L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby Virgile » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:02 am

You'll find all the maps I have created since I was a teenager, some have been "remastered" following my progress with unrealEd.
In any case, most of them had never been shared before.

:PlayerStart: DOM-Destroyer-PR
(I know, the map name sucks, I was young.)
I created it in 2001 and remastered in 2018.
At the time, I did not know "Monster Hunt" but I already liked the idea of having monsters populating the maps.
I left the monsters, not to distort the map too much.

Image Image
Download (mediafire)

:PlayerStart: DM-Unpomade
(Yay. "pomade" even if it's giant "lipsticks".)
It's a joke map I imagined in 1999, created in 2005 with UT2004, and finally ported on this good old UT99 last year.
Unfortunatly, It has never been really finalised... As you can see on the 3rd screen, health is provided by the tower itself from machines. After all, these are the towers of cosmetics and ointments...
You can rework this map if you feel like it, it would even please me if someone gets to do something interesting.
Ingame illustrations are drawings I made in 2016.

Image Image Image
Download (mediafire)

Maybe more old stuff to come!

:PlayerStart: DM-HydropyramNG
Hydropyram ("Next Gen") is a special case.
The idea is originally from my best friend Michäel. He created a giant map in 2000 that has since unfortunately been lost forever, but of which there are still some screenshots. In 2001, I created my own version, which does not exist either (not even a screen) ... Then, my best friend created a Hydropyram3 but was too small. Finally, last year, with this friend we'd try to make a new Hydropyram, about as big as the original, and put it a lot of private jokes ... I was engaged to create the bottom of the pyramid, and he was on the upper part (with a stragate to access). There is a secret passage leading to the Redeemer and a statuette with my face, as a tribute to Exhumed. You can also see on the screens, a tribute to Sonic with some textures extracted from it.
My friend abandoned the idea of continuing the map. Normally, we had to find another redeemer at the top of the pyramid, which opens with a special elevator ... the map is not perfectly playable, judicially place weapons or players starts is not my forte. Here too, I would have liked to see this map becoming something more interesting.
Finally, neither he nor I remember how we found the music used, which was already the one we used in the DM-Hydropyram of the early 2000s.
The screens show you parts of the level I worked on. (feat. NW3, sorry about that. XD)

Image Image Image
Image Image
Download (mediafire)

Thank you for your attention, and sorry for my rough english.
Image
User avatar
Virgile
Novice
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:32 am
Location: Divodurum Mediomatricorum

Re: L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby darksonny » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:41 pm

thank you for keeping alive ut99
darksonny
Skilled
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 pm

Re: L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby makemeunreal » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:31 pm

Thank you for your work. :thuup: :thuup: :thuup: :thuup: :thuup: :thuup: :thuup:
UNREAL
User avatar
makemeunreal
Adept
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:34 pm
Personal rank: UNREAL

Re: L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby Hook » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:58 pm

makemeunreal wrote:Thank you for your work. :thuup: :thuup: :thuup: :thuup: :thuup: :thuup: :thuup:

Yes! :gj:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
Forums - http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
UT99 Game Server -> CROSSBONES Lucifurs Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
User avatar
Hook
Masterful
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Minnesota USA
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Re: L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby ItsYaBoiLoque » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:09 pm

Bonjour Monsieur, Le Baguette Hon Hon to you.
I played DOM-Destroyer and being honest it is not a very good map, from the very start you suffer from a lack of PlayerStarts which translated into early telefrags, never been a fan of that, then the bots stay all at the same Control Point, they do look for the others but barely, once you kill all monsters then there's not much going on for it. The birds you placed are also not modified for your map as they keep crashing againts the walls.
Now DM-HydroPyram is where you shine the most, it is a cool map, I liked the concept from the very beginning, the Stargate like portals are nice and give the egyptian map an alien like feel which goes pretty well with UT, you also have one side of the pyramid bathed in blue light and it looks pretty sweet. Another thing I liked a lot is the placement of the Health Packs on the U Damage lookout, that was neat, and also the SkyBox looks good. However it is not a perfected map, this one also lacks PlayerStarts which is a shame since it is a pretty large map and you even recommend 16 players in the map selection menu when you get all telefragged with just 8 in the map, then it feels rather empty, as I said, it is a huge map but there's not much into it, most of the time the bots stick to the same areas and leave most of the map empty. You got two large gems in the map and both can be walked through, maybe that's what you wanted but it doesn't make much sense to me. There's also two textures in the U Damage room that look more Aztec / Mayan than egyptian so that breaks the feel of the map a little, a little texture on the way to the U Damage which seems to be Dr. Robotnik / Eggman does the same. Going up there's a ramp that goes straight into a wall, you can jump over to the side to keep going up but that just doesn't look good, then around this area you made an elevator that activates with a button, it works well, but if you fall from the elevator for whatever reason, you get stuck in a pit with no way out, either add a teleporter or make it a death zone, otherwise players have to kill themselves, the same happens outside when you fall from one of the pyramid sides into a water pool, you survive the fall easily but you can't get out of the pool which missed a WaterZone, it looks like water from the outside but there's nothing inside. Lastly I felt the music didn't really fit with the map but that's just subjective. Don't be discouraged, all this can be fixed easily, like I said, I do like the map, it's pretty cool and I would love to see a remastered version.
User avatar
ItsYaBoiLoque
Novice
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 7:37 pm
Personal rank: PhD in Fraggin' Ya!

Re: L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby OjitroC » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:16 pm

ItsYaBoiLoque wrote:... this one also lacks PlayerStarts which is a shame since it is a pretty large map and you even recommend 16 players in the map selection menu when you get all telefragged with just 8 in the map ...
I agree that more Player Starts are needed in the map but just a reminder that you can use Sektor2111's mutator LessTele3 - this will add 'PlayerStart types' to a map. In this map it added an additional 12 Player Starts. I use it a lot to avoid telefragging at the start.
User avatar
OjitroC
Inhuman
 
Posts: 943
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby Hellkeeper » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:19 pm

ItsYaBoiLoque wrote:Bonjour Monsieur, Le Baguette Hon Hon to you.

It's "La baguette", for the love of Zeus. La baguette and omelette AU fromage.

Hello Virgile, and welcome. Your maps seem to be the kind of funny experiments we all did when we were young, those were the days.
The last one looks pretty interesting, I'm not able to test it right now but if I remember, I'll give it a shot
You must construct additional pylons.
User avatar
Hellkeeper
Masterful
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:32 pm
Location: France
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby Virgile » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:33 pm

Thanks for your answers.

ItsYaBoiLoque wrote:I played DOM-Destroyer and being honest it is not a very good map, from the very start you suffer from a lack of PlayerStarts which translated into early telefrags, never been a fan of that, then the bots stay all at the same Control Point, they do look for the others but barely, once you kill all monsters then there's not much going on for it. The birds you placed are also not modified for your map as they keep crashing againts the walls.

This is a very old map, I did not want to distort what I realized child, I simply improved the visual rendering.
It's true that it takes more playerstarts, but I can confirm that I already have seen the bots take all the control points, I even managed to lose the game against bots.

ItsYaBoiLoque wrote:Now DM-HydroPyram is where you shine the most, it is a cool map, I liked the concept from the very beginning, the Stargate like portals are nice and give the egyptian map an alien like feel which goes pretty well with UT, you also have one side of the pyramid bathed in blue light and it looks pretty sweet. Another thing I liked a lot is the placement of the Health Packs on the U Damage lookout, that was neat, and also the SkyBox looks good. However it is not a perfected map, this one also lacks PlayerStarts which is a shame since it is a pretty large map and you even recommend 16 players in the map selection menu when you get all telefragged with just 8 in the map, then it feels rather empty, as I said, it is a huge map but there's not much into it, most of the time the bots stick to the same areas and leave most of the map empty. You got two large gems in the map and both can be walked through, maybe that's what you wanted but it doesn't make much sense to me. There's also two textures in the U Damage room that look more Aztec / Mayan than egyptian so that breaks the feel of the map a little, a little texture on the way to the U Damage which seems to be Dr. Robotnik / Eggman does the same. Going up there's a ramp that goes straight into a wall, you can jump over to the side to keep going up but that just doesn't look good, then around this area you made an elevator that activates with a button, it works well, but if you fall from the elevator for whatever reason, you get stuck in a pit with no way out, either add a teleporter or make it a death zone, otherwise players have to kill themselves, the same happens outside when you fall from one of the pyramid sides into a water pool, you survive the fall easily but you can't get out of the pool which missed a WaterZone, it looks like water from the outside but there's nothing inside. Lastly I felt the music didn't really fit with the map but that's just subjective. Don't be discouraged, all this can be fixed easily, like I said, I do like the map, it's pretty cool and I would love to see a remastered version.

As I said, yes it was never completed. The map has been almost abandoned, but if someone wants to remodel it in its own way, I have no problem with that, for my part I'm not very good for the "gameplay" aspect, to place playerstats and weapons in the right places... :/
For the "aztec" look of the room with the U Damage, this is due to the tribute to Sonic (2 textures from the temple in sonic adventure), but it's true that it goes against the rest of the map. The basic idea being to do something fun with this map!
Image
User avatar
Virgile
Novice
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:32 am
Location: Divodurum Mediomatricorum

Re: L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby sektor2111 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:41 am

Virgile, if I take in account the time when these have been done, I can only clap hands saying: Congratulations !
There are people with more time spent in Editor doing really screwed up stuff, even incompatible with Bots offering advantage to player only - for me that way means legit cheating not mapping.
Yeah, that DM-HydroPyram is a bit poor in paths and I mean there are routes having no navigation from any kind not those areas mainly covered correctly nearby items which is not that bad, I even recommend such paths.
If we want more action, nowadays we do have technology for deploying extra actors/paths in run-time with advantage of doing them even more dynamic - not in the same way for all matches in all days, so to speak I don't think it do needs any editing/modifications - original work even it has missing points, can be completed at will, so these originals have their advantages at a moment, they do support a bit of future run-time modding.
User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
 
Posts: 3634
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: vect(1,1,1)

Re: L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby Virgile » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:13 am

I decided to put my very first map with UnrealEd.
:PlayerStart: DM-Virgile (v3)
This map is, well, quite strange. You have to do "gymnastics" to get the redeemer.
Just like my other maps, last year I modified it a little bit to make it less ugly (the weapons are on slabs like those I designed for Hydropyram, and other minor things).
Image Image
Download (mediafire)

I also changed the link of DOM-Destroyer, I realized that it was not the most recent version (it does not change much, but I prefer).
Image
User avatar
Virgile
Novice
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:32 am
Location: Divodurum Mediomatricorum

Re: L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby EvilGrins » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:32 am

If you ever make any CTF maps, let me recommend UTDMT · https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/98908.html

They're better than standard monsters for team games.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
 
Posts: 6031
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby Virgile » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:17 am

UTDMT is a lot of fun, I'll think about it.

Now, here is a brand new map I made between yesterday afternoon and this morning.

:PlayerStart: DM-Oketra
Made for 2-4 players, it's a small rocket arena.
Image Image Image
Download (mediafire)
Image
User avatar
Virgile
Novice
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:32 am
Location: Divodurum Mediomatricorum

Re: L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby papercoffee » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:11 pm

Now, this looks interesting. How went bot-pathing?
User avatar
papercoffee
Site Staff
 
Posts: 8925
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby Virgile » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:16 pm

papercoffee wrote:Now, this looks interesting. How went bot-pathing?

It went well, as the map is small. X)
Image
User avatar
Virgile
Novice
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:32 am
Location: Divodurum Mediomatricorum

Re: L'atelier (Virgile's workshop), all my UT99 maps

Postby sektor2111 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:03 pm

DM-Oketra will be added into Monster Gaming Server. I dare to add it without doing any preliminary test, I can figure how do works by only checking it in Editor for 2 minutes. This do looks as a good map.
User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
 
Posts: 3634
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: vect(1,1,1)

Next

Return to Mapping

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests