Monster Hunt Maps & configuration

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
kaneder
Novice

Monster Hunt Maps & configuration

Post by kaneder »

It's 2021 and I've discovered MH (love it) but more importantly I'm running it on my home LAN server. Looking for map recommendations for a hunter party up to 4 players. Also if you wouldn't mind, I wanted to share my config with you to rate. It's for a more challenging run and seems to keep you on your toes but I've only tested it on the base maps. Right now I'm using MH2Gold for a few reasons: the announcer, the radar (even though I barely look at it, it looks cool) the leaderboard stats, ghost carcass & alt scoring where damage equals score. These things together make for an arcade game feel and that's what I'm looking for. I've removed or dumbed down some other options but I'll get to my config below, let me know if you think it's very odd or just plain awful:

Default Health: 100 HP (regen ticks 2 HP a sec. back up to 100)
No regen underwater
+6 HP from every Monster kill
Max Health: 999 HP
All Health items will get you to 199 HP (super health from rewards will boost toward max health)
Spawn Protection: 10 sec.
Bastard Sword Melee :)
No Random Weapons
No Ammo Regen
No Double Jump
No Translocator
Alt Scoring: 1,500 Max Damage
Max Monster Health: 10,000
Monster Skill: 7
Infinite Lives
MultiWeaponStay
Nali Rewards: 5 min. interval to all players = shield belt/super health(45 weight chance), mh2 rifle@125 DMG(40 weight chance), udamage(35 weight chance), nukelevelD(9 weight chance)

I think that's all the important things. A few gripes about MH2Gold is (I think?) there's no real way to completely disable the rewards unless you just want to increase the time to a high number. I'd also love to be able to remove the 'GettingCountry' text from the Leaderboards, since the IP2Country doesn't seem to work anymore. Other than that I'm having a ton of fun with it & wish I played it at all when I was younger. Anyway, if you have any favorite MH maps please let me know. I love the idea of the big big Serious Sam style maps too ...but maps that are tight and fun like MH-Lonely are some of my favorites.

Edit: installed MH504(3 was bugged & didn't allow me to use lives) as a 'classic' rule on mapvote. there's just something special/pure about it, almost palate cleansing. it's good to have options.
Edit: removed the redeemer as a reward, it was giving it to some players or none at all at times
Last edited by kaneder on Wed May 05, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 19 times in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Monster Hunt Maps & configuration

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm thinking if I really need to do whatever 505 compatible with 503 or a new formula, available for stock UT (no new XC support because I see XC missing in action last time), but UT's stock will show up some bugs - and I will be asked about EPIC bugs which I did not do and so on, happens when you let monster to do what has to do a la EPIC, and then... Does it worth moving a finger when clueless ones looking at UnrealShare's bugs will ask you about them instead of using a better stock ?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I don't know about only 4 players...
· https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/99452.html
· https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/120294.html
· https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/120500.html
· https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/121054.html
· https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/125101.html
· https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/83609.html
· https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/108646.html
· https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/116266.html
...but I suppose these would work well enough.

Keep in mind, the more mutators you use the more you may bog down available memory. This may not seem like a big deal until a lack of memory slows you down and something starts eating your face.
I personally in MH only really use oldskool so everyone has a Dispersion Rifle, Excessive which regenerates health & armor, DeemerFireworks because it's the most efficient redeemer, and occasionally the radar.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
kaneder
Novice

Post by kaneder »

sektor2111 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:13 pmDoes it worth moving a finger when clueless ones looking at UnrealShare's bugs will ask you about them instead of using a better stock ?
It's not that big a deal, just wondered about it as a side thought.

=MERGED=
Seems fun, thanks dude.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

kaneder wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:37 pmI'm running it on my home LAN server. Looking for map recommendations for a hunter party to to 4 players.
Talk with Barbie.
She in previous time offer ready to install MH server virtual machine image for anyone who want setup own MH server.
EvilGrins wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:56 pm Keep in mind, the more mutators you use the more you may bog down available memory.
Not exactly true. Highly depends from what mutators do.
100 mutators can eat memory less from bugged one.
kaneder wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:37 pm installed MH504 to keep my Monster Arena alive
Usually used 503 version.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

FWIW, in MH I use the Nali Weapons NWMHExtrasVIII.NWMHMut - it has regen for various things (ammo, health, etc) + rewards (which can be disabled) + other stuff. It's all highly configurable and worth looking at if you haven't already - you don't need to use the Weapons to use this mutator. I also use StuffSwapper with 'real life' weapons sometimes depending on the type of map, strength of the monsters, etc.

I tend to play MH maps that can be completed by one Player and so can't really recommend any - but again if you haven't, check out maps by Thunderbolt and Terraniux (browse/search the authors on Unreal Archive) - they are usually good fun (and some have been edited by EG as noted earlier).
kaneder
Novice

Post by kaneder »

OjitroC wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:47 pm FWIW, in MH I use the Nali Weapons NWMHExtrasVIII.NWMHMut - it has regen for various things (ammo, health, etc) + rewards (which can be disabled) + other stuff. It's all highly configurable and worth looking at if you haven't already - you don't need to use the Weapons to use this mutator.
I was thinking of doing a classic mode and one mode with Nali rewards (NWMHExtrasVIII.NWMHMut) but I couldn't figure out how to remove the all weapons reward, which brought in the Nali Weapon models. Maybe I set it up incorrectly, I think I was also trying to use a custom profile that I edited to remove the weapons. (edit: no I tried only adding extras and it still brings in the nali models as rewards. i'll look through the ini files) edit2: figured it out :) thanks
Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Post by Pileyrei »

Check out UnrealMayhems NaliWeapons 3 MH server. Its insane!
Just search in the al servers tab.

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I am against spawn protection or map time limits, plus it's not DM.

I just figure if you have to spawn and enemies ended up there, it's like the way the map plays by chance or by poor design.
there is one map, let me go see and make sure I am thinking of the right name.

Ah nope, it's not an MH map :cry:
https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1573

, you could also setup a SP oldskool server and set it to Coop, almost the same as MH. But there is a whole lot of SP maps around. I wonder if there is a MH version of this map.

I am trying to think of maps still, need to remember what I think is good.

top 4 were SP maps, kind of big

mh-orticanmh
MH-SkaarjCastle2012
MH-SkaarjTower
MH-WhitePalace

MH-ATAA2+ And this is just insane, LoL

MH-BukieAntFarm clever map.
Binary Space Partitioning
kaneder
Novice

Post by kaneder »

We ended up playing a match last night on MH-CrystalMine3 and it was really fun. I edited my config above to match a few things we changed. Even with the 5 min. rewards, it was really difficult because of the health limit and no regenerating ammo. I liked that a lot (we finished in around an hour and a half) but I had to fix a couple things. The Bastard Sword took over my weapon priority so I had to edit my User.ini. Also the super health award wasn't awarding anything past 200 HP which I realized had to do with my Nali profile so I edited that to match my max health of 999. I loaded it as a mutator for the gametype so it was different than my other Nali game modes. I originally had even more basic rewards like the jump boots but those along with the MH2 redeemer dropped onto the ground instead of directly to the inventory, so I removed the boots and used the default botpack redeemer.

=MERGED=
Red_Fist wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:05 pm Ah nope, it's not an MH map :cry:
https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1573

, you could also setup a SP oldskool server and set it to Coop, almost the same as MH. But there is a whole lot of SP maps around. I wonder if there is a MH version of this map.
I'm curious, what would happen if I renamed this map to MH- and loaded it like it was Monster Hunt? I have Oldskool installed, just not sure what to look for to know if it's not working as intended?
Last edited by papercoffee on Thu May 06, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: double post
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

kaneder wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 pmwhat would happen if I renamed this map to MH- and loaded it like it was Monster Hunt?
That will work, but there won't be a MHEnd. Instead at ending point the map has a teleporter to another map. I have written a mutator that exchanges such teleporters with MHEnds. See here.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
kaneder
Novice

Post by kaneder »

Barbie wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:57 pm
kaneder wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 pmwhat would happen if I renamed this map to MH- and loaded it like it was Monster Hunt?
That will work, but there won't be a MHEnd. Instead at ending point the map has a teleporter to another map. I have written a mutator that exchanges such teleporters with MHEnds. See here.
Very cool, thanks a lot ! :D

=MERGED=

I'm not too familiar with SP maps, it's intended for a single life right? I noticed on this map the starter weapons don't respawn. I wonder if I can set a single life mode via my mapvote config.
edit: Okay I renamed the map SP- in its own gamemode ruleset and did lives=1,maxspectators=3,maxplayers=1 for a fun little single player mode whenever we feel like taking turns at that challenge :) ... would all sp maps work like this with Barbies mutator then? I could spend all day downloading these :D
Last edited by papercoffee on Thu May 06, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: double post
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

kaneder wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:39 am I'm not too familiar with SP maps, it's intended for a single life right? I noticed on this map the starter weapons don't respawn. I wonder if I can set a single life mode via my mapvote config.
edit: Okay I renamed the map SP- in its own gamemode ruleset and did lives=1,maxspectators=3,maxplayers=1 for a fun little single player mode whenever we feel like taking turns at that challenge :) ... would all sp maps work like this with Barbies mutator then? I could spend all day downloading these :D
Sngle Player maps are primarily intended for one player with one life (though it's a bit more complicated than that*) - some SP maps are set up for Coop (where several Players can play the map) and will have more than one PlayerStart (LastFortress has 9 PlayerStarts) but quite a few SP maps will only have one PlayerStart. Playing the maps in oldskool off-line enables progress to be saved so that the map doesn't have to be completed all in one 'go' (and one can also avoid dying).

SP maps will have an ending URL teleporter where they are part of a larger campaign (like Xidia/XidiaGold/7 Bullets/SavageLands) - the campaign will consist of multiple maps. Other Single Player maps are just single maps (like LastFortress) and so will not have an ending URL but normally an ending event and/or message.

SP maps also have difficulty levels (0-3) and one can choose the difficulty level to play - normally the number and strength of enemies increases with the difficulty level. People who have played MH a lot may find SP maps less 'interesting' as it were since, in many cases, there won't be as many monsters to kill and they normally won't be high powered (health, projectile damage, etc, etc).

The essence of SP is that it offers a more immersive experience than MH (which really just entails killing things) - good SP maps/campaigns will have a story; offer challenges like puzzles to solve in order to progress; give players a chance to explore the environment; offer good design, sound, music, etc - everything needed to make for an enjoyable experience. They may take a long time to complete - an hour or two or more - the bigger campaigns will take days.

*Plus - most SP maps are intended to be played with oldskool and the weapons and other stuff in the map - so weapons won't respawn. They're also not intended to be played with regeneration mutators so no health or ammo regen - basically one plays with what's in the map and one's starting health, saving progress before/after significant battles to avoid being killed and having to start the map again. So they are intended also for one life (protected, in part, by frequently saving progress).

Of course, if you can't save progress, then you need to use a health regen but that needs to be set at the right kind of level, depending on the strength of the opponents encountered in the map, to make it challenging and interesting.

One last factor to take account of - in SP campaigns (more than one map) the player will carry all inventory + health + armour over to the next map. If you play campaign maps singly you will start with the basic DP and basic health and may not acquire another weapon for some time - this may present difficulities in dealing with enemies you may encounter and so reduce the enjoyment and playability of the map. This means a good deal of experimenting to find which maps work OK singly and which don't.
kaneder
Novice

Post by kaneder »

OjitroC wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:44 am Sngle Player maps are primarily intended for one player with one life (though it's a bit more complicated than that*) - some SP maps are set up for Coop (where several Players can play the map) and will have more than one PlayerStart (LastFortress has 9 PlayerStarts) but quite a few SP maps will only have one PlayerStart. Playing the maps in oldskool off-line enables progress to be saved so that the map doesn't have to be completed all in one 'go' (and one can also avoid dying).

SP maps will have an ending URL teleporter where they are part of a larger campaign (like Xidia/XidiaGold/7 Bullets/SavageLands) - the campaign will consist of multiple maps. Other Single Player maps are just single maps (like LastFortress) and so will not have an ending URL but normally an ending event and/or message.

SP maps also have difficulty levels (0-3) and one can choose the difficulty level to play - normally the number and strength of enemies increases with the difficulty level. People who have played MH a lot may find SP maps less 'interesting' as it were since, in many cases, there won't be as many monsters to kill and they normally won't be high powered (health, projectile damage, etc, etc).

The essence of SP is that it offers a more immersive experience than MH (which really just entails killing things) - good SP maps/campaigns will have a story; offer challenges like puzzles to solve in order to progress; give players a chance to explore the environment; offer good design, sound, music, etc - everything needed to make for an enjoyable experience. They may take a long time to complete - an hour or two or more - the bigger campaigns will take days.

*Plus - most SP maps are intended to be played with oldskool and the weapons and other stuff in the map - so weapons won't respawn. They're also not intended to be played with regeneration mutators so no health or ammo regen - basically one plays with what's in the map and one's starting health, saving progress before/after significant battles to avoid being killed and having to start the map again. So they are intended also for one life (protected, in part, by frequently saving progress).

Of course, if you can't save progress, then you need to use a health regen but that needs to be set at the right kind of level, depending on the strength of the opponents encountered in the map, to make it challenging and interesting.

One last factor to take account of - in SP campaigns (more than one map) the player will carry all inventory + health + armour over to the next map. If you play campaign maps singly you will start with the basic DP and basic health and may not acquire another weapon for some time - this may present difficulities in dealing with enemies you may encounter and so reduce the enjoyment and playability of the map. This means a good deal of experimenting to find which maps work OK singly and which don't.
Good points, don’t think I can do anything for multi level progress through a server, or saves&loads for that matter, but is there a way to call a SP game through mapvote without using something like MH to handle the oldskool assets then? SP server like Red_Fist referenced earlier, it’s its own game type or am I thinking too hard about it? You can preset difficulty maybe then too similar to lives or spectators settings through the command lines? edit: I read a helpme file on single player and it seems they are opened through the open command in the console so they don't actually use a game type? I think I might still be interested in doing a one life one run game rule with sp maps if it's possible, as long as I can determine the difficulty and involve spectators. If that's not possible then I'll just experience them the way they were meant to be played alone.

also: anyone know what exactly I could edit to get MH504 & MH2Gold both to be selectable on my Practice Session menu but named differently?
bonus question: if I turn on friendly fire, is there a way to punish the killer's score?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Thing is, A MH map IS a SP style map, with goals, and a story.

But on pre-made SP maps, certain things will be broken in MH without making it a MH map first, or by converting it by editing the map. By not converting complex SP maps first, it might make it that a trigger won't work in MH, or some other thing and would make that SP map not work to the end, even after you edit the map. And lose all the work that went into the story line if certain doors don't work right, etc etc

That map up there would be a really good MH, but would be work to covert it, I don't think I dare to even build that map. BSP issues, and keeping the game-play the same, but for MH. :confused2:
Last edited by Red_Fist on Thu May 06, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning