Any known tool for convert UT2004 terrain to brush?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Buggie
Godlike

Any known tool for convert UT2004 terrain to brush?

Post by Buggie »

Is exists any tool which allow convert UT2004 terrain to usual brush?

I want try convert some UT2004 maps to UT99, but terrain look like exists on different level.

I try use source heightmap from UT2004 map in Nem's Mega 3D Terrain Generator, but result very different from which generate UT2004.

Automatically merged

I found way.
Hide all actors except TerrainInfo.
Use 3D Ripper DX for get obj.
Obj import as static mesh into Unreal 227i.
Place static mesh on map.
Convert mesh to brush.
Brush copy to UT99 UnrealEd.

But most of this terrains too detailed for brushes. So you not able built map after that.
Possible need use some 3d tools for simplify terrain.

But look like better export source height map to proper BMP (2k4 UnrealEd not able do this) and use it in any terrain generator for get some low poly bsp terrain which need adjust later.

Anyway a lot of work and a lot of time need here.
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Re: Any known tool for convert UT2004 terrain to brush?

Post by Delacroix »

I definitely am interested in this as well. I am particularly interested in, possibly most faithful possible, port of ONS-Dria into UT99. Any game mode, as long as map looks as close to original as possible.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

ONS-Dria so big, so even in UnrealEd it start disappear in wireframe mode.
scr_1648156934.jpg
But with this polycount for terrain you can forget about any import it, at least without huge simplification via some 3D soft.
Possible better export height map and generate from it simple BSP terrain in some tool.

Or you can use DX ripper as above. And use .obj file in some 3d soft for try reduce complexity and save general shape.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Marco make such tool recently:
https://www.oldunreal.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=10455
This is a simplistic tool to export a UE2 terrain (only tested with UT2004) geometry as OBJ file, which can be used in 227.

To configure it, you can tweak Config.ini (sections are named as <Mapname>_<TerrainInfo object name>) to adjust U/V map tiling scale.
After that you only need to either drag and drop an .ut2 map file to the UE2TerrainExp.exe file (or run UE2TerrainExp.exe ..\Steam\steamapps\common\Unreal Tournament 2004\maps\DM-DesertIsle.ut2 for example as shortcut or batch script).

It will create <Mapname>_<TerrainInfo object name>.obj files at your exe path, which can then be imported in 227 editor. If you wish to use exact position as in UE2 level, just copy over Location from the original level to the newly added terrain static mesh Location.
Too bad 227 doesn't support texture blending yet so can't have that same nice transition between multiple materials (you can use another software though to tweak the terrain obj file to make some nicer texture transitions). But this tool only exports the terrain as a single material yet.

Download from here: http://www.klankaos.com/downloads/UE2Te ... porter.zip
Backup copy:
UE2TerrainExporter.zip
(115 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
How use:
1. Drop ut2 map into it.
2. Load obj as legacy obj in blender.
3. Apply modifier Decimate for simplify it.
4. Export as legacy obj.
5. Load obj as brush into UnrealEd 469.

Texture data need set manually.

Example of such work:
CTF-XV-SummerVillages
CTF-XV-ClockTowers
CTF-XV-TheGrandCanyon
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

They invented terrain because everything else didn't work.

A better Idea is give me a terrain tool(s) in UT, would solve the problem.
Ones that make it easier than the way we see each damn segment and edit each damn vertex.

We need a raise and lower and paint and import bitmap tool for UT. The BSP isn't that bad so at least not editing every damn dot, that is hard to see and find.

Those terrain's in UT 2004 are a whole program, in and of itself, like a separate module.

I would love to import a terrain and have it work, or at least build in a terraedit, type tool and other tools.
Binary Space Partitioning