Fonts for Textures

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Fonts for Textures

Post by Barbie »

I want to add some Text on Textures, but because the letters are small, it is hardly readable. What fonts are best for such in your experience? Until now I have used 'Verdana Bold'.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Fonts for Textures

Post by Feralidragon »

I don't have any suggestions for specific fonts, but generally what I do when I want to get a good font for "something", I do a google search for "top free fonts X", where "X" is "video", "image", etc.

And thus far I always got really good fonts for my own stuff that way (not NW3, that's a bad example that precedes this way of looking up fonts, but for other things like video and images).

Searching for "game fonts" will yield very wild results, with very stylish fonts (maybe even fonts with "RGB" lol), so since you want something more "normal" and readable, I would personally go with trying to find good video fonts, since they tend to be optimized for videos of all qualities, meaning that they should be good enough to render on top of textures as well which also vary their quality depending on their resolution and distance from the player.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: Fonts for Textures

Post by Dr.Flay »

I assume you are saying you want a recommendation on the smallest readable fonts.
Many of the old OSs default fonts may work, or monospace fonts like trusty old courier.
MS Shell Dlg 2 is very readable at small size