Fake players mod detection [WIP]

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
UT99.org

Re: Fake players mod detection [WIP]

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Hmm I might retract that last comment. It would certainly be an option if a redirect server wanted to check certain files for matches. There are other ways to do it of course
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Well, the two people I spoke about that hosted these two mods that adds fake players to the servers are Skillz and Medor. Skillz replied my request to move them with the simple answer : no. And I know that medor have read the PM yesderday but haven't replied and the files are still hosted from his site.

They no longer have my respect :thudown:

EDIT:

Due to the fact that it appears to be accepted that these mods are hosted publicy and used by admins I have decided to post some example code snippets here: http://www.forum.unrealtournament.info/ ... f=18&t=164

How I will do this in my own mods are TOTALY MY CHOICE. I don't want to hear what you think I should do or not do, and what should be explained about my mod towards what it does. When a server admin decides to use these crap mods CLIENTS GETS NO EXPLANATION AT ALL!! All they get is fake image of an empty server appearing to be crowded.

My ways of using this in the future, that is IF I will have future releases, will be based on these considderations: 1. the mod is public available on Skillz's and medor's sites. 2. It appears to be no issue of concern for many key members of this forum. 3. I don't want my mods to be affiliated with servers running that crap. 4. Quoting D.Scheerens who is the author of one of the crap mods from declaring the very first variable in his mod like this:
var int fakePlayerCount; // Number of fake players.
NONE of you here can claim that this mod was made with any other intention but to fake the player count on the server - which doesn't keep me from simply going for my option #2 to disable the fake player mod instead - WITHOUT notice. I could write a note in the readme file that this will happen when using my mod, but I feel NO obligations towards server admins running fake player mods.
Retired.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:
TheDane wrote:Well, the two people I spoke about that hosted these two mods that adds fake players to the servers are Skillz and Medor. Skillz replied my request to move them with the simple answer : no. And I know that medor have read the PM yesderday but haven't replied and the files are still hosted from his site.

They no longer have my respect :thudown:

EDIT:

Due to the fact that it appears to be accepted that these mods are hosted publicy and used by admins I have decided to post some example code snippets here: http://www.forum.unrealtournament.info/ ... f=18&t=164

How I will do this in my own mods are TOTALY MY CHOICE. I don't want to hear what you think I should do or not do, and what should be explained about my mod towards what it does. When a server admin decides to use these crap mods CLIENTS GETS NO EXPLANATION AT ALL!! All they get is fake image of an empty server appearing to be crowded.

My ways of using this in the future, that is IF I will have future releases, will be based on these considderations: 1. the mod is public available on Skillz's and medor's sites. 2. It appears to be no issue of concern for many key members of this forum. 3. I don't want my mods to be affiliated with servers running that crap. 4. Quoting D.Scheerens who is the author of one of the crap mods from declaring the very first variable in his mod like this:
var int fakePlayerCount; // Number of fake players.
NONE of you here can claim that this mod was made with any other intention but to fake the player count on the server - which doesn't keep me from simply going for my option #2 to disable the fake player mod instead - WITHOUT notice. I could write a note in the readme file that this will happen when using my mod, but I feel NO obligations towards server admins running fake player mods.
Well you just suggest me my answer here so it's no to. :?

If you do a fake players mods I would be happy to publish at my utfiles. :tu:

By cons I think you have do a lot of publicity for these mods fake players and told the people where to download :thudown:
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

medor wrote: By cons I think you have do a lot of publicity for these mods fake players and told the people where to download :thudown:
If this is bad then why do you host the files????? :noidea
medor wrote: If you do a fake players mods I would be happy to publish at my utfiles. :tu:
And this is why you got banned at my site, I don't want to be Affiliated with anyone beeing proud of contributing to the spread of such mods + the fact that you also use your site to host warez.
Last edited by TheDane on Sat May 10, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.
Darkelarious
Skilled
Personal rank: 333networks admin

Post by Darkelarious »

Perhaps a client-side alternative?

The UBrowser obtains the query, number of (fake) players. On join, the amount of players is counted again. If there is a variation in player number that is too big compared to normal join/leave behaviour of other players, the client-side mods just disconnects and shows the console with some kind of message: "you asked me to throw you out in case of fake players, well, this was a server with fake players".

That would defeat the purpose of fake players in the first place, and the client actively choses to boycot fake players on a server. The player would make the choice to install this mod, so the entire malware/forced decision and such are no longer an argument.

Is this a consideration?
--Darkelarious
Masterserver | Discord Channel
Oh, and we still are ready to receive donations. The url works, right? It doesn't seem to be doing anything...
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

Darkelarious wrote:Perhaps a client-side alternative?

The UBrowser obtains the query, number of (fake) players. On join, the amount of players is counted again. If there is a variation in player number that is too big compared to normal join/leave behaviour of other players, the client-side mods just disconnects and shows the console with some kind of message: "you asked me to throw you out in case of fake players, well, this was a server with fake players".

That would defeat the purpose of fake players in the first place, and the client actively choses to boycot fake players on a server. The player would make the choice to install this mod, so the entire malware/forced decision and such are no longer an argument.

Is this a consideration?
That sounds like a good way to help the clients :tu:

My plan here was to give modders the choice too so they don't end up on one of the "proud" servers medor so happily keeps assist in running.
Retired.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

medor wrote:Well you just suggest me my answer here so it's no to. :?

If you do a fake players mods I would be happy to publish at my utfiles. :tu:

By cons I think you have do a lot of publicity for these mods fake players and told the people where to download :thudown:
:???: Ok now did you lost me ...
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

So should I send you my aimbots, server crashers, hacked UTPures, ACE bypasses, etc to host too? I hope the community judges you by your actions here.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:It wouldn't work Dark, client-side mod would have to block Pure from starting. It's a very gray area. As in, it could be done, but it would set a bad precedent. although that said, Pure is not considered a major anti-cheat and more of a fix to numerous problems. Ace alone should kick you for performing anything UScripted like you you mention, but it would give you time to perform the check before you get booted at least
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

I have been running UT-servers for over 10 years now and this fake-players mod have always been a nail in the eye for me and those of us who try and run servers the honest way, and I say a big YES to dane to create this at all cost, and for the lamers who use it and host these files to it GO F***K YOURSELF, coz as kelly wrote whats the diff then to host all hacked UT-stuff ,aimbots,bypasses, and all other lame crap that ruin the game for the rest of us....Just my 5 cent...
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

absolutely looking forward to this. i can't stand browsing populated servers only to realize majority of servers are using fake bots with pings
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Dark, I could say it will be very simple just to have another server tab with nobots being displayed. Because there is some peoples out there who just rather play with bots or humans by choice. Even both.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:
TheDane wrote:
medor wrote: By cons I think you have do a lot of publicity for these mods fake players and told the people where to download :thudown:
If this is bad then why do you host the files????? :noidea
medor wrote: If you do a fake players mods I would be happy to publish at my utfiles. :tu:
And this is why you got banned at my site, I don't want to be Affiliated with anyone beeing proud of contributing to the spread of such mods + the fact that you also use your site to host warez.
That is good. you banned without right of reply.
Compliments for ferplay. :noidea

The UT Bible according to St.TheDane :thudown:

Skillz and all of you bow before your holy TheDane
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:medor I sometimes wonder if you understand what any of your files do. I've seen your french readme files and they are never correct. I don't think this is entirely your fault and so you cannot be blamed. Maybe you do not know what fake players are? You were banned from a forum I administrated a long time ago for continous spamming of irrelevent files. The last straw was when you were posting that d3d player check with all the accessed none errors, I can't be seen to promote something like that. I see you've stopped spamming your UT here, do you know why it was banned here? :???:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Fuck it, he's not going to listen. He has his own agenda and there's seemingly no swaying him. I guess that's his right but it also carries it's own repercussions. KAAL chose to go his own way and ignore the community at large too.

Knock yourself out medor. Shall I send you my cheat files to host too?
So long, and thanks for all the fish