Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament [UT4]

Discussions about everything else
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Epic: Future of Unreal Tournament [UT4]

Post by papercoffee »

Dr.Flay wrote:Wormbo is now in charge of developing the new Jailbreak mod :D
Looks like mods that stood out in the past have a good chance of being standard.
Coolio indeed :D
Hm... a new Monster Hunt? Or ...a new ChaosUT? :mrgreen:
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:There has been a LOT of talk about their pre-alpha. I'm glad they made it so hard to obtain now. There's many articles and discussions on pre-alpha things like half-time, mostly in a negative context. I am glad they addressed this on the latest podcast. They dropped some hints that they will start looking at the mechanics now, which correlates perfectly with the fact you have to sign up to get the latest build. They seem to want comments. I urge those who like UT99 mechanics to have your say. This was something that really killed the UTs after UT99 was the gameplay mechanics.

VOD link:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

billybill wrote:This was something that really killed the UTs after UT99 was the gameplay mechanics.
^THIS
The gameplay mechanics of UT2k4 was ok ...but only in Onslaught ... DM or CTF was crap as hell.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I totally agree. It makes sense to make an official release and only to forum members.
I see a lot of new people in the BuF IRC room bitching about how it can't do this or that, without realising it is still a basic framework.
Unfortunately we now live in a world where public access to Alphas is common, and becoming standard to the point people hand over money.
At least crowd-funding has more honesty as people are more prepared for vapor-ware.
Most people with no dev experience downloading it, are only interested in the prospect of a free game, and the kudos of playing something that is not released.

Epic have admitted they are trying anything that sounds reasonable, and if it works, it stays.
Movement is a good example. As they have not been able to replicate some desired features and so have been trying some radical new ideas, which may even give us the ability to to a sliding-tackle on an opponent. Intersting melee optin where you don't swap weapons.
I mentioned how cool a Parkor mod would be, and the reply came back "it is already being planned".

Some people see this as Epic having no direction in mind, but since the community and team vibe is that a story is not needed (eg. UT3), they can simply concentrate on the core of making the perfect arena-shooter.
Other than that goal, no "direction" is yet set in stone.
People that have had ideas translated into reality have generally posted with pictures and videos of examples and mockups.

Seriously, at this very early point, anyone can still post something that turns our world upside-down with sheer awesomeness for a team-fight experience.
It is UT, and it will be modable and have mutators.
Game-types have always been something you can bolt in later, so we won't see much in that way until the core, weapons and pickups are all made.
Do not expect UT4 any time soon. It will be ready when it is ready.

There seems to be plenty of interest in Chaos at the Epic site, which has caught the eye of certain people :mrgreen:
http://forums.chaoticdreams.org/viewtop ... 647#p69317
The rumour is that if there is enough interest they may swap engines for a while ;)
It may require a few more devs to help it happen, but if people want it bad enough they should be falling over themselves to offer their help.
We are early enough for it to happen, so talk amongst your Chaos loving friends and raise some interest.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

with the size of the pool and the wips , it seems only logical to move camp IMO.

but we'll keep coming back for a game or two ofc.

what epic has done essentially is provided a system which is not limited by this engines capabilities and/or ever decreasing developer network.

maybe Mr loathesome is already there preparing the camp fire for us :)
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I want to share a little story about how bad UT3 sucks and why UT3 will be better. So a caster friend who plays another game went over to Singapore for some of his e-sports work. He decides to enter a UT3 competition with actual pros, completely out of the blue. He's at an actual event where people go and play the games they are professional in. Anyway, so he comes back with a trophy and prize money for a game he had barely played. I like to think my story is very telling on what a bad game it was :D
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hourences is on Twitch talking about his Unreal history.

They now have low quality streams so low spec PCs should cope

If you have XP, then try this http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5672&p=63710

Code: Select all

livestreamer http://twitch.tv/unrealengine mobile
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5967&p=68694#p68694
code187 wrote:Hi UT gamers,

My UT nick is code187 some of you may know me but for those who don't Ive been playing ut99 since the beta, my favorite weapons are shock rifle and rocket launcher.

Since UT4 Pre-Alpha came out Ive only been playing and testing it out and providing feedback on bugs, movement, weapons etc

I would like to share the official community facebook page where there are lots of cool UT99 map remakes for UT4. and new maps for you to have a look at and keep up to date with latest news

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-T ... 0673298678 <------ Please Like and share and support the community and make it grow strong

this is a sneak peak of what you can check out on the page.

<---DM-Morpheus REMAKE WIP UT4 Pre Alpha

<---DM HyperBlast test UT4 pre alpha

Please come have a look lots to see :)

thank you

code187
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Thanks for the PM code. Yes I will try this game but not while it looks or sounds anything like UT3. Sorry. There's a checklist I personally have and I don't want to ruin the game experience for myself. My checklist includes options like hiding the weapon, having a HUD where I can clearly see all weapons and numbers and ammo, and preferably moving them into their UT99 positions (ie PlayerDoll top right)

Then again I am the sort of person who doesn't like it when people spoil sports results, I've been known to buy albums and sit in a dark room with headphones listening from start to finish. Anyway, the latest video looked great. It was the triggers that sold it for me more-so than the UT3 style projectiles heh. A server browser and an amazing map both being added to friday's build, not bad
code187

Post by code187 »

at this stage the weapons are just placeholder art imported from UT3, as im sure you are aware, for the purpose if testing. so we have something to shoot while movement is perfected. so far the enforcer and flak and shock are the only in their final stages (models they look amazing nothing like ut3, like UE4 ut99 ones) when all the art is final then the placeholder art will be replaced.

ive posted the official enforcer and flak models on fb page also the concept art for the new shock still waiting on that model.

you know i hate other uts and only like 99, trust me you will LOVE IT!
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I hope those combos are not final, should push them for ring around the explosion instead of a suspended sphere that you may or may not see the flash of the primary gib from. Doesn't look like they widened the shock beam and slowed it to ut99s at all. The mortar fire looks alright on the flak, like U1/UT99, I can't say I've paid enough attention to whether the primary is at random or more like ut2004.

Yeah I know it's placeholder stuff and maybe I'm being a bit nit-picky over trying it out, I am giving it a chance though which is more than what a lot of people are doing. Love the open space areas on that map, first one I've seen with large open areas that I can almost imagine myself playing. I was seeing far too many maze maps with tight passageways. I know it's not meant to be competitive with all the triggers but hey I really don't know about some of those other maps.. Yes I am ruling out trying it out for a long time, if I posted the full checklist it would be like my criticism of NewNet and nobody wants to be reminded by 100 line lists. Good luck with what you're doing, I will get a UE4 license myself one day

Edit: oh you meant the model of the Flak and Shock is final (for now). Scratch my first paragraph, thought you meant something else
Dr.Flay
Godlike

Post by Dr.Flay »

rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

The the alpha is ready for downloading also on a bittorent website.
All things they have todo is to texture the unreal tournament 4 version.
This tournament version will be free for everyone, its is sometimes on a livecam website ,you can see there the new version of unreal tournament 4.
I will hope that this version will be online for downloading soon.
That depens on how far they are with the final build.

hxxp://xxx.alphabetagamer.com/unreal-tournament-4-pre-alpha-download/

torrent location:happy download. :rock:

hxxps://kickass.so/unreal-tournament-4-epic-games-eng-pre-alpha-t9452163.html

Edit---------------- by papercoffee
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

A pre-alpha is only useful if you have a developer kit of UE4.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Apparently there's two launchers, one is unofficial

official one updates automatically each week with the latest build. You need to log in to it with your forum account info

you only need engine license if you making mods/maps

Not sure what's in that torrent file, might be best to avoid it. If you really want to try it you want the official launcher and forum account. Couple mirrors here so you don't have to go thread hunting or trust dodgy torrents, won't get stuck with an older version either

http://unreal-tournament.ru/start/