Added ambient map sounds volume too low

Search and find cool Voicepacks, Sounds and Music or show us your own ones!
handsomep
Novice

Added ambient map sounds volume too low

Post by handsomep »

Not sure if it's a configuration issue or normal behavior, but ambient .uax map sounds that authors have added to their maps are too low in volume compared to standard sounds like weapon fire etc. If I turn up the volume to make them audible, the weapon fire is blaring loud. Has anyone come across this issue before?
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Added ambient map sounds volume too low

Post by OjitroC »

Not really, no. It's hard to say without hearing what you hear - the volume of ambient sound is going to vary from map to map and in different parts of the map. It may also depend on which UT version and which audiodevice you are using. I would say if the ambient sounds are too low in all the maps you play for them to be clearly heard, then that is rather odd.

You could post the settings in your UnrealTournament.ini for [Audio.GenericAudioSubsystem] and for the audiodevice you are using and pehaps someone may be able to suggest whether something needs tweaking or not.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

This is one of these problems that can be caused by a million things in the map itself before even touching the audio driver. Does it happen on all maps? All imported sounds? All packages? Or is that just a problem with one map, a couple sounds from a single package whose sounds have not been raised to appropriate volume before import?
You must construct additional pylons.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The other thing to ask is whether ambient sounds have always sounded low to you or has this changed?

What volume do you have set?
handsomep
Novice

Post by handsomep »

Thank you for the replies. I seemed to notice the lack of sound effects (or extremely low volume) in two or three maps so I assumed it was a general problem BUT I just played another map with a fan in it, and the volume of the fan was perfect. So it may be a question of an issue in the other two/three maps I played. Or maybe just an issue with one and the others I was playing them late at night with the volume turned down. Could also have been a temporary glitch I guess. I'll try the maps again and report back. One of them, I remember playing way back in the day and I could clearly hear the Pac Man sound effects from the game in the map whereas when I played it again a week ago, I didn't hear the sound effects. Thanks for the help, will post back with more info. :-)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

If you find you don't hear the sound effects in the map(s), you can always post their names (plus links if they are readily available) and seek confirmation.