MH-Wolf3D

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: MH-Wolf3D

Post by sektor2111 »

One of stock crushers was Berserker. Yeah I'm pointing term "was" because I did my job some years ago. Stock packages for games with Scriptedpawns, Bots, etc are not very stable. There are a lot of network instances where stock package have no business. Imagine how I locked my test server - I did not record a video due to technology used (not used more specific) in that time.
Map MH-KillThemAll - stage 1, first room.
Grabbing weapons and switching to "UT_Biorifle". AlternateFire load full charge. Moving to the room, pupae monsters start spawning. Release AltFire and press a key bound for "reconnect". I don't know if you can do this three times and server goes locked - probably depending on how many monsters were killed by a Null Instigator. Last lines were coming with some attitude blah blah Accessed None null content etc. and... K.O. More "entertaining" was firing that "Redeemer" from BPak doing some delayed damage with that Big Blue Ball... During this time Instigator was gone. And these can happen if connections are bad, having lags, malfunctions (display errors crushing player...), etc.
Such codes need fixed with "sleep" and some sanity checks not "copy-pasted". Copy-Paste for junks is only duplicating the disease not fixing it.

Perhaps DoomPawns don't have any "champion" code. What is about ? Let's say that pawn is the last one, he killed everything and now is alone - winner - in Level. For which reason should keep looking for enemies if it's alone, champion ? If Engine has a logic and works properly, it's not like games are stable due to these mindless bubbles. I think it's nasty if Engine is executing exactly what code pretends to be executed.