GPF when using DoomPawns

Discussions about UT99
OjitroC
Godlike

GPF when using DoomPawns

Post by OjitroC »

I have a curious error when starting a map in which I have placed ScriptedPawns from the DoomPawns.u created by Dots (for those interested they can be found here DoomPawns.7z).

This is the error

Code: Select all

Critical: FWaveModInfo::ReadWaveInfo
Critical: FSoundData::GetPeriod
Critical: FSoundData::Load
Critical: TLazyArray<<
Critical: USound::Serialize
Critical: LoadObject
Critical: (Sound DoomPawns.cacodemon.DSCACDTH 5185329==5185329/9154665 5185323 10411)
Critical: ULinkerLoad::Preload
Critical: PreLoadObjects
Critical: UObject::EndLoad
Critical: UObject::StaticLoadObject
Critical: (Engine.Level None.MyLevel MH-AHellDayFinalDoom.unr)
Critical: LoadLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::LoadMap
Critical: LocalMapURL
Critical: UGameEngine::Browse
Critical: ClientTravel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
The error is curious because (a) the sounds from that .u can be played in the Editor without an issue; (b) the ScriptedPawns can be summoned into a map, again without an issue (I summoned each 'monster type' individually into a map in order to test them before proceeding with placing them en masse in a 'modified' version of SP-AHellDay; and (c) most curious of all, the map with DoomPawns placed en masse can be played from the Editor without issue.

My question is : why should they crash the game when starting a map normally from the game menu but not crash it when the map is played (as autoplay.unr) from the Editor?

The issue is not to do with the map I used - it plays fine as a SP map and as a MH map with additional ScriptedPawns generated by Buggie's MHGen tool. In addition I get the same crash when trying to start a different map in which i have placed a few cacodemons from DoomPawns.

In passing I would note that the DoomPawns only work in 469b - I did try them in the past in 436 and they didn't work. Though they appear to be for Unreal, they do appear to work in UT469b (up to a point anyway).
Buggie
Godlike

Re: GPF when using DoomPawns

Post by Buggie »

Because used ported wav sounds.
https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... issues/512
> couldn't handle the fact that the wav files in this package don't have sample chunks.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still curious as to why (a) the sounds play in the Editor; (b) I can summon the Cacodemon without an issue and (b) the map runs fine when played from the Editor?

I exported a few sounds from DoomPawns including the cacodemon sounds and checked the codec - it seems to be that Sound DoomPawns.cacodemon.DSCACDTH is not mono - I converted it to the codec I normally use for voices/sounds in UT and imported it into DoomPawns and the map loaded fine from the game (I presume that were there problems with other sounds that the map would crash with the same error but with a different sound as the cause of the error).

The other map in which I had placed just 3 Cacodeomons and which had previously crashed also ran fine when started from the game menu.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Not sure, but IIRC this crash happen only on some audio render. Maybe in Editor used another.

Automatically merged

Also if this crash related to work with uninitialized memory, then play in Editor, run from Editor can cause different memory layout, so game read trash, but from exists memory area. Instead of try read from uninitialized memory, which is immediately cause crash. Also if this true and ASLR work, crash can happen randomly.