Screenshots

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Re: Screenshots

Post by editor Dave »

Wow, I admire your work for your painstaking details :shock:
This is really impressive :)
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

No rounded corners for the phone? Well.. at least you will not end up in trouble with Apple. :ironic: (Samsung VS Apple Reference for those who did not get it)
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Post by >@tack!< »

Steve Jobs would be proud of you
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

No more Jobs for Steve ...
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

editor Dave wrote:Wow, I admire your work for your painstaking details :shock:
This is really impressive :)
Kudos, KingJosh...I agree!!
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

progress on my noobmap
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Post by >@tack!< »

looking good
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

KingJosh wrote:Images of some the items in the stores.WIP DM-SpaceMall... ...all are meshes.
Mini-tutorial on object scale in UT...

Place an Introdude right beside these "items" and take some screenshots of that. Do not change the scale value of the Introdude and make sure his feet are properly aligned on the floor. I am curious about the scale of the guitars and the shoes vs a player/bot. Introdude is used for that purpose. If you have made the items into meshes (using meshmaker etc) then this is good since then you can scale the meshes so they look "correct" next to a player. Obviously, things like phones and shoes are going to be a problem in UE1, since they will be very very small next to a player/bot. And of course a guitar or a shoe that is the same size as a player/bot is going to appear very oversized (and thus silly) in game.

Do you remember all the cars in city DOM map? They were very oversized compared to players. If you had made the cars 20%-40% smaller (depending on the vehicle of course) they would have had more realistic size. When playing that map I went up to the cars and it seemed like my player must be as tall as a 3-year old, LOL! So if you had placed an introdude beside each of the cars when you made them, then you would have known the correct size of the car when next to the Introdude "man".

Anyways, introdude is very useful for doing a reality check on decos and sometimes doorways and other passageways. Remember in UT that things like doors and hallways etc SHOULD be a bit wider or higher than what looks like "reality" because of the players/bots collision radius. If doors and hallways are too small, then that sucks because you can't fight or travel through them easily. DM-InnerCity by AngelHEart is a good example of a nice realistic urban theme that has horrible ut gameplay (yeah, I know exactly why that is - I'm just pointing to a real example of cramped doors and passageways). Well, so when you make "deco stuff" in your maps, stick inan introdude - then at least you know whether the object will look proper etc. Then whenever you're done with the bsp or meshwork in the map, you just delete all the introdudes.

Cheers

ps - I think there is something wrong with your PMs - check you settings...
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

thanks for the tip fnb. i did what you said alot of the items i have arent scaled as accurate as i thought they were initially. i added introdude it appears the guitar is a little bit taller than him :o the scale is a bit embarrassing, but its good that this is now known before releasing it :mrgreen: . I added him inside a CD music store and the Megadeth CD i tried to put in his hand , is basically the size of his arm. so i have alot of scaling work ill have to do.
laughable original scaling, lots of work needed.
laughable original scaling, lots of work needed.
edit- reason cds on the shelf are different size is cause i was playin around with scaling for a sec
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

ha ha (jk) rather huge guitars man - that's a really big shoo too, lol! Anyways, strange stuff, eh? UT99 is kinda bad this way (scaling rendering etc) for a map to have good fighting qualities things have to be fairly open and things like doors almost always have to be big and wide (like in a castle, for instance). If you had an apartment, a castle-sized door would look quite funny. I think thats why the "mini-me" type of map is pretty much the way to go for "reality" (like litchens, bathrooms, bedrooms and houses, etc) then you can make the objects etc to scale with each other (but of course the players are the size of mice, lol). Anyways, things that seem normal-size when you look at them in the editor are often too big, so the introdude is a good way of checking...

btw imo Megadeth's the shit man :tu: all the Big4 (well, maybe not AnthraX :wtf: )

Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

LOL I use often for scaling the Rocket-launcher as guide for proportions.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

@Isotoxin: Man, please, what do you exactly use to save your pngs? You posted 2.5Mb images again.
They look very nice, but please, use GIMP or something else to save those pngs, those images can have exactly the same quality with 5x smaller filesize, 2.5Mb per image with that resolution is overkill.
Isotoxin
Adept

Post by Isotoxin »

Feralidragon wrote:@Isotoxin: Man, please, what do you exactly use to save your pngs? You posted 2.5Mb images again.
They look very nice, but please, use GIMP or something else to save those pngs, those images can have exactly the same quality with 5x smaller filesize, 2.5Mb per image with that resolution is overkill.
I make a SS in ut, (f9), then I open it in photoshop to bright it up and save it as jpg..
GenMoKai
Godlike

Post by GenMoKai »

Isotoxin wrote:I make a SS in ut, (f9), then I open it in photoshop to bright it up and save it as jpg..
Maybe after brighten it up, safe it with an other program? Maybe that helps
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

As jpg? Your screens aren't jpg, they're png.

Anyway, as you use photoshop, do the following:
- Once openned in photoshop, press at the same time: Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S
- That will open a window to export your file to a common format, where you have lots of parameters;
- Choose png
- Save it
- Replace those screens in your post by the new ones

Btw, don't take this as "people can't bare big filesized screens just because", by doing this your chances of your screens to actually being seen rise a lot, so basically by making the filesize smaller, more people will actually see them as they're going to load faster in any connection.