SOLVED: Failure installing XC_Engine version 25b for UT v469b

fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

SOLVED: Failure installing XC_Engine version 25b for UT v469b

Post by fudgonaut »

My laptop drive died. On my new drive I'm rebuilding my UT99 setup, using Using GOG's UT99 GotY, with bonus pack 4 and 469b installed.

For editing, I want to include the XC Engine because of handy tools, especially Level Cleanup.

Prior to trying to set up the XC_Engine 25b, editor and game are running fine. I follow the XC instructions as best as I can understand:
readme.txt wrote:Place XC_Engine files in your ~UT/System/ directory.
- completed
readme.txt wrote:Run XC_Enable.bat/XC_Enable_nohome.sh scripts in order to auto-config XC_Engine stuff
The scripts will enable the engine, net driver and editor addons.
I ran the .bat file as administrator using cmd.exe and I get the following error message:
cmd.jpg
cmd.jpg (11.39 KiB) Viewed 606 times

So I tried running the .bat file as administrator using PowerShell and I got the following message:
powershell.jpg
powershell.jpg (32.32 KiB) Viewed 606 times
I looked and XC_Setup.u is right there in my \System folder.

readme.txt wrote:In case the above fails, or a different setup is needed, follow these steps.
The new GameEngine we want to load has to be specified in UnrealTournament.ini (or it's server equivalent) as follows.

[Engine.Engine]
;GameEngine=Engine.GameEngine
GameEngine=XC_Engine.XC_GameEngine
;NetworkDevice=IpDrv.TcpNetDriver
NetworkDevice=XC_IpDrv.XC_TcpNetDriver
- Since the above fails, I made the changes to my UnrealTournament.ini and the result is:

When I run the editor I get the following:
UEd.jpg
Which is incorrect because XC_EditorAdds.u is right there in my \System folder

When I run the game I get the following:
ut99.jpg

I looked for more information
readme.txt wrote:See "XC_Setup.txt" for more info.
XC_Setup.txt does not exist in the file XC_Engine_Full_25b.7z,
I assume this means the Readme.txt file in the Documentation folder of the .7z file? Perhaps the installation documentation needs to be revised/updated?

Please help. Prior to my laptop crashing I had four maps in progress. Three still work. The fourth map loads in the editor, but it freezes in precaching when I try to run the map.
prechache.jpg
I'm hoping a useful Level Cleanup using the XC editor tools might help. I put many, many hours into this map and it would be a tragedy if I could not recover it...

Either way, I'd really like to get the XC editor addons working. Can aynone help?
Last edited by fudgonaut on Fri May 27, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Failure installing XC_Engine version 25b for UT v469b

Post by OjitroC »

Can't really help beyond saying that that's not the 469b Editor that is running in your screenshot of the Editor startup - should be UnrealEd 2.2 (OldUnreal Edition).

Perhaps the space in the directory name (between Unreal and Tournament) makes a difference?
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

OjitroC wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:57 pm Can't really help beyond saying that that's not the 469b Editor that is running in your screenshot of the Editor startup - should be UnrealEd 2.2 (OldUnreal Edition).
Good catch, you're a life-saver! I must have inadvertently interrupted the 469b patching process or something, during my rush to restore everything on my laptop.

I re-installed the 469b patch and was able to instal XC 25b properly. Now that fourth map loads when I launch it through UnrealEd.

Although I am getting this error when I quit the game after running the map:
error.jpg
error.jpg (44.99 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Anybody have an idea if this error is an XC issue?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I don't think I had a Critical Error with that but ... I had stuff in the log about errors so it looks like I removed Udemo (ini/int/u) from my system folder leaving just the .dll there and the errors/warnings stopped. I say 'looks like' 'cos I don't recall exactly but the files I mention are certainly in my backup folder. You could try doing the same and see what happens.

I don't make demos of course so not having it working doesn't matter to me.
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

OjitroC wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:54 pm I had stuff in the log about errors so it looks like I removed Udemo (ini/int/u) from my system folder leaving just the .dll there and the errors/warnings stopped.
I don't make demos either, this method eliminated the error.

My UT99 is back to its prior state, all issues appear to be resolved. Now I can start those fifth and sixth maps.

Thanks again!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: SOLVED: Failure installing XC_Engine version 25b for UT v469b

Post by OjitroC »

That's good - anticipating the new maps - looking good from the screenshots :tu: