-= The UT99.org 2021 Mapping Contest =-

General Announcements about Unreal Tournament and UT99.org
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: -= The UT99.org 2021 Mapping Contest =-

Post by Red_Fist »

"bots seemed confused towards the end of a five minute match, they couldn't decide whether to suicide or just let me kill them."

I was just amazed getting them up to the top level, total disaster map for bots-pathing. I should rename the map to DM-liftexit, LoL
Binary Space Partitioning
Berserker
Experienced

Post by Berserker »

Visit us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/fcRakgNCjR Image
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

Berserker wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:18 pm
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

DM-NRMC-Vakiton
Yes, very nicely done map - a very clean and bright feel to it, certainly evokes a modern but now converted factory area - very much a unique space enhanced by the very detailed office areas and the external surroundings (rare that someone creates such detailed but unreachable areas outside the playable area - are you going to do a version that opens the doors to the offices and the outside? :P)

A few comments - more in the way of general observations than anything else

1 Interested that there is (as far as I could see) no direct connection between the second level and the top level (there are connections between the ground floor and the second level and between the ground floor and the top level). Just wondered what the thinking was here?
2 The trap buttons are obvious but the trap itself isn't - do you think it will get many victims or is that not a major objective? (I had to look in the editor to find it).
3 Curious about this area here
Spoiler
Shot00508.png
[~]RUFX[~]RoninMastaFX
Experienced
Personal rank: UT Veteran & Mapper

Post by [~]RUFX[~]RoninMastaFX »

Thank you very much OjitroC for your comments. :)

1) This was intentional. There are some who will (strongly) disagree with me on this, but I focused on "less ramps, more use of elevator jumps". As an example, the ramp going to the third floor almost didn't make the cut early on, it was going to be the second first-third floor elevator, but the flow ended up being ass so I made it a ramp and moved the elevator to the room where the Ripper is.

2) That secret room is a tribute to my friend who passed away from complications due to COVID, but early tests showed that campers can easily just "set up camp" up there, protecting their view but everyone else exposed, so I added the trap above (discreetly) with 2 buttons to shoot at -- one button in 2 rooms -- to kill said camper(s) instantly.

3) That Freight Elevator is non-functional in the DeathMatch build, in the MonsterHunt build there will be a basement to go into to kill the boss, and you use the Freight Elevator to get down there and activate a new spawn point. (So to anyone who wants to make an MH version of Vakiton, one is going to be made (it's in the planning stages and will be based from the DM build), and it will have a fully accessible outside and (fully accessible) offices.)

If anything I wrote was not clear, let me know and I'll explain clearer the next time. :)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

[~]RUFX[~]RoninMastaFX wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:22 pm
If anything I wrote was not clear, let me know and I'll explain clearer the next time. :)
That's all very clear, thanks for the response. Good luck in the contest :)

Look forward to the MH version.
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

[~]RUFX[~]RoninMastaFX wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:30 am I just published my map, Vakiton Factory, to the contest. The map screenshots are in the other thread. I hope you all enjoy it! :tu:
I haven't had a chance to sit down and play this but I did do a quick walk-through: It's very clean and neat looking and has nice flow to it! I like all the detail work you did outside of the play area to add to the immersiveness of the environment.

I have one strictly cosmetic suggestion, and that is to play with the lighting. Right now the lighting is one hue and very uniform, which makes the visuals look a little flat. Pehaps playing with light brightness and color, or using spotlights in places to create shadow for more visual depth (but again this a strictly minor, cosmetic suggestion).

Nicely done!
[~]RUFX[~]RoninMastaFX
Experienced

Thank you Fudgonaut for your suggestion! :) I have to admit, I'm not the best with lighting (it's a well known weakspot of mine), so it shows in the map.
DavidLightman
Novice

Post by DavidLightman »

Hey gang,

I just posted my map Super Mario Bros.
I suck at screenshots but they are in the post.
I hope you all enjoy it. :thuup:

David
This message has been sent with approval of the robot overlord. :help:
This message may have been redacted; spelling errors and/or confusing language may result.
[~]RUFX[~]RoninMastaFX
Experienced

Hi everyone! I just thought I'd post a quick update to Vakiton. There have been reports including from yours truly that on certain configurations, the map would have major issues making it unplayable (this was prevalent with 436 especially). The cause was due to to the outside which caused an error that Hourences described as a "Massive Occlusion Error". The "No Outside" edition of the map removes the offices and the outside, so the map is playable with these configurations. The links have been updated to reflect this. I have left the original version of the map for those who wish to play it (and you should if it works on your system, unless you prefer no fou-fou :wink: ). Thanks everyone for your understanding! :)
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

"There are some who will (strongly) disagree with me on this, but I focused on "less ramps,"

I strongly disagree that you that you assume we-I strongly disagree. :loool:

My approach is to NOT go along with ANY "thing", (the crowd) even if it worked, or not worked, but still an asset for Human creativity.

In my opinion , and others is, maps that have a lifted floor tile and ramps all over the place, get praise.

We were joking once about , "ya lets play, meet me by the ramp" LoLzzz
So you are good, I have not played any levels yet.
I think it will be a pretty bizarre but real, map-pack this time, with thought out maps, refined but weird. hell ya! :noidea
Berserker
Experienced

Post by Berserker »

Does the contest end in 19 hours? Map is 95% complete, but I don't think I can finish it in time, but that's ok ;)
Visit us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/fcRakgNCjR Image
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

I updated my map, please get the latest version from the release thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14845&p=131872#p131872

the `-r3` version is the final version for the contest.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Berserker wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:40 am Does the contest end in 19 hours? Map is 95% complete, but I don't think I can finish it in time, but that's ok ;)
For contest entries, yes, however we'll be accepting Bonus Maps till the 24th :)
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:29 am
Berserker wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:40 am Does the contest end in 19 hours? Map is 95% complete, but I don't think I can finish it in time, but that's ok ;)
For contest entries, yes, however we'll be accepting Bonus Maps till the 24th :)
NOW,,,,,,, you tell me, those poor Nali waiting, dyeing, fighting, Lol,

I have an idea, but need time to see if it works first, stock actors..