Unreal Tournament 3 and Xbox Series controller issues

Discussions about everything else
JimmyCognitti

Unreal Tournament 3 and Xbox Series controller issues

Post by JimmyCognitti »

Since this is about UT3 I guess it's off-topic.
Thing is, UT3 just goes crazy when my Xbox Series controller is on, it goes up and down in-game and/or spins around, it just won't work with the controller no matter what (the game did use to work perfectly with the old X360 and One controllers though). I already tried a fresh install of the game with no luck.
FYI, I tried other Unreal Engine 3 powered games and they also have issues with this controller (Singularity, MoH Airborne, Outlast 2), they all go totally crazy.

However, this controller does work just fine with other games that are powered by different engines: Crysis 2, Crysis 3, Source games (HL2, Episodes, Portal, Black Mesa...), Dying Light, Quake remastered, Dusk (and many more), all of these games work perfectly with the Xbox Series controller.

Is there any fix for UT3 so it can work with the Series controller?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Unreal Tournament 3 and Xbox Series controller issues

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Is this with the Steam version? You might have to go through the Steam settings. Could also use the Joy2Key program and reasign your own setup.
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

Unfortunately for whatever reason (judging from your report) this new controller just doesn't work at all with Unreal Engine 3. Period.

Now, while it is _very_ possible that using Steam's controller settings (JoyToKey won't help, trust me...) or more complicated programs such as x360ce which make controllers pretend they're something else could fix the problem...

Question is, why? Get a compatible controller and switch to that one for the games in question.
JimmyCognitti

Post by JimmyCognitti »

Delacroix wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:45 am Get a compatible controller and switch to that one for the games in question.
Yup, that seems to be the only solution so far.

EDIT: Thanks for replying, guys.
JimmyCognitti

Post by JimmyCognitti »

A little heads-up (in case someone cares),
Turns out older games (like all UE3 powered games) don't seem to like the bluetooth connection of the new Xbox Series controller, but if you connect the controller using a USB-C cable (wired) they will work again perfectly.
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

Well, I certainly care. I'll never know when and if I'll end up with one of these. Glad to know at least, that my penchant for keeping things always connected by cables will help me avoid any problems entirely.
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

My suggestion is download Joy2Key and/or XPadder and emulate mouse/keyboard inputs. That is what I do for UT99.
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File