowhere to hide or to counter-play.
Well if you want to fight outside and get bored ok.... the fun is inside the pyramid and hidden hehehehe :satan:
I've meant the inside. ;)
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

There already is a DM-Tombstone! :-|
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Hook wrote:There already is a DM-Tombstone! :-|
I was about to say that. Although the DM-Tombstone I'm familiar with is based on the shootout at the OK Corral.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Diego_HoF
Experienced

Post by Diego_HoF »

EvilGrins wrote:
Hook wrote:There already is a DM-Tombstone! :-|
I was about to say that. Although the DM-Tombstone I'm familiar with is based on the shootout at the OK Corral.
Well damn.... didn't know that, after checking it, there like 5 versions of Tombstone(SUF,UFC).

Gonna change it to DM-ForbiddenTomb just to keep the theme,i know i can add like DEG or HoF or something to it but i don't want to, and can't use DIE.
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: DM-ForbiddenTomb

Post by sektor2111 »

And by using generic names, soon, another dude will do a map named like that. What's the purpose for using generic names which anyone can use ? Mismatches. Who cares anyway ? They are not stock files.
AS another info, AlternatePath in a DM is USELESS. If you are using Editor to do the Bot Pathing I'm not interested - You need to learn this chapter. Editor is far from good at doing paths.
[attachment=0]What_For.PNG[/attachment]
A sample of things which I don't load in my repositories.
Each time when Bot will go for UDamage it will probably die - Where is the challenge then ? Happening of course if will not be skating between 2 nodes due to over-loaded spot for no reason.
Attachments
What_For.PNG
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

All the names have been used.

At this point mappers should start grabbing names from ancient mythologies.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Do you know how the problem of colliding names was solved decades ago?
Namespaces

While unlike modern stuff you do not have much of a "namespace" system in UEngine itself (other than the package names themselves, which should not be relied upon anyway due to IsA amongst other things), since ancient times (pun intended) people used a notation to define a namespace in how they name things in the first place.

It's very simple: choose a notation in how to name things, and use it consistently.
Then use a different notation to split up what is the actual name from the namespace.

Mappers and modders in UT do this for years, by simply adding their name or brand or some other thing as a prefix to their stuff:
DM-FoT-ChronoShift (FoT is the namespace and ChronoShift is the actual name of the map)
XC_Engine (XC = namespace, Engine = actual intended package name)

The general notation used across even different platforms and languages is using either camelCase or PascalCase, and then use underscores or hyphens to separate the names, as shown above.

In your case, you can keep the name ForbiddenTomb, but the actual map could be called instead:
DM-DiegoHoF-ForbiddenTomb (for example)

DiegoHoF can become the namespace for your stuff.
In other things the first names used as namespace is also called the "vendor".

None of those names are trademarked so no one can ask you to change it, all you should do is to simply make sure they never collide with existing stuff, not necessarily change the name altogether.
After all, there aren't many words in English to actually express what you're trying to pass across, compared to other languages at least, so it's easy to collide, and no one should ostracize you for it.
Hank
Novice

Post by Hank »

Sorry if i offend you but, your map is not complete in my opinion. Like paper said, there's too much open space... nowhere to take cover when needed. Pure crap, again sorry but maybe a little more practice mapping before posting/releasing them to the public. There's already enough crap out there, you need to get the community interested. :sleep:
Diego_HoF
Experienced

Post by Diego_HoF »

nogardilaref wrote:Do you know how the problem of colliding names was solved decades ago?
Namespaces

While unlike modern stuff you do not have much of a "namespace" system in UEngine itself (other than the package names themselves, which should not be relied upon anyway due to IsA amongst other things), since ancient times (pun intended) people used a notation to define a namespace in how they name things in the first place.

It's very simple: choose a notation in how to name things, and use it consistently.
Then use a different notation to split up what is the actual name from the namespace.

Mappers and modders in UT do this for years, by simply adding their name or brand or some other thing as a prefix to their stuff:
DM-FoT-ChronoShift (FoT is the namespace and ChronoShift is the actual name of the map)
XC_Engine (XC = namespace, Engine = actual intended package name)

The general notation used across even different platforms and languages is using either camelCase or PascalCase, and then use underscores or hyphens to separate the names, as shown above.

In your case, you can keep the name ForbiddenTomb, but the actual map could be called instead:
DM-DiegoHoF-ForbiddenTomb (for example)

DiegoHoF can become the namespace for your stuff.
In other things the first names used as namespace is also called the "vendor".

None of those names are trademarked so no one can ask you to change it, all you should do is to simply make sure they never collide with existing stuff, not necessarily change the name altogether.
After all, there aren't many words in English to actually express what you're trying to pass across, compared to other languages at least, so it's easy to collide, and no one should ostracize you for it.
I'm not good with names so i don't have a maespace yet and with my name is kinda hard(maybe DIE or DEG), for now i want to get experience with mapping and the feedback is good to have some kind of pattern to follow when making maps.
Hank wrote:Sorry if i offend you but, your map is not complete in my opinion. Like paper said, there's too much open space... nowhere to take cover when needed. Pure crap, again sorry but maybe a little more practice mapping before posting/releasing them to the public. There's already enough crap out there, you need to get the community interested. :sleep:
Well, this is the only way to know if you are doing good or bad, making others see for our mistakes, maybe later i can make a FIX or ][ version with better judgement and planning
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Diego_HoF wrote: Well, this is the only way to know if you are doing good or bad, making others see for our mistakes, maybe later i can make a FIX or ][ version with better judgement and planning
That's the spirit!
I recommend this thread for showing off beta map footage.
Diego_HoF
Experienced

Post by Diego_HoF »

I add the FIX Version to MyMaps Thread instead of here so go there to download it(My mind was done when posting this map :| )
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12288