Hide Actor Class From Editor

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
1337GameDev
Skilled
Personal rank: GameDev

Hide Actor Class From Editor

Post by 1337GameDev »

I have a handful of classes I will use in some actors im working on, and am curious if there is a way to hide them from the editor's Actor Browser (eg: when an actor is meant to be subclasses or is for code only spawning). I just don't want to litter the actor browser with these.

I tried:

Code: Select all

defaultproperties
{
    bHiddenEd=true
    bHidden=true
}
but this doesn't work.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Hide Actor Class From Editor

Post by Feralidragon »

As far as UT 436 goes (editor 2.0), you can't.
The only classes which are hidden by default are non-Actor classes.

However, starting with UT 469 (editor 2.2), I recall that you can hide non-placeable actors in the editor (unless I am confusing with later engine iterations, where you can definitely do that), although I am not 100% sure (would have to check, something which I can only do over the weekend, but you can check for yourself too).

By "non-placeable", I mean that you can flag an Actor class so it can never be added to a map from the editor, and you can do this by setting the class as nousercreate, like so:

class MyActor extends Actor nousercreate;
The properties you mentioned do something different:
  • bHidden : hides the actor in-game;
  • bHiddenEd : hides the actor in the editor viewport (but still appears in the actor browser).
1337GameDev
Skilled
Personal rank: GameDev

Re: Hide Actor Class From Editor

Post by 1337GameDev »

Feralidragon wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:06 pm As far as UT 436 goes (editor 2.0), you can't.
The only classes which are hidden by default are non-Actor classes.

However, starting with UT 469 (editor 2.2), I recall that you can hide non-placeable actors in the editor (unless I am confusing with later engine iterations, where you can definitely do that), although I am not 100% sure (would have to check, something which I can only do over the weekend, but you can check for yourself too).

By "non-placeable", I mean that you can flag an Actor class so it can never be added to a map from the editor, and you can do this by setting the class as nousercreate, like so:

class MyActor extends Actor nousercreate;
The properties you mentioned do something different:
  • bHidden : hides the actor in-game;
  • bHiddenEd : hides the actor in the editor viewport (but still appears in the actor browser).
Thanks for the explanation!

Those attributes do make sense.

I tried 'nousercreate' and it still shows in the Actor browser, but it has an * after its name. I confirmed it does NOT place when trying with this attribute, and subclasses still do. So this does work to prevent placement in the editor. Doesn't seem to be a way to hide it though.