Has the no-replies-to-old-posts rule changed?

Do you want to say something about UT99.org?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Has the no-replies-to-old-posts rule changed?

Post by EvilGrins »

Noticed a lot of old posts, dormant for over a year, have been replied to lately. Wouldn't mention it normally but that's one of the things I got chastised for when I first joined here.

I used to skim these when I first came here · search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&sea ... &start=350 · and got flak for replying to them.

So, is it okay to do so now?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Has the no-replies-to-old-posts rule changed?

Post by papercoffee »

What purpose would it have to answer to such old and busted threads?
You would only make the forum more confusing.

And yes, I must say, the staff nowadays let too much of this slip and didn't inform the poster about this rule. :|
Diego_HoF
Experienced
Personal rank: HoF Admin

Post by Diego_HoF »

:what: Question:

What happen if someone just return to this forum after a long hiatus(can be a 6 months, a year or more) and start to post in old thread he/she made or reply?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Diego_HoF wrote::what: Question:

What happen if someone just return to this forum after a long hiatus(can be a 6 months, a year or more) and start to post in old thread he/she made or reply?
Then they should have a very good reason to do so.
At least they should feel a little bit sorry to necrobump a thread. :wink:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Off-topic section. No necro-bumps
Never necro-bump to say "I agree/disagree with post X"

As with double-posting, context and requirement can outweigh the house rules.

If it is your thread and you wish to continue the topic to add more related info, then that thread is the best place.
If you have important information relating to a thread, then the thread may be the best place for it.
If you really really need to wake all subscribers to the thread, it should be because of something like a cancellation notice, or because a question you have can be of use in the thread,
For example; "where can I get the files, all these links are broken, does anyone in this thread still have them ?"
This means other people that find the thread, will not also make a second thread asking the same question you did.

Yes I miss a lot of necro-bumps because I do most of the post reading via RSS, so I only see the new posts, not the thread.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I thought we have debated already "unanswered" posts.
Some of them have only a new information related to forum or to a server - THEY DO NOT NEED reply as a must - What for after all ?

Some of them are pretty much silly - posting posts. Again why such thing do needs a reply ? Just to charge forum making it harder to read ?

Others are not UT99 related, their answers are not here - at some of them only ISP service of poster can reply - wrong place to post why you don't see your host address - because some ISPs are restrictive in accessing Owner's external IP address by Owner itself from inside Owner's network (here we have Telekom as a sample), and that has nothing to do with UT server, Web Server, FTP server, VNC server and so on... and this is a hit for developers/testers because they have problems in figuring if their service is OK or not from outside using an external IP check. I hate these practices.

Other is a sort of UT99 God - yeah, everyone is suddenly God, Master, King and such until his ass gets kicked in some server by professionals, posting some game hints which non-players do not care, and players KNOW IT ALREADY - useless posting.

And we can keep going with posts posted having no downloads, no valid info, no reliability. Sometimes is fun to see their "pictures" expired :loool: , at least I keep building list with hosts hosting signatures for making forum more readable without loading useless content.

Others have info, have downloads but are LOCKED - no future posting and have BAD content - yeah, SwingingDoor doesn't work well On-Line regarding to the rich script written there - I was testing these being curious about dropping it in a map (MH-A3000 was one previous MH-A3001) and I've deleted that.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:I thought we have debated already "unanswered" posts.
Wasn't all about the unanswered, also applies to posts that've been dead for months or years.

I only mentioned the unanswered as that was where my initial trouble lay.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I am aware of said reason of what Dr.Flay has posted, maybe I was known about it in a PM when discussing about some kind of post rule.

But I was also told if replying to the post with some useful information, it is also okay. :?:
I think I heard that from Ferali Dragon. Idr.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Chamberly wrote:I am aware of said reason of what Dr.Flay has posted, maybe I was known about it in a PM when discussing about some kind of post rule.

But I was also told if replying to the post with some useful information, it is also okay. :?:
I think I heard that from Ferali Dragon. Idr.
Exactly!
If the poster who bumped a dead thread adds nutrition to the post... it's ok.