Possible CTF conversion

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Possible CTF conversion

Post by EvilGrins »

Just submitted it for pathing and assessment, when that's done will setup a beta here for the forum to test and assess for play.

Key decision, at first, is if my desired flag position was too ambitious.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Okay, we have a workable BETA for testing!
Image Image Image Image

Give it a look over, put it through its paces, reply with LOTS of input.

An initial concern was flag locations, so what do you think of those and do you think might it be better elsewhere?

Have fun!
Attachments
CTF-TimeRip_BETA.zip
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The flag locations are fine - the rather circuitous, elevated route to the flags makes it challenging and interesting.

Overall it is certainly a map that lends itself to conversion to CTF. I like the subtle differences in the colouring on both sides that makes it clear which is the Red and which is the Blue 'side'. I think one can become familiar with the layout and routes fairly quickly - some of the steps in the corners just go down to the dancers and come back up on the same side but one soon gets the hang of that.

A few detailed comments
1) No DefencePoints near or on the route to the flags?
2) Sniper rifles only in the towers - why not put one on the pillars near the flag?
3) Check LiftCentre5 - it has no tag though it is on Mover8 so presumably should have the tag of that lift?
4) PlayerStarts10 and 12 are more or less over the teleporters from the towers thus possibly giving rise to telefragging on spawning - unlikely but possible - that possibility can be avoided by the moving those Starts somewhat.

Sektor's MapGarbage reports

Code: Select all

WallHitting: PlayerStart19 is facing a closer wall, a rocket fired too quickly might be damaging.
WallHitting: PlayerStart32 is facing a closer wall, a rocket fired too quickly might be damaging.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:25 am1) No DefencePoints near or on the route to the flags?
2) Sniper rifles only in the towers - why not put one on the pillars near the flag?
3) Check LiftCentre5 - it has no tag though it is on Mover8 so presumably should have the tag of that lift?
4) PlayerStarts10 and 12 are more or less over the teleporters from the towers thus possibly giving rise to telefragging on spawning - unlikely but possible - that possibility can be avoided by the moving those Starts somewhat.
1. I've noted in-play the defense bots do stop on the upper levels near to where the flags are, so I'm assuming defense points there (provided 4th screenshot above) but I've been testing by watching bots so far, haven't checked it in UnrealEd.

2. Holdover from Deathmatch setup, ideal for players to snipe from should they choose to.

4. Good catch, will keep any eye on that in testing.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:15 am 1. I've noted in-play the defense bots do stop on the upper levels near to where the flags are, so I'm assuming defense points there (provided 4th screenshot above) but I've been testing by watching bots so far, haven't checked it in UnrealEd.
No, there are no DefencePoints in the map (I have checked in the Editor). You may feel that they are not essential.

Playing the map with bots, I would set most to take the flag and go and snipe from one of the towers but ... that's just me, can't resist a chance to get a few headshots.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:25 amsome of the steps in the corners just go down to the dancers and come back up on the same side
That's different, each side has its own little dance club.

Dance Club is the only place on both sides that doesn't lead to the other side when you go downstairs.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

New update:
- Pathing improved.
- Defense points added, 1 more or less where bots were defending already and an extra by a side staircase.

Have a look, let me know what you think.

Image Image
Attachments
CTF-TimeRip_CHARLIE.unr
(3.75 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

This is connected to that · viewtopic.php?p=131890 · and I'll be releasing the final version later today.
Attachments
Shot0127.png