Botpathing request thread

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Botpathing request thread

Post by Barbie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:34 am

EvilGrins wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:12 am
...think it's a cool map but I've never gotten very far on it, so I don't know where things go.
I remember having played it with Unreal 1, where you get Translator hints what to do. Example:
TranslatorEvent8 wrote:Skaarj Valley Emergency Escape Gate Switch - Depressing button will open the gate to the emergency escape passage leading out of Skaarj Valley, which is located near the top of the adjacent cliffs.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett

sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:05 am

I did not install any path-finder toy in public servers but I did in my private one. What was/is the deal ?
You might not know at a moment where Bots are crawling and which objectives have been completed even in some known maps (Derdak here). But if map has paths, you can query mutator for a path-finding task according to MH objectives (original MH and XCMH) and you can see where to go according to WayPoints visited. This is a MAJOR advantage in such a case, having maps with PATHS and OBJECTIVES, we don't pay for adding paths and neither MonsterWayPoints. Without such a helper you might roam map for good minutes until to figure what's next objective.
Cons:
- Huge maps aren't for a Default server with plain DevPath and...
- Engine might crash toward Navigation used ON-Line/OFF-Line in maps with WARP-ZONES - you need a fixed Engine - no worries, Epic won't help you.
Said reasons are enough for not messing with MHBotyman mutators (Path-finders) in plain default servers except local testing environment.
Tools like that are helping me even in DM games when you play a DM 1on1 in a big map - you can search Bot/Enemy using paths as Bot is doing when it's full loaded and has nothing to collect - it's a default Bot rule in DM 1on1. If map is bigger you are wasting time looking for enemy, paths finder feature embedded in my custom DM is very helpful in this case and then I have the same feature as Bot is having, because Bot can find you but you don't and for me this is a sort of cheating. If moron can track me, I'm willing to do that too and we can meet each-other quickly even if map is not a 1on1 type. But I repeat, Map has to be in a decent size, without crapped warps, or Engine has to be changed.

Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:41 am

sektor2111 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:05 am
- Engine might crash toward Navigation used ON-Line/OFF-Line in maps with WARP-ZONES - you need a fixed Engine - no worries, Epic won't help you.
Clarify, what exactly happens with warp zones?
ImageImage
Image unreal://23.111.157.138:7777
Image unreal://46.228.199.205:7788

sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:34 pm

SpecialHandling for Playerpawn seeker. It does a nasty loop similar with TranslocStart. Happens when next path is a WarpZoneMarker. Yes, function can be replaced... and once again XCGE wins...
If I recall well I dropped two lines in there. If Other is a playerpawn return Self or such - perhaps in a future update I'll drop a message about warping. Crashes have gone... I figured this bug in LongCorridor whatever version with MH objectives added properly and map being functional but in Warps cases, game was crashing.

My thought, I believe they failed code when this marker is part of destination, without way-back, or a sanity check was wrong written/missing. They have some remarks around demonstrating that there weren't really know what to do.

Edit: Plonk - Warp-Zones can be disabled by triggering - paths should be removed through these in such case or we must allow pawn to run in walls ?