UT99: check weapon configuration from client?

Discussions about UT99
Andyyyyyyyyy
Novice

UT99: check weapon configuration from client?

Post by Andyyyyyyyyy »

Hi all.
I have a question. I occasionally play on a server where I suspect that shock rifle damage/combo diameter was tweaked server side (to make it stronger and with larger diameter). Is there any way to check my suspicions (and other weapon configs) from client side with some logs/debug commands? I can connect to server any time/record demo, but I'm not admin
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: UT99: check weapon configuration from client?

Post by esnesi »

I guess your best way is, to convert the cache you download from the server.
And import those files into the editor, to see which values got modified to compare it to the original.
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

Or you could ask the admin of the server for the information.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

Andyyyyyyyyy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:18 am Hi all.
I have a question. I occasionally play on a server where I suspect that shock rifle damage/combo diameter was tweaked server side (to make it stronger and with larger diameter). Is there any way to check my suspicions (and other weapon configs) from client side with some logs/debug commands? I can connect to server any time/record demo, but I'm not admin
I noticed this on our newnet combogib server. The shock combo hits and kills outside the actual shock combo radius.. very weird.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
Andyyyyyyyyy
Novice

Post by Andyyyyyyyyy »

esnesi wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:47 pm I guess your best way is, to convert the cache you download from the server.
And import those files into the editor, to see which values got modified to compare it to the original.
Thanks, that Sounds doable. Could you advice where to look for proper file? I have no idea where to start
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Andyyyyyyyyy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:23 am
esnesi wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:47 pm I guess your best way is, to convert the cache you download from the server.
Thanks, that Sounds doable. Could you advice where to look for proper file? I have no idea where to start
Same unfortunatly.
But probably some do here.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Andyyyyyyyyy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:23 am Thanks, that Sounds doable. Could you advice where to look for proper file? I have no idea where to start
Do you mean how to find files in the cache?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Andyyyyyyyyy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:23 amCould you advice where to look for proper file? I have no idea where to start
If the weapon is modified by a server-side-only Mutator, it is impossible for clients to gain the code.
If the code is also available for clients, I'd do the following:
  1. Rename your UT cache directory temporarily.
  2. Start UT and connect to the server where you noticed the changed weapon. UT will create a new cache directory and stores all files there the server sends to you.
  3. Verify that the weapon behaves as you noticed earlier.
  4. Stop UT.
  5. Identify all files in the cache with extension "u" by inspecting the file "Cache.ini" in the cache directory.
  6. Open these files with a text editor and look for corresponding code, for example by searching for the weapon name.
Ofc this will only make sense if you are familiar with UScript code.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Andyyyyyyyyy
Novice

Post by Andyyyyyyyyy »

Is there a way to decompile the .u files?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Andyyyyyyyyy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:34 am Is there a way to decompile the .u files?
You can use UTPT.exe (Unreal Tournament Package Tool) - this has a number of functions besides viewing the content of, and decompiling, .u files and so it's a very useful tool. You should be able to download it at the usual UT repositories (&file=utpt20beta5.zip). There are others like WOTgreal as well.