PCX-files in photoshop

External tools, software and sites for creating or editing UT99 resources.
Hitman
Adept

PCX-files in photoshop

Post by Hitman »

I have a weird problem that I cant open PCX- files in photoshop (see pic) . I tried 2007,2015 and 2020 they all give the same error and it came with WIN10 since it worked in WIN7, anyone have some solution?
Attachments
Bild.jpg
Barbie
Godlike

Re: PCX-files in photoshop

Post by Barbie »

Maybe post the file that others can check the format?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

Hmm its all pcx-files, non will open in photoshop, gives the error above
Zero_khan
Average

Post by Zero_khan »

Irfanview to the rescue
Good Bye. I'm leaving UT99 behind. I won't be around for UT's 30th.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Hitman wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:17 pm Hmm its all pcx-files, non will open in photoshop, gives the error above
Probably because they aren't .pcx - how do I know? I run an iMac - normally if I single click on a pcx, Preview will just show a generic file image and not open the pcx as I have nothing (outside UT) to open them. WIth the pcx files in your UMSniperRifleV, Preview shows the content of the pcx - I see the image - so, for example, with the WolfBullets0.pcx I see the bullet box and the UM motif. If this file was a pcx I wouldn't see this.

The pcx file is exactly the same size as the bmp. So I would suggest that the pcx files aren't pcx but bmp and so Photoshop won't open them as a pcx because they aren't. I may be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Hitman wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:41 pmI have a weird problem that I cant open PCX- files in photoshop (see pic) . I tried 2007,2015 and 2020 they all give the same error and it came with WIN10 since it worked in WIN7, anyone have some solution?
I convert 256 colored .pcx files to True Color .png files, edit them like that, and then convert them back when I'm done.

Don't use photoshop though. I use ThumbsPlus for conversions and do edits with Microsoft Paint.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Gimp and Wally are a great combo, provided you can find where to download Wally (ANCIENT EDITOR!)
Ozma777
Average

Post by Ozma777 »

yeah I use irfanview if all else fails. I also have (ancient) paintshop but not photoshop. maybe irfanview can convert to png like one of the other posters said. edit then reconvert to pcx. I only use bmp 256 grayscale for UT99 because I make my terrains in bryce and dump the bmp's into terraedit
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You could open PCX files on win7?