Why is UT99 the best?

Discussions about UT99
[did]Madis
Adept
Personal rank: カニはとても美味しい

Re: Why is UT99 the best?

Post by [did]Madis »

I only played an earlier iteration of NWII, but I was really impressed. With that and the RX/VX (sorry i dont know those mods that well) that's some very impressive modding.
Support Nuclear Races by visiting our ModDB profile
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Feralidragon wrote: Image
What is this weapon from... ??!!???
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

You will find the answer one line above the screenshot. (Re-read Feralis post)
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

This is Feralis LG ???
Oh ....ok ....cooooool
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

papercoffee wrote:This is Feralis LG ???
Oh ....ok ....cooooool
No, it's not my weapon LOL This is the most impressive LG I ever saw in a game. This one is from Ballistic Weapons for UT2004.
I wish I could stuff like that LMAO :lol2:
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

>_> *sigh*

Its from the UT2004 Mod "Ballistic Weapons". Please, learn to read carefully. It is very useful.

edit: To late.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
[]Coi[]
Novice

Post by []Coi[] »

Look at the population of the servers in UT99 and UT2004.

In UT99, almost 3/4 of the gameservers are populated.

In UT2004, only 1/3 is populated. You need to be lucky to find a good assault server.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

[]Coi[] wrote:Look at the population of the servers in UT99 and UT2004.

In UT2004, only 1/3 is populated. You need to be lucky to find a good assault server.
Let's not even get started on UT3... I had a hell of a time finding a deathmatch the last time I played it. I imagine it probably improved a little (this was shot almost a year ago) but still, you should NEVER have this problem with a game that's less than five years old.

http://img108.mytextgraphics.com/photol ... 1vozwc.png
rohitggarg
Adept
Personal rank: The name is Bu||et

Post by rohitggarg »

Yesterday i played on a CTF server. I saw name of a player as 740MhzCPU.. :lol: At first i thought some bot is playing :P but then a thought struck my mind that yea you can actually play UT99 at that CPU. Then suddenly he started chatting and said that he's got a 740 Mhz CPU and 8M video card and he was more than happy playing UT...

That's another major factor why this UT will not ever loose out.

~~~~!!!!!LONG LIVE UT 99!!!!!~~~~
Regards,
Rohit

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.............

My website : http://www.appointmentagent.com
brdempsey69
Average
Personal rank: Ex Marine

Post by brdempsey69 »

Lee_Stricklin wrote:
Let's not even get started on UT3... I had a hell of a time finding a deathmatch the last time I played it. I imagine it probably improved a little (this was shot almost a year ago) but still, you should NEVER have this problem with a game that's less than five years old.

It's because Epic didn't make the PC version of UT3 correctly. It has consolitis all over it, and to this day the PC version of UT3 remains a broken & unfinished product. The netcoding for UT3 is, by far, the worst of the UT series. That's why people aren't playing it.

In original UT everything works the way it's supposed to. It's easy to run a server & push custom content to clients using file compression. People with decent internet connections can connect to a UT server, get the custom content downloaded to them quickly ( if the server is set up right ), and get in the game in a much more reasonable amount of time than they can with UT3.

Original UT remains the best, because when it was made, it was a PC game first & foremost. It's successors were not.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

rohitggarg wrote:Yesterday i played on a CTF server. I saw name of a player as 740MhzCPU.. :lol: At first i thought some bot is playing :P but then a thought struck my mind that yea you can actually play UT99 at that CPU. Then suddenly he started chatting and said that he's got a 740 Mhz CPU and 8M video card and he was more than happy playing UT...

That's another major factor why this UT will not ever loose out.

~~~~!!!!!LONG LIVE UT 99!!!!!~~~~
Been there done that, less than three years ago actually. When I joined my first gaming clan I ran UT99 on 32MB of RAM, an 8GB HDD, 4MB ATI Rage Pro, and an Intel Pentium III. I got 17 fps on a 512 X 384 res after I did a few tweaks and strangely that was playable.
brdempsey69 wrote:Original UT remains the best, because when it was made, it was a PC game first & foremost. It's successors were not.
True that UT2k3 was just a different version Unreal Championship and 2k4 was just a complete version of 2k3. UT3 was developed with the PS3 mostly in mind even though it hit the PC first and it sucked so bad that less than 2 years after release you can find all three versions of it in bargain bins.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Lee_Stricklin wrote:
[]Coi[] wrote:Look at the population of the servers in UT99 and UT2004.

Well I don't know where you live, but I never had trouble finding DM game in UT3, not a year ago, not now.
Things are improved over time.
http://i38.tinypic.com/1zbtksi.jpg
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

Raynor wrote:Well I don't know where you live, but I never had trouble finding DM game in UT3, not a year ago, not now.
Must have been that CenturyHELL (CenturyTel) connection that I ditched. Or maybe the timezone (I'm in the middle of the US) had something to do with it?
brdempsey69
Average
Personal rank: Ex Marine

Post by brdempsey69 »

Raynor wrote: Well I don't know where you live, but I never had trouble finding DM game in UT3, not a year ago, not now.
But you can't trust those numbers in the server browser of any copy of UT3 that been patched to 2.0 -- 2.1. That ' + ' sign next to those player numbers indicates that it's counting bots. That isn't accurately reflecting the number of real players on line. Here's the proof:

http://www.brdempsey69.com/ut3deception.jpg

That picture was taken today & it's from a copy of UT3 patched to 1.3. It does accurately reflect the real number of online players. I counted 110 Players in the Deathmatch servers. Original UT had twice as many. Lee_Stricklin is right, UT3 should have more players, and yet it's being easily beaten by a game that is 5 times as old -- original UT.

And I don't think it's that much a case of hardware requirements needed to play UT3, like it was 2 years ago when UT3 was first released. The hardware needed to run UT3 can be had for cheap, nowadays.

It's more of a case of the original UT bringing a better overall package to the table than UT3 -- at least for me, it does.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

The funny thing is I don't even think hardware was as big of an issue with UT3 that everybody thought it was going to be. When I first fired it up it was running on a 3GHz 478 socket Pentium 4 and a 64 bit Geforce 6200 with 256MB of RAM. Once you find a tool to tweak your ini (lightmaps can be MURDER) you can get it to run on even lower-end hardware. The real reason that nobody plays UT3 is that it sucks.