Question about spawn(killing)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Question about spawn(killing)

Post by Terraniux »

Being back in the editor! Feels good to be home (UED) again! :ironic:

Being busy and all that, got me this popping in the head, as this is a general issue of many players....

Question:
Can the mapper make the map spawnkilling proof or is this server-sided? For example - 5 seconds?
Edit: Regardless of gametype!

Regards :tu:
This member can only post when permitted.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Question about spawn(killing)

Post by EvilGrins »

Short of building secure areas to spawn in, I think the only way to do so isn't a mapping thing so much as a mutator thing.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Map already on server-side. You can embed anything mutator on it. So yes, you can do this with custom code.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

If it is a Monsterhunt map you can easily prevent players being hacked by monsters: Add a separate player spawn root that can only be left by teleporters. Or let them spawn in a room not reachable by monsters.
Protecting players after spawn is a server job, not a task for a map!
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

There is something someplace, some actor or ini that says "noTelefrag" I been trying to remember or find what it was for a while now.
Or it says "allowtelefrag" is true or false.
Binary Space Partitioning
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

WarpZoneInfo.bNoTelefrag

Another solution - make one side Warpzones portal. You can tele to battle area, but can not tele back.
Also you can see what happens on other side, before enter.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

What about ZoneInfo.bNeutralZone?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

It can work:
https://github.com/Slipyx/UT99/search?q ... eutralZone

But if GameType redfine
function int ReduceDamage(int Damage, name DamageType, pawn injured, pawn instigatedBy)
then this is not work.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Well you can technically still make a map have it's own spawn protection but I'm thinking if other server admin use their own it might interfere with the code and possibly crash.

I had not tried such thing, but some good idea does pop up in here by other. I like how EG pointed out one, then the tele part by Barbie which is known in many other maps.

There is one idea I have in mind is that when you spawn, you are invisible (Using Invisi botpack) for like 5 seconds then it wears off. lol
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Chamberly wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:33 pmit might interfere with the code and possibly crash.
It is just Reduce damage things. Need be very "creative" for make crash on that.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Thanks for the answers so far! Good talk. Nice ideas.

Maybe I should have written the situation before it came the actual question itself. Here it is. if it matters....

Back in the day I used to play on [ZSZ] snipers - camping only and crowded populated CTF servers - no camping as well. Very fun, lots and lots of memories of then. Good times.
Both had this mutator that when you SPAWN you get this 2-5 seconds immortality, but here is the thing on all those servers with * SP *: IT HAD FORCE-RESPAWN ON.

You died, after you plus 10+ spree, when ever you took a sip of your drink or took something to nibble or just wanted your polse to twist and relax.

So being back in the editor, designing an DM map, I remembered when peopled yelled at each other for spawnkilling while there was this mutator, and they just couldn't find a good spot after spawning?

See my point here? Hope this clarifies things a bit more.

Please discuss further!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think if you want to pause is not the same as idea for being in a DM map. The whole basis of DM is to kill off the most wins.

So you would need some shield spawning with you if you wanted to be on hold, until you moved.
Maybe the code for kicking players who don't move in a certain amount of time, but instead of kicking player have it spawn a protection shield of some type.
Binary Space Partitioning
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

So the question is - are you designing a camping sniper DM map or just an ordinary DM map? To what extent is spawnkilling likely in the map you are designing? Is it actually going to be a problem?

One approach to reducing spawnkilling is through design - ensure that PlayerStarts are well spread out, well protected by 'barriers' (walls, boxes, etc), close to a reasonable weapon and possibly close to some form of armor.

Bear in mind what Red_Fist says though, the aim of an oridinary DM match to get most kills - it can be argued that part of the skill in dominating a DM map (to win) is to work out where opponents are likely to spawn and to kill them before they have a chance to get to pick ups - this is certainly true in 1-on-1 maps or other small maps.
Last edited by OjitroC on Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I've been on ZSZ camping sniper server and a lot of other. They did have the 2-sided CTF like map but DM style too lol.

But yeah a lot of these sniper map are designed as they spawn out in the open and then when you remember all of those spawn and look for someone that died to spawn there, the player has to run and hide otherwise they keep getting killed out of an easy spot. So my best bet for sniper maps is like you spawn in an hidden area but... gotta have a large hidden area or you has to run out of the area to hide elsewhere. Something I guess.

I think it take a really good skill to design camping map for open available spots for campers to run and hide from where they spawn at, so you have plenty of hiding places instead of going to like known 2 or 3 area if you remember the common spawn-run to area.

I'm just reflecting the idea for sniper camping maps tho, unless it's for something else, sorry.

(Some other probably just stuck with the whole DM-only idea and not been on camping servers to notice the difference lol cuz camping IS hiding and kill, best one for good K/D streak too. Seen anyone with that egg lately?)
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Good input.... thanks again!

It's a generic DM map that can be used for any kind of server except normal... i think I ever introduced here in the past too. But then it was crashing all over.... I think I got it stable now.....
Sniper/Redeemer/X-loc etc.... how do you call those servers ? modded? could be named different.

I'm almost calling it a beta!

----

But to get back on-topic, now it turning more Mapper-design way now..... being aware of the fact that such immortality exist..... interesting.... :lol2: :thuup:
Attachments
editor.jpg