THE 512kb MAPPING CONTEST

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Re: THE 512kb MAPPING CONTEST

Post by memsys »

Actually, the image is very nice, except it is 256 x 256 - and when i import this image into MyLevel it becomes somehow larger than the 29k filesaize it shows in windows explorer... in fact, if i export the image from the texture browser it becomes 64k. So this is causing my map to go to 523K. If i use just a 128 x 128 image
with a filesize of 11k then my map is 475k. Pretty weird, eh? So i reduced the 256x256 version to 128x128 and this works fine, except it looks like shit in unreal lol!
The reason for this is because unreal and UT store textures uncompressed where as PCX files ARE compressed.
Dunno what's going on here - the 256 x 256 version reduced on the surface to .5 (so it's 128x128) looks nice and clear. The externally reduced version 128x128 on the surface as 1.0 looks like crap... !? i really don't want to delete any more stuff out of the map ... can you help me?
because 256x256 at .5 scale is still a 256x256 texture only it's rendered smaller increasing the pixel density making it look super sharp. A 128x128 texture only has 25%of the pixels the 256x256 has so at scale 1 the image is physical the same size but the pixel density is MUCH lower.

If you only need to add the logo to finish the map and you are 11k over the limit perhaps you can squeeze a little harder by using more aggressive build settings and low detail shadows (you probably know this already) if you are still a few Kb over the limit you can use Hellkeepers brush cloning technique to cut off the last few kb but keep in mind that the savings using this trick is rather small (I resorted to using it in my map and I save about 170b per cloned brush in the brushless version of the map)

If you want me to take a poke at it feel free to ask!
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

memsys wrote:... If you want me to take a poke at it feel free to ask!
Thanks for the explanation and offer to help, but i'm not completely out of options just yet :) I find it amazing how much unreal tech stuff I've actually forgotten, lol! well i do actually have a lot of hanging moss and cobwebs in the map (probably 30 or so brushes) i can delete some of that which could make up the difference i need. i still need boost the brightness in some areas as per my beta-tester complaints of too dark!!! The map actually turned out to be a much better match than i originally expected, and the BOTs do a good job, but a human controlled team should always win, expecially if the human has xloc or hammer skills (i could only have limited jumpspots in the map due to the 512k constraint)...

Anyways, hopefully release tomorrow, then catch up on the other maps released since Courtyards...

Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

GAAAAAAAAAH ....I forgot the contest batch!!!
How could this happen?!
Oh my Cod ...hopefully I can still let the brushes intact. it's already 253kb and I just started to build the mover. :cry:
jay2
Average

Post by jay2 »

Re-releasing Ratchet with the following changes

- Jumpads made more distinguishable
- Texture alignment problems fixed
- Flag stands

I am also releasing my new map DM-512k-Atrium:
DM-512k-Atrium.zip
(310.57 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
CTF-512k-Ratchetv1.zip
(372.13 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Thanks.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I haven't posted the reviews for CTF-512k-Courtyard & CTF-512K-Templeness yet, which is good as it turns out, as I discovered something by accident the other day. I forgot I was in spectator mode when I brought them up.

As all maps for this contest are supposed to have bot-pathing, I hadn't tested them all, except DOM ones, with only bots. In doing so now, I've found that bots on CTF-512K-Templeness don't leave their own base... and for some reason bots entering the enemy base, after they grab the other team's flag on CTF-512k-Courtyard don't try to leave back for their base afterward.

Which is, in a word, weird.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
memsys
Adept

Post by memsys »

@Evil grins , I think you forgot to finish your review for DM-512k-Isotope42 in the screenshot thread
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

memsys wrote:@Evil grins , I think you forgot to finish your review for DM-512k-Isotope42 in the screenshot thread
No, it's done. Didn't have much to say.

Still kinda buggy on why there's a red arrow pointing upwards behind the flags, moreso as I noticed in the blue base it's red there too.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

EvilGrins wrote:I haven't posted the reviews for CTF-512k-Courtyard & CTF-512K-Templeness yet, which is good as it turns out, as I discovered something by accident the other day. I forgot I was in spectator mode when I brought them up.

As all maps for this contest are supposed to have bot-pathing, I hadn't tested them all, except DOM ones, with only bots. In doing so now, I've found that bots on CTF-512K-Templeness don't leave their own base... and for some reason bots entering the enemy base, after they grab the other team's flag on CTF-512k-Courtyard don't try to leave back for their base afterward.

Which is, in a word, weird.
i've already sorted him out on courtyards, EG :) If you want to quickly fix your version then (in UED) push each flagbase down into the ground so the spike is properly buried in solid at least 64uu and then rebuild pathes. The bots will work okay after that...
Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
TomcaT112
Novice

Post by TomcaT112 »

Hey guys!

I'm new to this forum as TomcaT112, but some of you may know me from UP as Tom_caT.

I was told about this dandy little contest by FraGnBraG and decided to throw my stick in one last time. A UT99 swan song so it were..

True to my previous work (which can be found on Unreal Playground) I stuck to small deathmatch, so I give you: Sonder.
Fast paced, open, deathmatch map. Hope you enjoy it, total of maybe 10-11hrs of decent work.
Attachments
DM-512K-Sonder.zip
(562.24 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Screenshot.jpg
The revolutionary designs of tomorrow, can start on a post-it note today.

Portfolio - http://www.nickburnsdesign.net
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0x9cF ... OaGvGTniAw
jay2
Average

Post by jay2 »

memsys
Adept

Post by memsys »

EvilGrins wrote:
memsys wrote:@Evil grins , I think you forgot to finish your review for DM-512k-Isotope42 in the screenshot thread
No, it's done. Didn't have much to say.

Still kinda buggy on why there's a red arrow pointing upwards behind the flags, moreso as I noticed in the blue base it's red there too.
Because that arrow is a jump pad and there is only a red arrow texture.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

memsys wrote:Because that arrow is a jump pad and there is only a red arrow texture.
That's an odd position for a jumppad:
Short of using a translocator there isn't any way to get up there to bounce at all.

Also, so long as you kept it under 512k, you could've edited a blue-ish texture for the blue side. Placed it under "MyLevel".
memsys
Adept

Post by memsys »

EvilGrins wrote:
memsys wrote:Because that arrow is a jump pad and there is only a red arrow texture.
That's an odd position for a jumppad:
Short of using a translocator there isn't any way to get up there to bounce at all.

Also, so long as you kept it under 512k, you could've edited a blue-ish texture for the blue side. Placed it under "MyLevel".
That was the problem I did not have the space for a custom texture and there IS a way to get to that jump pad! You have to dodge off the platforms on the side of the room.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

memsys wrote:there IS a way to get to that jump pad! You have to dodge off the platforms on the side of the room.
Oh. Well, that presents a new problem then.

Most jump pads that have arrows on them, the arrow indicates which way you bounce after you hit it. That arrow points straight up... to the not much higher ceiling.
memsys
Adept

Post by memsys »

yea, but making it point downward would be even weirder