How to connect to other players

Discussions about Servers
omarlobo
Novice
Personal rank: n00b pwner

How to connect to other players

Post by omarlobo »

Hey guys, I have a question that has been bothering me.

I want to connect with a few friends to play (2 at most) but is there any way to make them connect to me specifically instead of the three of us finding a server to join to?

I ask this because most of the time one finds a server but the other two don't or viceversa, also the fact that we have to download stuff makes it very slow.

So could anyone point me if there´s a way and if there is could you give me clear instructions on how to?

Thanks in advance. :help:
-Feint-
Skilled
Personal rank: Amateur Mapper

Re: How to connect to other players

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:Use the Connect option.

You'll both have to do some digging though.

Your friend needs to find his computer IP address, and his router address. Then you try the Computer IP in the Open Location option of multiplayer. Press connect and if there aren't any problems youre connected.

If your friend has a router then you need the router IP instead.
DanomanUK@i4games-Forum wrote:Nah, people bitch one way or another.
You cant win as a mapper ;)
[JAG]Teabag
Skilled
Personal rank: Clan Server Admin

Post by [JAG]Teabag »

if your are behind a router then you will need to allow them access, if i recall you need to do this by port forwarding of UnrealTournament from your machines ip. been along time since i have done this..
unless you know what your doing with the router its tricky to do things and make it work without making it stressfull. also any firewall will need to allow access.
basically what happens is the router says UnrealTournament is allowed incoming connections to your machine when you give your friend your external ip to add into the open location box.
your external ip is usually found athttp://www.findmyip.com/
and if your behind a router, you need to find out your computers ip connection to your router. goto the "start" button on ur desktop then "All programs" "accessories" "comand prompt" type in "ipconfig /all" without the ""
(theres a space between the ipconfig and the /all) usually some thing like 192.168.0.?
?= a number depending what position your plugged into.
You would also need to add everything you wish to use in your "serverpackages="
in the unrealtournament.ini (found in your system folder of unreal tournament directory)
this includes custom skins, weapons, mutators or they will not see any of them.
(you will they wont)
Anything you add to the server packages list, if they dont already have it, means they will need to download from you. as you wouldnt have a "redirect" this would usually be very slow,
alot slower than a server, chances are if you are connecting to a server with a very slow connection for downloading files, You have either skipped a redirected file so re connect, it may fly in. or they are a home provided server such as what you are going to try.

Btw set an Game password or anyone could connect to your machine, add a mapvote too it makes life easier ;)

btw welcome to the stress of being a server admin :)
its easier to just find a fast download server you like the look of, send the ip to your mates in msn or other kinda chat system, use the open location box, theres no trouble looking in the list for it then. (think thats what you mean by one of you can never find the server)

sorry if you know all of the above, but others may not... if they are attempting to do the same thing.

good luck.

Edit just found a similar thing on this site here. http://www.ut99.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1032
..Image
omarlobo
Novice

Post by omarlobo »

Wow guys, thanks a lot that will help me a bunch, and I didn´t knew i could just put a server IP and connect to it, that will help me loads.

Thanks a lot :rock:
[JAG]Teabag
Skilled
Personal rank: Clan Server Admin

Post by [JAG]Teabag »

thanks for replying, its nice to know that help is appreciated :tu:
..Image
omarlobo
Novice

Post by omarlobo »

Well I thought that´s the least I should do considering you took the time to make a long post.
I still can´t manage to host my game so my friends join mine, I gave them my IP and it didn´t work, but at least now that we know there´s a connect option we can connect to a server we like
[UT]Sonny
Novice

Post by [UT]Sonny »

omarlobo wrote:Well I thought that´s the least I should do considering you took the time to make a long post.
I still can´t manage to host my game so my friends join mine, I gave them my IP and it didn´t work, but at least now that we know there´s a connect option we can connect to a server we like

omarlobo wrote:Well I thought that´s the least I should do considering you took the time to make a long post.

Your so Rright its sad that a lot of the other guys and the Admin here dont
reply to a post .........even just to say thanks.....................[JAG]Teabag is a good guy and has posted some Great Stuff here ...which will Help you all a lot......... :gj: Charles
Just in case none of you know click this when you come into the forum and your see all the new posts

[UT]Sonny..........
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Post by Shade »

[UT]Sonny, im sorry that you don't see that much posts from me or the staff team atm. At first, i am "just" the administrator of UT99.org. That means i don't have to post as great replys as Teabag. Maybe i could sometimes...but tbh, i think he know much more about UT than me. :P I founded UT99.org, i administrate it, i do my best to make it better...but the community is primary consist on its users. Anyway, why i'm not so active in the forums and dont write large posts? -> Because im working at the new UT99.org Website (which will contained more features and a better design). It takes much time to finish the work. its not easy.... in addition, we are currently making a new Community Map Pack, so the Staff Team is still very active, but the focus is currently more on the mappack forums where the team do his best to make a good mappack.

I hope you understand the situation and accept my answer. :wink:
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
[UT]Sonny
Novice

Post by [UT]Sonny »

Shade wrote:[UT]Sonny, im sorry that you don't see that much posts from me or the staff team atm. At first, i am "just" the administrator of UT99.org. That means i don't have to post as great replys as Teabag. Maybe i could sometimes...but tbh, i think he know much more about UT than me. :P I founded UT99.org, i administrate it, i do my best to make it better...but the community is primary consist on its users. Anyway, why i'm not so active in the forums and dont write large posts? -> Because im working at the new UT99.org Website (which will contained more features and a better design). It takes much time to finish the work. its not easy.... in addition, we are currently making a new Community Map Pack, so the Staff Team is still very active, but the focus is currently more on the mappack forums where the team do his best to make a good mappack.

I hope you understand the situation and accept my answer. :wink:

Hi Shade ..Man we all thought you were dead Mate ....hahahhahahh
Big thanks for the reply..now we know what your up to
good luck in your work here and be sure to pay us a visit >>> http://www.unrealteam.de/forum/index.ph ... c75c85d5cc
when you get a team up ...... we would love to kick your ass in a Match..... :tu:

[UT]Sonny.............
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
bombenpaule
Experienced
Personal rank: UT fanatic

Post by bombenpaule »

simply meet in a IRC chat, maybe the community-chat:

irc.utchat.com
#ut99

If double-click on Your friend, U can see, on which server he is playing. U can directly follow!!!

We meet us in chat, than one of us is searching for a server, others follow....

Chat is very easy to use in UT.... just type in server-adress irc.utchat.comin upper field, in second field type in the channel #ut99.

Try it, its the easiest and best way to play on same server!!!!
connect community IRC-Channel here: http://www.tribute2ut.de.vu

Sorry 4 my bad english! I´m a german UT99 fanatic!

....--Never eat the yellow snow!--....