How to install a stable UT99 game?

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
jerymon
Novice

How to install a stable UT99 game?

Post by jerymon »

At this point I don't even know where to start. I have been trying to get a stable version of UT99 I can play without crashing since I built my Ryzen 5 3600 with no luck. I can play for maybe an hour (sometimes not even 10 minutes) but then the screen goes blank (some not so pretty RED, GREEN sometimes BLUE blank screen) and the system reboots. I'm no UT gooroo just a player and I can't find the reason for the crashing. No BSOD, memory dump or anything else giving me a clue. At this point I have uninstalled the game (which I've done countless times) and am wondering if I should just give it up. I'm not a big gamer and UT is really the only game I play and only on a specific server (casue I LIKE IT) but the frustration is wearing me down.

Last install was a copy purchased from GOG.com (UT99 GOTY) with the 469a patch on top of it using the D3D9 drivers (thats the drivers the server runs on). Not sure what updated version of drivers but I believe I found them on this site somewhere. I have tried everything I know to try and everything I've read about fixing crashes.

Does anyone have a magic wand or some fix it ferry dust?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: How to install a stable UT99 game?

Post by EvilGrins »

Get a copy of Unreal Anthology, it's a complete download with all the best patches of Unreal 1, ut99, Unreal 2, & ut2004.

It's will get your ut99 right.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Post by Que »

Perhaps try reverting back to version 451b?

https://unrealarchive.org/patches-updat ... index.html
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Weird. Ive never experienced that UT causes some weird colors like that or reboots my system. Ive only had normal crashes to desktop with error messages. Have you tried to run other games to test? Maybe something is wrong with your system?
Last install was a copy purchased from GOG.com (UT99 GOTY) with the 469a patch on top of it using the D3D9 drivers (thats the drivers the server runs on).
GOG should be good. 469 patch solves some stuff, but can have some other bugs too. Maybe try your UT first without patching (436). Also Im a bit confused on the D3D9 drivers bcs the server uses it? D3D9 is a renderer and should only affect how you render UT, its not connected to a server setting. You can try running a different one like OpenGL or the renderer that came with 469 (if you want to run that patch). Test out what works.
jerymon
Novice

Post by jerymon »

Metalfist wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:32 am Weird. Ive never experienced that UT causes some weird colors like that or reboots my system. Ive only had normal crashes to desktop with error messages. Have you tried to run other games to test? Maybe something is wrong with your system?
Last install was a copy purchased from GOG.com (UT99 GOTY) with the 469a patch on top of it using the D3D9 drivers (thats the drivers the server runs on).
GOG should be good. 469 patch solves some stuff, but can have some other bugs too. Maybe try your UT first without patching (436). Also Im a bit confused on the D3D9 drivers bcs the server uses it? D3D9 is a renderer and should only affect how you render UT, its not connected to a server setting. You can try running a different one like OpenGL or the renderer that came with 469 (if you want to run that patch). Test out what works.
Before installing the 469a patch I created a "backup folder" of the game. I just copied that to a new UT folder and installed the 451b patch on it. I did play it for a few minutes before going to bed without issue so we'll see what happens today. Like I said I'm just a player so I don't have alot of knowledge of the inner workings of the game but when I use OpenGL or other "renderers" the game is dark with other video issues I don't know how to fix (actually haven't tried other options).

I experienced the same issues with 436 so we'll see what happens with 451b.
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

It depens on wich version he has if he has a lower version then 436 ,then he must use the patch wich the ut99 updated to atleast version 436.
That reboot is not normal.sadly.If he has the goty edition he just dont have to patch becouse goty is already 436.
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Keep it at 436 with the latest OldUnreal media patch for now. (reinstall a clean GOG copy)
Apply > https://www.oldunreal.com/utpatches.html (OMP-UT-V0.2.exe)
If it still crashes after a period of time, let us know.
But iam sure you will experience more stability.

451(b) is for servers.
469x is still in beta, and can result in unexpected situations.
Renderers are indeed for clients as Metalfist describes, the OMPv0.2 contains all what you need for 436.
The most stable renderer on modern systems nowadays is still d3d9, make sure you try this.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I may be completely wrong but the nature of the problem (blank/coloured screen followed by a system crash and reboot) suggests the heart of the issue lies outside UT and possibly with the system itself.

As I understand it, Ryzen 5 3600 is a multi-core (6?) processor - UT, being a 20+ year old game, was designed to run on a single core (or, at best, a dual core). I merely put this forward as something to consider and, hopefully, for people with a greater knowledge to confirm/reject and offer potential solutions.
jerymon
Novice

Post by jerymon »

esnesi wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:51 pm Keep it at 436 with the latest OldUnreal media patch for now. (reinstall a clean GOG copy)

451(b) is for servers.
Renderers are indeed for clients as Metalfist describes, the OMPv0.2 contains all what you need for 436.
The most stable renderer on modern systems nowadays is still d3d9, make sure you try this.
OK I'll start from scratch and install the GOTY I have from GOG.com and follow your instructions and keep you up to date. If by chance I experience the same issue is there a "log" or some file that will give a clue to the problem?
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

jerymon wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:42 pm
esnesi wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:51 pm Keep it at 436 with the latest OldUnreal media patch for now. (reinstall a clean GOG copy)

451(b) is for servers.
OK I'll start from scratch and install the GOTY I have from GOG.com and follow your instructions and keep you up to date. If by chance I experience the same issue is there a "log" or some file that will give a clue to the problem?
\System folder UnrealTournament.log indeed.
Or you could put -log in the game shortcut target properties.
This way you have a debug console.
OjitroC wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:35 pm I may be completely wrong but the nature of the problem (blank/coloured screen followed by a system crash and reboot) suggests the heart of the issue lies outside UT and possibly with the system itself.

As I understand it, Ryzen 5 3600 is a multi-core (6?) processor - UT, being a 20+ year old game, was designed to run on a single core (or, at best, a dual core). I merely put this forward as something to consider and, hopefully, for people with a greater knowledge to confirm/reject and offer potential solutions.
If the issue remains, we can go into eventviewer to see what caused the actual Windows reboot.
First got to make sure he's using a stable version.
If there is no logging of the UT crash, it's his Windows causing issues.
And there should be more info about it in the eventviewer.
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

I'm kind of surprised by the replies so far. What you're describing is 100% a hardware issue. Any software fixes you attempt are a waste of time. Try to install the hardware monitoring tools that came with your motherboard to see if anything overheats (this would be my best bet). If the temperatures seem stable and sufficiently low, then try running memtest86+. No mainstream game will cause sudden reboots, no matter how buggy it is.
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Yeah I think it's rather a pc system issue, not an ut issue. You said you built your pc yourself? You didn't forget to put thermal paste on the cpu right?! :tongue:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

No, buying the complete Unreal collection wont solve anything. The GoG version is the GOTY version (minus the second CD)

OMP-UT-V0.2 is not the newer build in the list at the OldUnreal site. Oldest files at the top, newest at the bottom.
You want the OMP0.99b-UT436-UT451

Note, the choice of renderer is down to what GFX hardware you have, not what a server is running.
For ATI and intel use DirectX, and for nVidia use OpenGL.

Did you install the final DirectX 9 distro ? If not you are missing HW support for DX9 and lower.
Patch 451 was not finished and is intended for severs not clients, but as long as you don't need to use the editor it shouldn't be a problem.
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Post by Que »

anth wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:25 pm I'm kind of surprised by the replies so far. What you're describing is 100% a hardware issue. Any software fixes you attempt are a waste of time. Try to install the hardware monitoring tools that came with your motherboard to see if anything overheats (this would be my best bet). If the temperatures seem stable and sufficiently low, then try running memtest86+. No mainstream game will cause sudden reboots, no matter how buggy it is.

That is indeed likely to be the case. May need to run a utility like RealTemp and see what's happening there.
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
jerymon
Novice

Post by jerymon »

Ok I'm going to try an touch on everyones post and opinions and answer questions to the best of my ability. First off the system is a Rzen 5 3600 on an MSI x470 Gaming Plus Max (all up to date BIOS, Chipset, drivers). The GPU is a Radeon RX 570 8GT OC (Software Version (2020.1113.1501.27036 (20.11.2)). I have done stress test before on all components but will not rule anything out at this point. Thermal paste? I did not use any additional only what came on the fan with the processor (the CPU temps run from 47 to 58 Celsius, I do not OC the system or GPU). I have run memtest86 before with no errors or issues but will run it again if suggested. The system seems rock solid and I do not have any issues except with UT.