New map CTF Orbiting World's ALPHA test

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Eviltom
Skilled

Re: New map CTF Orbiting World's ALPHA test

Post by Eviltom »

Dr.Flay wrote:Please refrain from double-posting without good reason Eviltom.
You can see our position on this if you read the house rules (in my sig).

We discourage double posts within a 24 hour period. We allow users to edit all previous posts, and encourage you to carry on from where you left off, by adding an edit marker or not (I usually add *****EDIT****).

We allow some multi-posting if it helps to break a release thread into more useful chunks.
eg. within this thread started by you, I combined your answers to other people, but left your update post alone.
It make the thread clearer to find content from conversation, especially when using the site search.
So your saying I shouldn't post again in the same topic until someone else has replied? But i should edit my previous post? I think i posted twice as i was replying to and quoting two different posts.... im using this forum on my phone (which is proving very difficult! Especially when quoting, im not even going to try and quote multiple times in the same post, my phone may explode!) Apologies if I broke the rules it was not intensional.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Eviltom wrote: So your saying I shouldn't post again in the same topic until someone else has replied?
Within 24 hours.
I used a mobile device as well for posting on the forum an iPod touch ...as you can see very old, but it's possible.

@ Dr.Flay
Ask Shade if he can add a new function like in the Epic forum... where you can quote multiple persons at once just by clicking an icon. can be useful.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

I'm posting on a Samsung S3 mini... anything over 2 sentences and it becomes very slow and sort of 'lags' and then combine that with this phones terrible auto correct spelling! Nightmare.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Eviltom wrote:I'm posting on a Samsung S3 mini... anything over 2 sentences and it becomes very slow and sort of 'lags' and then combine that with this phones terrible auto correct spelling! Nightmare.
Haha auto correct is evil. You can't disable it?
The beloved inventor of "auto correct" died ... Restaurant in peace.
Ok I'm derailing this thread too much. I'll test your map the next days.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Took a look at your map tonight, though I forgot to turn off the Quake weaponspack first... but other than that I got a good sense of it. It's a good map with a good flow, plenty of action from all fronts and I didn't notice your "bots only go directly" thang so much but that may've been I was too busy running and dodging:

Circular theme of the map works well, I kinda did it like a race track / obstacle course. Run to enemy base, grab flag, run as fast as possible, ducking & weaving, score!

Which isn't to say the map doesn't have a couple issues.

As you can see with the upper left corner of this...
...there's some memory HOMs (think that's what they're called) here and there around the map, usually when approaching something with a lot of sky behind it when facing at an upward angle.

This next one's a doozy:

Apparently if you've enough health and armor, if you fall over the edge of the structure you can survive the fall and not die. This can be problematic for the player, because he's gotta suicide to get outta all the open space, or just float around forever. Was an even bigger problem later when it happened to the bot who had my team's flag...

...as there was no way to get to him after he fell into space and there's really no good way to find him once he's out there on a rotating background/skybox.

That's about it, extra screenshots · viewtopic.php?p=89482#p89482
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Thanks for the test. I need to iron out the visual errors (most are probably a result of how I have made the terrain. And I hadn't noticed I'd deleted the kill zone at the bottom of the map thanks! Better put that back! The bots behave a lot better on the newer version. Already have more map ideas. Might work on a small map pack 4 or 5 maps. Over the next month or 2
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Tried the map as well just recently... apart from the HOMs and bugs EG mentioned, the only other nitpick I'd have would be the lens flare placement. It kinda looks weird when the flares are in the middle of the flame and not at the bottom... also near the red teams red platform one of the lens flares was a bit out of place... I was gonna mention the terrain textruing, but seems you're already working on that :P

Other than that, pretty cool map. Really enjoyed it :rock: