Easiest way to have two separate installs?

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
waxgoat
Novice

Easiest way to have two separate installs?

Post by waxgoat »

Greeting everyone,
First of all I apologize if this is a duplicate post, and sadly I'm almost certain it is. :(

Either way- my skills using the search fxn here probably aren't the best. I was wondering the easiest way to have two separate installs of UT. Say a copy of 436 with added mods to mess around with and also a "clean" copy of 469. I've tried everything that seems obvious (installing on separate drives, copying folders, etc..). I'd like the end result to be two separate shortcuts that launch either version on the game.

Again, I apologize if this is a dupe post and thanks for any input. Cheers! :D
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Easiest way to have two separate installs?

Post by Barbie »

Didn't work it just making a copy of the installation into another folder?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Barbie wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:12 pm Didn't work it just making a copy of the installation into another folder?
Exactly. And...never install on the Windows Program Files folder. Always install on the root, example C:\UnrealTournament and C:\UnrealTournament436, or something similar. Preferably no spaces on the folder names.
EDIT: Wait...did you mean create shortcut for each directory? Did you right click on the desktop for the menu? What OS are you using?
waxgoat
Novice

Post by waxgoat »

Ughh. Easy fix. When I initially copied the installation, the executable was still targeted to the original location, instead of the new one. :oops: I also kept it on the root and got rid of any spaces.

I appreciate it, guys. Now I can launch separate renderers without having to switch them each time. Thanks for the help. :tu:
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Yep :)
There are no registry keys etc tied to a UT installation, which makes it a "portable" game.
You can therefor make copies and backup your root folder unlimited.

Also always handy to have a clean one zipped up for testing purposes etc :)
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

In order to keep a clean installation I also split off stock files from user created by putting them into a sub folder "3rd". You also have to tell it the engine by adding these additional paths in UnrealTournament.ini:
UnrealTournament.ini wrote:[Core.System]
Paths=../System/*.u
Paths=../Maps/*.unr
Paths=../Textures/*.utx
Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../Music/*.umx
;-------------------
Paths=../System/3rd/*.u
Paths=../Maps/3rd/*.unr
Paths=../Textures/3rd/*.utx
Paths=../Sounds/3rd/*.uax
Paths=../Music/3rd/*.umx
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
NemesisNeS
Experienced
Personal rank: GOD, not Godlike

Post by NemesisNeS »

Barbie wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:43 am In order to keep a clean installation I also split off stock files from user created by putting them into a sub folder "3rd". You also have to tell it the engine by adding these additional paths in UnrealTournament.ini:
Paths=../System/*.u
Paths=../Maps/*.unr
Paths=../Textures/*.utx
Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../Music/*.umx
;-------------------
Paths=../System/3rd/*.u
Paths=../Maps/3rd/*.unr
Paths=../Music/3rd/*.umx

Now this is a trick I used to use back in the early days of running a private server and lan parties. Man I can't believe I was the only one that used this trick. Thanks for the reminder btw. I have been meaning to run a separate install just to test mods without compromising the original install base.

Also, it is good practice to always install games directly to the root. Even with a ton of games that wish to try to install elsewhere or by default to program files or app data (Windows 10 and 11). Not sure about Mac users or Linux users but you should still make it a practice to install your games to the root. If you have a portable HDD or in my case a couple of MicroSD cards lying around, you could install and run UT and most any other game directly from them independantly. Technology has given us far too many outlets to utilize. :loool: Anyway, happy gaming, I gotta test/crash my work-in-progress private server, which I'll be sending invites to once I have it fully operational.
Feeling the urge to kill people who put up links with advertisements....
:instagib2:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I've had 2 separate installs for years. I still have my original install and I have the more recent one I got from Unreal Anthology.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Barbie wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:43 am In order to keep a clean installation I also split off stock files from user created by putting them into a sub folder "3rd". You also have to tell it the engine by adding these additional paths in UnrealTournament.ini:
Paths=../System/*.u
Paths=../Maps/*.unr
Paths=../Textures/*.utx
Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../Music/*.umx
;-------------------
Paths=../System/3rd/*.u
Paths=../Maps/3rd/*.unr
Paths=../Music/3rd/*.umx
Good, but better do opposite: original files store in "orig" subfolders.
Originals never changed. So better store them in subfolder. it is make much more easier install any custom map.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I should have known this years ago ...now I have a scrambled UT instal ...it's running fine but I can't distinguish most of the new stuff from the default until I have opened it in UEd.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

You can make subfolders and copy default stuff here by well known lists. Even on this forum exists topic with default files list.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

If it comes to a "separate" install, for me things are more simple than expected. Select all Install folder, Copy, browse another drive/folder - Paste... Done. This game doesn't need special settings - except shortcuts... If computer user has knowledge about basic tasks concerning handling files this sort of task doesn't need special Science - it's not a subject for being solved using a forum.
This way are doable multiple copies:
Copy #1 - it will be updated to version 440.
Copy #2 - it will be updated to version 451b.
Copy #3 - it will be update to version 469 whatever.
Copy #X - dedicated for modding/coding/mapping having another stock adjusted for various compilations
etc
It's really that simple.
Another way is having one of copies MIXED for multiple usage and sharing the same Maps/Coding resources, all except System...
MixedVersion.PNG
MixedVersion.PNG (7.25 KiB) Viewed 804 times
Inside UT folder can be other folders for temporary tasks named in the way you need... or even another way, making you to forget them over there and keeping useless files taking space for no purpose.
waxgoat
Novice

Post by waxgoat »

Very clean way of organizing things, Sektor. Things have become a jumbled mess for me over the years with various mods, textures, maps, etc..
I've got it all straightened out now thankfully. I hadn't thought of just simply duping the System folder. Thanks for the heads up. :lol2:
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »

I still have 3 installs on my PC.
1 for server.
1 for playing.
1 for testing and aliases... :rock:
waxgoat
Novice

Post by waxgoat »

Ohh yeahh... 8)
1 436 with Dx9
1 469b with xOgl and HD textures
AND of course one to break. :D

But I was just curious how people kept things sorted. Definitely some good tips here as I mainly play offline running different maps and whatnot. I appreciate all the feedback.