Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Re: Mapping Contest Theme Discussion

Post by memsys »

I would be up for another limited filesize contest.

IIRC the 512K contest had the most submissions and the most varied content.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Big Box UT is up for grabs as a prize! :)
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Carbon wrote:Big Box UT is up for grabs as a prize! :)
How many of these do you have? :lol2:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

My suggestion...... Chaos theme (as always)
UT GOTY edition has resources that people are ignoring and never even look at, yet the majority of UT players have.
What a waste of disc space.

Every time I make the suggestion people make a big fuss about not wanting to use non-standard weapons, then ignore me saying you make Chaos maps with normal weapons, the mod swaps them.
All Chaos maps work without using Chaos, just as Chaos works in all non Chaos maps

Sci-fi medieval horror is the classic theme of Chaos, so perhaps you could plan maps for Halloween use (coming soon).

I can arrange for Chaos maps to be permanently hosted on the official Chaos servers (one in USA and one in EU) :wink:
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

Chaos sounds fun to me. I have some ideas for a chaotic map. It's not actually themed the way you think though. But I don't think I can delve into that kind of complex mapping theme yet. I have some hard times with mapping still.

These contest really help me practice though.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

The map idea that I had for this contest would certainly fit Chaos theme.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Then let's make a Halloween-Chaos themed contest with the rules of the poll ...We need more voters.
But as it seems some "limits" are already on the home stretch.
Game-types: any
Dimensions: 4096uu
Dependencies: MyLevel and default files
Filesize: any
Le Impact Frag
Average
Personal rank: Aftermatch janitor

Post by Le Impact Frag »

Personally, I would love to have a 512k contest. Mostly, this is because of a few reasons.

The main reason being the previous contest's gimmick was 3072uu. Now, don't get me wrong, that was a pretty good idea, but I don't want the map size limitations to run dry by being the (probably) only gimmick on a few contests in a row. Maybe we holster the 4096uu thing for the next one?

On the other hand, 4096uu is WAY more than enough space for someone like me. And for the given time space of 4 weeks, it wouldn't really be a limitation other than forcing people into using z axis more.

Also, If we agree to make it chaos themed, can we please not holster the competition until Christmas? Someone said it will be on the holiday season and I can't wait until December :ironic2:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Chaos sounds mkay for me too. :tu:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Le Impact Frag wrote:can we please not holster the competition until Christmas? Someone said it will be on the holiday season and I can't wait until December :ironic2:
:ironic: ...Halloween isn't on X-mas ...or is it?
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

Started as something to be build during the summer, then passed to Halloween, and now people start talking about Christmas.
I wonder if tomorrow we'll be at Easter and then back to summer next Saturday. :lol2:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

nogardilaref wrote:Uh? It's during holidays people have more time to dedicate some of it to this sort of thing, so it's actually the best time for it.
Dear Gods, man! Do you not set up your tree, gather the family in from all corners of the Earth, and shop shop shop?!?
OjitroC wrote:I think that when EG says "the Holiday Season", he is alluding to Christmas/New Year (but I might be wrong about that).
I usually stretch it from Halloween to New Year's, but yes.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
nogardilaref
Masterful

Post by nogardilaref »

EvilGrins wrote:
nogardilaref wrote:Uh? It's during holidays people have more time to dedicate some of it to this sort of thing, so it's actually the best time for it.
Dear Gods, man! Do you not set up your tree, gather the family in from all corners of the Earth, and shop shop shop?!?
Me and my family do set up the tree, do not shop much, and effectively my real family is 2 people and 1 dog (the ones which actually count to me), and we have fun throughout the year, as we don't save all the fun for Christmas alone (although we have our own fun traditions for Christmas).

And what I see at that time is that there is generally a ton of people playing games online, developing stuff, releasing stuff and doing other non-family things, even in RL and not from Internet alone.
So it seems to me that people have indeed such a time in that season.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

nogardilaref wrote: .. So it seems to me that people have indeed such a time in that season.
Have a look through the 2015 Terrain Mapping Contest thread (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6550#p77099) and you'll see it was the timing (mid-November to mid-January), as much as the theme, that led to the low number of submissions and the other problems. So I think it is fair to say that there is some evidence to back EG's point that this is a period to avoid.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

OK, TO ALL .... stop talking about X-mas and the holidays around it. We won't wait till the end of the year till this contest starts, that's for sure. :mad2:

I say, we start this event next month and have maps ready before Halloween even begins. That way we have many nice maps we can slap on a server and play them during the spooky season.