Mapping Forum Suggestion

Do you want to say something about UT99.org?
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Mapping Forum Suggestion

Post by Myth »

I have a small suggestion regarding the Mapping forum.

This is how the mapping forum looks when you open it on a 1920x1080 display:
s03.png
Not everybody has this display but it's fairly common one and in general you should make sure people have a good experience on it.

Basically the whole screen is filled up with pins. And the first non-pin post might be visible if it weren't for that pesky cookie notification.

Lets's examine what's in there:
s02.png
I can see a trend emerging. It's mostly tutorials. While indeed tutorials are eternally relevant, it's also possible that most people on the mapping forum already went through and at least read them to see what's going on in there.

So here is my suggestion:
s01.png
Unpin them, and create a new pinned post which contains a link to all of them. The line between tutorial tools or resources is pretty blurry, so I'd just put them all in one eternally relevant pile. This way you can even include tutorials/tools of lesser importance which didn't get pinned, and, hold on your shock rifles, you can also add links to external tutorials/resources. How neat is that?

Imagine a thread having the best tutorials/resources/tools, hand picked by ut99 staff in a single page. The thread can be left open for additional suggestions but first few posts kept updated.
Last edited by Myth on Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Mapping Forum Suggestion

Post by OjitroC »

Myth wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:15 pm I have a small suggestion regarding the Mapping forum.

This is how the mapping forum looks when you open it on a 1920x1080 display:

s01.png

Not everybody has this display but it's fairly common one and in general you should make sure people have a good experience on it.

Basically the whole screen is filled up with pins. And the first non-pin post might be visible if it weren't for that pesky cookie notification.
That's odd - your first screenshot actually shows the first non-pin post as the DM-Suburbs thread which is the fifth one down - the ones below it are in chronological order. That's what I see on the IPad but not on my Mac.

Agree with your suggestion though.
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

Right, honest mistake from my side, thanks for pointing that out, I've edited the post to fix it! That's what I get for naming my files s01, s02 and s03. You have no idea what's in them.

Edit: look at the screenshot again, maybe the stock texture list could also be considered a resource and grouped into the pinned thread instead of having it pinned.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I somehow like that Idea.
And I move these thread into the suggestion section ;)
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Good idea indeed.
We consolidated our mapping tutorials section into a sub forum of our mapping section over at HUTP some time ago.
Works well I think too! :tu:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Myth wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:15 pm I have a small suggestion regarding the Mapping forum.
Done ;)
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

Cool they have their own subforums! And you even moved in a few tutorials which were not pinned!