[Idea for mutator] Health/ArmorBar over players.

Discussions about everything else
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Re: [Idea for mutator] Health/ArmorBar over players.

Post by SilverSound »

Something like this could also be made to work with Monsters. I've always hated the small text numbers servers have but it would look amazing if this was used instead.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Delacroix wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:30 am I think a "layered" bar would do nicely. Mass Effect style. Shieldbelt, Powershield and the like, completely blocking all damage - blue bar. Armors - orange. And health bars... hm, the mod should check max health (usually 100) and upon having more, another lifebar with a different tint of red would appear over the main one.
Imo layered bars get cluttered fast. My dude, you have an entire Cartesian plane at the palm of your hands, and you're content with bunched up little rectangles that make dyslexic players get fragged more often? Be more geometric about it, use concentric rings or something!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

I didn't see such layered bars cluttered in the source of inspiration - Mass Effect 2 and 3. Neither did I see any dyslexic players complaining about it. So it's safe to say your argument doesn't hold water at all.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Yes, but this isn't Mass Effect. Consider that players are going to be moving around and possibly 'fly' across the screen (particularly e.g. in close quarters combat) – not a lot of time or focus to see the bars of your teammates around you.

More than anything else, this kind of display must provide information as instantly as possible. You should be able to tell one's status at a glance.

Anyway, I just had another idea. What if the health bar was actually a circle, which was filled at 100%, but then gradually hollowed out as more damage is taken? Then armour could be seen as a tint on the colour of the circle (representing damage resistance, rather than 'extra health'), and the shield belt would be a thick, but hollow square, around the circle, that gradually thins and rounds down into the circle's shape, until it vanishes. :o

Here is a quick and dirty mockup I whipped up in GIMP. Rows are, from top to bottom, unarmoured, armoured, and shielded (i.e. Shield Belt). Columns represent progressive damage taken.
Attachments
UT health circles mockup.png
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction