DM-FeelNaPali (Release), Build: 1.0.536

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Re: DM-FeelNaPali (Release), Build: 1.0.536

Post by editor Dave »

Creavion wrote: Wrong lit surfaces: I tried for around 2 weeks, until I had enough and simply accepted it. The engine is not really suitable for outdoor maps, specially not if you try to light it that way.

Fake texture: No. Dont like such technique. My goal was to use only retail textures - ok skybox excluded.
Well, that's no problem. I had similar cases about wrongly lit surfaces in the past as well. And I also kept the least worst solution. Only a few weeks ago Mr. Tom told me about this technique (he uses it for badly lit meshes, though) and I find it ingenious, so I wanted to share it. Of course, it's your decision if you'll use it or not. But: Apart from the skybox textures - you used custom meshes and would care about one single texture: Contradiction much? :tongue:
Creavion wrote: Attachments: Well, 2 MB for each file. Not my fault. I screwed up the filefront upload somehow, so I uploaded here instead, since the map is rather small. Do you really need to get upset about something trivial like that? With a rather filesize I would not have do something like that.
Yeah, Vankuss has already explained it to me. And, of course, it's reasonable. I wouldn't have complained about it much, if I haven't downloaded the files, put them on a memory stick, driven to my flat, where I don't have internet, and wanted to play it there. So I had to download hjsplit on the next day and wait several days to review your map until I found time again. That was another factor why my text came so late.
Creavion wrote: BTW: people complain a lot. Some stuff also wont get downloaded because the filesize is too big. You remember Revelations release thread and the twist with Myth?
True. But downloading three diffeerent things for one map could keep people away, too. People do not only complain a lot, they are also lazy as hell. :lol2:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

I said!!! the default unreal trees are ugly shit (even the palm trees)! First post!
Some further comments: I modelled myself some new Unreal plants, since the old ones suck like hell .. mostly.
They still use stock textures (which still look decent IMO). I mean if you build a map based on stock textures you would not use "stock brushes" either (by copying existing brushes from other maps). At the end the engine only differs between BSP and meshes. Well ok this does not apply to game engines which can make use of static meshes but I think you know what I mean. For me meshes are also part of the "level geometry" (in terms of visuals).
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Raylen
Average
Personal rank: BunnyTracker

Post by Raylen »

Hi, I know this is a bit old now but I thought I would post for a couple of reasons - firstly, that I only got the map today because I had to download 3 different things and then create my own zip file or something, and I'm pretty lazy, so that was quite difficult. Secondly, the map is great. I regularly come to these forums to help me learn new things, and today I learnt about doing that Unlit texture thingy when you have a complicated thing that isn't quite lighting properly. Nextly, I know the root/branch thing has been mentioned where the pads are, but why is it growing out of a building?

But mostly, as someone else said, I look at a map like this and wonder if I could ever come close to making something that nice, good job :)
Thanks in advance for answering the above question!
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

I`ll refrain from roots from now on for sure ...

Check out the following picture and you might know why I did/tried that:
roots.jpg
Around 2 months ago I started my current map project, which might be the very last one at all. However the thing will be very big in filesize. It will be very fun to find a way to upload it somewhere at all.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

Creavion wrote:-_______- no leave me alone with that kind of problems. This starts to get annnoying!
What is annoying is the fact you get annoyed. Creavion: no-one is forced to be tech-savvy and last time I checked, hjsplit wasn't in widespread use among gamers. In fact, it's being used less and less -- because what for? There's plenty of archiving programs that let you make an archive split to parts and then extract it w/o joining the parts. Due to that trend, hjsplit is pretty obscure nowadays.

That being said, here's a mirror for you:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73582626/DM-FeelNaPali.zip

It'll remain online unless I personally remove the file from my Dropbox and that won't happen. Enjoy!
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

There is actually another mirror (stupid for not posting it here).
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/blog/jungle-maps
https://files.myopera.com/dr-flay/unrea ... lNaPali.7z (2.7MB)
Hmm, another page that needs filling out. Gotta organise my jungle maps.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

looks very nice indeed.. ^thanks for the bump i would like to install this map onto our servers..
just looking at the screen shots.. myself.I would like to also see some more of your works... do you have a mappack .

wondering what kinda capacity this host has and if Shade could be convinced to up the limit in php.ini.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

There are several Creavion maps in the previous UT99 map-pack http://www.ut99.org/utr/index.html
I put a few links in the CTF-FacePalm post as well, so check there.
...Ah that's where I posted the link for this map!
Somebody slap me.