Spring cleaning, happy Easter

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Spring cleaning, happy Easter

Post by EvilGrins »

I sometimes play a map before reading the ReadMe, so the 1 player-start was a bit of a surprise... but this is a map more to walk through and explore than play.

Kinda cheated, most maze maps I like to get onto the walls and walk on top of them. Easier to get where you're going that way.

I've seen the Westworld movies, I've yet to see the more recent TV series... but this was fun. Didn't explore the whole base, and I got lost for the bit I did explore, but I'm looking forward to going back again later.
Attachments
Shot0122.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Yes. What I discovered is UT will play the exact same map in different game modes depending on what prefix you attach to the file regardless of whatever DefaultGameType you specified in the LevelInfo array.

When making the Pawns series for example, I made a separate file for each game mode, which just became confusing. Eleven maps altogether.

For maps like Chessaholic and Bombardment, I just made 1 CTF map to cover all 3 bases, CTF, TEAM and DM, which can be set by changing the prefix.

For example if you take a CTF map and place a DM prefix in the file name, UT will automatically remove the FlagBases and play it as a Deathmatch or Team game.

I don't know why Unreal-UT Spawns to the wrong Team PlayerStart UNLESS in Assault or CTF mode. I noticed this issue years ago when I made the original Bombardment map, and frankly am not overly concerned about it.

Some have mentioned that they experienced problems with files having "spaces" in the names?

I never had that issue, however please feel free to alter any of these file names to your liking but please use highly individualized alternate names or avoid redistribution of these files to prevent any possible version mismatch errors.
EvilGrins wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:24 pm DM-Bombardment 2021 is interesting, and yeah there are a lot of maps I know of where no kill-zone was setup below and the fall is even larger than this and still bots survive the fall. It's weird.
OjitroC wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:22 pm Yeah, DM-Bombardment 2021 doesn't work fully because of the non-fatal fall and bots not spawning in the correct team location, though it is fun for a while until a bot decides to jump over the wall into the 'pit'. It's probably best with humans.
Yes, EvilGrins and OjitroC are absolutely correct.

I found that some of the bots were miraculously surviving the 30 story "plummet" into the pit, preventing them from respawning back in the game. Sometimes they would take the flag with them, (which is just plain poor sportsmanship), so the lava zone was added to insure any high divers would be recycled upon entry.

Bots are finicky. If they detect even the slightest obstruction, inconvenience or are simply in a bad mood, they immediately turn around and go back the way they came. For this reason I removed the stairs and replaced it with a nice easy ramp.

They also seem to get stuck on certain pickups, what I believe sektor2111 refers to as "looping" which is a valid concern. Took a lot of test runs to get that right.

CORRECTION: Moved the pickups from the front of the buildings to the back of the buildings and eliminated the ammo pickups to insure bots perform correctly. Also added a step at the bridge to smooth it out a little.

Last edited by jmartin on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

jmartin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:56 am Some have mentioned that they experienced problems with files having "spaces" in the names?

I never had that issue, however please feel free to alter any of these file names to your liking but please use highly individualized alternate names or avoid redistribution of these files to prevent any possible version mismatch errors.
#1 Did you even redirected files for a normal plain server ? How many stock maps are having SPACE ? Does any common player download such an UZ file ? Is that such a sudden critical need in 2021 ? I think it can be Bombardment_jm_2021 and nothing explodes guaranteed...
#2 As long as Adjusted file doesn't include space I don't see where mismatch error happens...
Let me know if here is a mismatch with any of previous shares...
CTF-Bombardment_2021.7z
(79.58 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Paths, Items, Dead-zone - piece of cake. If you want to see real mismatches look for map DM-Arena at unrealarchive.org - and others with generic names :P .
Stupid_Generic_Names.PNG
Now this is a mismatching rampage.

In other hand, things with SPACE were never good in UE1. For those living on their own planet I'm quoting a few things from newer 469 patch docs:
469InfoDoc wrote: Miscellaneous

Fixed a bug that caused the game to parse commandline parameters incorrectly when the game was launched from a folder containing spaces
Input and Windowing

Fixed a bug that caused the scrolling animation in the preferences window to play in the opposite direction.
Fixed an issue where you could not select property values containing spaces in the preferences menu.
And issues are not only there...
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:22 am Kinda cheated, most maze maps I like to get onto the walls and walk on top of them. Easier to get where you're going that way.

I've seen the Westworld movies, I've yet to see the more recent TV series... but this was fun. Didn't explore the whole base, and I got lost for the bit I did explore, but I'm looking forward to going back again later.
Thanks EG

That maze plays an integral part in the Westworld series. It's based on a kid's game called Pigs in Clover, where you have to roll a ball through the maze to reach its center.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment ... n-in-black

Don't want to spoil it, but in Westworld it has something to do with the robots.

There is also an Unreal'98 version (had to be loyal to the old school), maze only.

There's a trick to getting on top of the wall. It involves the elevator. :wink:

EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

jmartin wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:24 amThat maze plays an integral part in the Westworld series. It's based on a kid's game called Pigs in Clover, where you have to roll a ball through the maze to reach its center.
Don't want to spoil it, but in Westworld it has something to do with the robots.
Just started watching the more recent Westworld series, I'm 6 episodes into Season 1, and it's amazing to me how much I recognize in the series from your map.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

:wth: ...