MapRaider

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

MapRaider

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Is Mapraider still a thing? I have been to the site and it's still up. But I'm unable to upload any maps. I have reached out to them and haven't heard back.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: MapRaider

Post by OjitroC »

This is what the site admin said about whether the upload service was working around a month ago :-

"FreakinMeany — 1 month, 16 days ago
Not yet - going to take me a while, but I'll post an update as a main news as soon as it's ready."

Looking through the site's forum there have been problems with uploading on and off for a couple of years or more.

You could upload it to UnrealArchive if you want - people who are aware of the site may well check out the 'Recent Additions' page periodically.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

For ut99, hard to say. no one's uploaded a map for this game there since 2019... other games, even other versions of UT, have some more recent uploads.

Their forum is currently on the blink and the site itself is loading slowly.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Utzone.de I believe still accepts uploads, the already mentioned UnrealArchive, maybe i4games (tho they are more focused on BT maps)
Other places like GameBanana and moddb also are valid options and have a UT section.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Ahh, that makes sense. Thank you for the information and I will check out UnrealArchive, Utzone.de.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:36 pmUtzone.de I believe still accepts uploads
They do, though their upload protocols can be a bit extensive.

I've noted some of their UT99 map sections barely have anything so, I put some of my edits in there now and again.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Zeddy_Ryan
Novice

Post by Zeddy_Ryan »

I have been unable to create an account at MapRaider because the validation/verification email never shows up. I've thought about contacting someone there about it, but honestly I think there are plenty of alternatives, particularly UnrealArchive.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

@Shade UT99.org public FTP when?
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

@FreakinMeany can you please attend to this ?
FreakinMeany
Novice

Post by FreakinMeany »

Yes, Mapraider is still a thing. I had to migrate the site to a new server recently and a few things are broken at the moment (as someone above already mentioned, thank you). The upload functionality is broken in the worst way because it relied on Flash and I'm having to rewrite it using modern tech. "Real Life" over the last few years with family and work and that pandemic thing have made maintaining things a challenge, particularly because Mapraider is somewhat curated.

No timing on when everything will be back to fully functional, but it will happen.

For what it's worth, unofficially there's a Mapraider Discord, but note that my responses may be slow depending on work/availability: https://discord.com/invite/feMzYsv

Feel free to post map releases there in the "map-releases" channel or on the site forums. Be sure to include a download link (Mega.nz is still a great place to host your files). I will _eventually_ add anything I see to the site.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:12 pm Is Mapraider still a thing? I have been to the site and it's still up. But I'm unable to upload any maps. I have reached out to them and haven't heard back.
Where did you reach out, DxTrEm3Fx? I may have missed it, but I don't recall seeing anything. Apologies.

Zeddy_Ryan wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:10 pm I have been unable to create an account at MapRaider because the validation/verification email never shows up. I've thought about contacting someone there about it, but honestly I think there are plenty of alternatives, particularly UnrealArchive.
Check your spam folder. If it's not there, use the contact form on the site to send me a note with your alias and email address and I'll see what I can do. I thought this was working as I see the requests for verification codes coming in, but it may have been broken in the move.
Last edited by FreakinMeany on Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Hello FreakinMeany,
I used the contact form. I was having issues with my password as I could not remember it. I have since corrected that problem and I'm able to log in. Thank you for the discord link. I hope you can get everything up and running again so we can upload files.
Zeddy_Ryan
Novice

Post by Zeddy_Ryan »

FreakinMeany wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:29 pm Check your spam folder. If it's not there, use the contact form on the site to send me a note with your alias and email address and I'll see what I can do. I thought this was working as I see the requests for verification codes coming in, but it may have been broken in the move.
Thanks for the response! I have now used the contact form to send you a note. Attend to it when you have time, there is no rush!
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

I do not see a note from you or anyone In my email or when I log in to the MR site.
Zeddy_Ryan
Novice

Post by Zeddy_Ryan »

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:01 pm I do not see a note from you or anyone In my email or when I log in to the MR site.
I'm not the MapRaider person, I was responding to the MapRaider person.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

"MapRaider person" sounds kinda ominous if you ask me.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction