No translocator ? and Map

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

No translocator ? and Map

Post by Red_Fist »

Is there a way to not allow the translocator built into a DOM map ? or any map.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: No translocator ?

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Red_Fist wrote:Is there a way to not allow the translocator built into a DOM map ? or any map.
Isn't there a standard mutator like "no translocators"?
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

But it needs to be in the map build.

I mean so it can't be overridden from the user.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Stuff Swapper. Change it with a health vial.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

papercoffee wrote:Stuff Swapper. Change it with a health vial.

Yes but, you have it when the match starts, not a pickup. I think it's left to the user when you start a game to uncheck the translocator checkbox. So it needs to be built in the map.

I would also like to eliminate the impact hammer, because this map it would seem as cheating, to a point, I suppose I will just have to let it go for this type of mod. Trying to combat default gametype settings built in the map would be the only way.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok... do I get this right?
If you start this particular map and you disabled the transloc in the game menu ...you still have it in your inventory?
Oh and instead of the Impact hammer try the chainsaw ...it's not that easy to use but more satisfying. :mrgreen:
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

The one who runs the map (local player or server) has full control over what weapons may be used or not. You cannot prevent players from using items by mapping. (Have you thought of double/triple jump mutator? Low grav mutator? ...)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Barbie wrote:The one who runs the map (local player or server) has full control over what weapons may be used or not. You cannot prevent players from using items by mapping. (Have you thought of double/triple jump mutator? Low grav mutator? ...)
Oh ...now I get it he wants to make a map with those two items disabled!
No, that's not good.

@Red_Fist
I mean think about special weapons. The Rocket-Launcher from the Quake3 weap-pack can perform rocket-jumps ...something similar can the Salad Thrower from FoodFight... use the Damage-mod with momentum activated and you can use every weapon to propel yourself into the air.
If you want to prevent the player to traverse through the map via Transloc and Hammer-jump, I would suggest to use block-alls.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I read someplace a mapper wanted to insert a mutator in a map, and there was some code but I didn't understand it.
And it might not have dealt with items , some other thing he was doing.

Why do they make gametypes and mutators actors placable in the first place ? :noidea

Well if I can at least try and replace the impact hammer with the chainsaw, but how can that be done. The impact hammer is ALSO a default for DOM.

Otherwise I will just leave it and let it flow, it's not a very awesome map so it's not going to ruin my UT life.

But using a translocator kind of messes up the whole idea. That thing should only be available in CTF in my opinion, I hate the trans, it's unrealistic in that it allows players to go places they are not supposed to go. So in other maps it overrides what the map author wanted. I also despised the grapple in Quake 1
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Red_Fist wrote: Why do they make gametypes and mutators actors placable in the first place ? :noidea
Every actor in a .u file is placeable ...but this doesn't mean you have to. :mrgreen:
Red_Fist wrote:Well if I can at least try and replace the impact hammer with the chainsaw, but how can that be done. The impact hammer is ALSO a default for DOM.
If you run a server, you decide what weapon and item is used on any map.
I totally misunderstood and thought you have problems with a map you've downloaded. As a mapper I would suggest to let it go... every forced restriction in a map can cause problems on a server.
Block player from entering places by Block-All actors.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Now in UT2004 I made it so nobody could use adrenalin and stock sniper rifle and they could not be added or changed no matter what. But it can't work that way in UT99.

This map
http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal-to ... M-3Pole2k4

I forgot what I did, but it overrides mutators and eliminated stock sniper rifle.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

If you still want this let me know. It can be done so it can't be overridden nor will it conflict with server options (aside from awarding a translocator, natch). Depends how deep you want to go though. I can get really evil if someone tries to bypass this restriction you place, it's up to you :evil laughter:

I understand the reluctance of people to help in things like this but the way I've always viewed it is that if it's your map you are free to add restrictions as you see fit provided they apply to everyone. If someone doesn't agree then they can elect not to play/use the map. Creativity should be allowed and great leeway should be given to the artist so that his vision for what the project can be is fulfilled. The court of public opinion will decide if it's "good" or not.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Yes I would, :thuup: it's not a major map just a one room romp style, but if they use a trans or the impact hammer it will be like cheating. If I want to add vertical play I would just add jumpboots, at least those run out and you have to go collect them risking your life.

Map isn't done yet, I just have a crapload of textures to align and a few other simple things to finish off.

Or maybe if I screw up the gravity to pull down more, but then that is messing with other factors.

But mainly the translocator, it's just too much, too easy, and defeats the map layout.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Drop me an email when you are done and I'll add whatever you need to it. We can discuss the exact limitations you want to impose. agutgopostal at hotmail dot com
So long, and thanks for all the fish
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote:The one who runs the map (local player or server) has full control over what weapons may be used or not. You cannot prevent players from using items by mapping.
I would not count on that... For others which don't have a good memory, there is some MH map where you have only what MAP IS SAYING. I'm not forcing memory to recall the title because such a map is (re-)DOABLE, even if Wiki says nothing or it says very few things :mrgreen: at this point. And if we take in account options a la 2017 you can properly ruin all stuff which is not mapped :satan: forcing player to use ONLY allowed content without crashing game in infinite recursions.