Re: 25th Anniversary of Unreal Tournament

Post by gamerz31w »

I was unable to play Unreal Tournament.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

gamerz31w wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:57 pm I was unable to play Unreal Tournament.
ok seriously, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO with a discussion about the coming 25th Anniversary of UT.
Stay on Topic please and stop derailing threads.

Automatically merged

Neon_Knight wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:40 pm Well, strictly speaking of UT99:

- Modernizing maps. (But not the usual ones, pick more risky options such as DM-Peak or CTF-Cybrosis][).
- Modernizing beta content (we could do well with a modernized Beta Liandri).

If only I could get some of my motivation back. 😫

EDIT: Oops... I got ninja'd by papercoffee.
But I like that we have the same idea ;)
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

Shrimp wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:39 amTwo weeks!
LOL!
reference.png
reference.png (91.83 KiB) Viewed 510 times
papercoffee wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:10 pm And with new textures.
I am a texture freak, having collected quality seamless textures from various sources over the past few years, somewhere in the order of 13gb. I'm happy to share, or help create/customize textures if needed.
papercoffee wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:10 pm I mean we could make a revamp mappack... with lesser known/remaked maps (that means no Face and Deck or Morbias).
But we should then assign one map to one mapper to avoid to end up with 5 versions of Morpheus.
I made a spreadsheet which lists (for now) all official maps. If people think it would useful, maybe someone can put it on Google Docs?

I have to say that I am extremely gratified that folks are showing such interest in this.

EDIT: I forgot that I also have 50-ish decent music tracks from Mod Archive to add another layer of freshness to maps. Let me tell you, finding usable tracks there is like finding a needle in a haystack.

The one thing that I don't have, sadly, is any decent fragging skills. I used to be good at this game. 20 years ago :lol2:
Attachments
UT99.org 25th Anniversary Project.xlsx
(22.19 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Pikko
Skilled
Personal rank: Old ClanMan

Post by Pikko »

Maybe i could take a peek at DM Malevolence.. ;-)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I thought I wrote that I would take Curse and change it a little bit into an industrial design.
Somehow I must have forgotten to hit the post button :| strange
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Bishop Jazz JackRabbit style? Anyone? No?
JJRStyle.jpg
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:34 am Jazz JackRabbit style?
for the love of all that's holy, do not mention that game :lol2:
papercoffee wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:21 am I thought I wrote that I would take Curse and change it a little bit into an industrial design.
I need to figure out where/how to host textures, so people can peruse my collection for their mapping needs. Probably have 750-1000 textures that would fall under the category 'industrial.'

I'll probably turn the spreadsheet into a Google sheet so there's a centralized place people can view & edit it
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

A less sucky version of CTF-Darji16, lol!
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
fudgonaut
Adept

Post by fudgonaut »

Neon_Knight wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:48 am A less sucky version of CTF-Darji16, lol!
:lol2: That map is a nightmare. I don't know if it can be redeemed!

I have turned the excel into a Google sheet. PM me if you want to participate and have access to the spreadsheet
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

I'm happy to tackle both Stalwart maps and Guardia.
Signature goes here.
gamerz31w
Average

Post by gamerz31w »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:34 am Bishop Jazz JackRabbit style? Anyone? No?
JJRStyle.jpg
Yeah it reminds me of JBasement.unr map.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

gamerz31w wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:47 am Yeah it reminds me of JBasement.unr map.
It's DM-Bishop (a default UT map) retextured with some textures from the JazzyTextures packs.
gamerz31w
Average

Post by gamerz31w »

I still cannot figure out how to swap or add new character skins from Jazz Jackrabbit 3D into original Unreal Tournament. Anyway I did the same in Unreal Tournament 4.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

When I first saw the title of this topic I thought "damn, is the game already 25 years old?", but then I made the math and started to wonder why we're talking about this 2+ years prior, seems a bit premature.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why you may want to anticipate this and start working on something, but then again, 2 years is actually a long long time, and maybe I am being a pessimist, but I am quite sure that most people may only do something about it maybe 6 months to a year before the actual anniversary, whereas most projects being suggested here are likely to never see the light of day.

To put in perspective, there's enough time for 2 new patches to be released in the meanwhile with new features, namely a v469d and v469e, maybe even a v470.
That's also close to the time interval from when COVID first started until now.

So while it's great to see this being discussed and people volunteering, it seems a bit premature, and I don't see many people being able to stick with the plan for that long.
But hey, it's in situations like these I like being proven wrong, so who knows... :)
fudgonaut wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:48 am
Too late, check above. :lol2:
The guy couldn't resist the calling, and the first post was OK, but the second of course veered completely into off-topic again.

It's like saying "Voldemort", he hears it and knows where you are. :wtf:
gamerz31w
Average

Post by gamerz31w »

Feralidragon wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:41 am When I first saw the title of this topic I thought "damn, is the game already 25 years old?", but then I made the math and started to wonder why we're talking about this 2+ years prior, seems a bit premature.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why you may want to anticipate this and start working on something, but then again, 2 years is actually a long long time, and maybe I am being a pessimist, but I am quite sure that most people may only do something about it maybe 6 months to a year before the actual anniversary, whereas most projects being suggested here are likely to never see the light of day.

To put in perspective, there's enough time for 2 new patches to be released in the meanwhile with new features, namely a v469d and v469e, maybe even a v470.
That's also close to the time interval from when COVID first started until now.

So while it's great to see this being discussed and people volunteering, it seems a bit premature, and I don't see many people being able to stick with the plan for that long.
But hey, it's in situations like these I like being proven wrong, so who knows... :)
fudgonaut wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:48 am
Too late, check above. :lol2:
The guy couldn't resist the calling, and the first post was OK, but the second of course veered completely into off-topic again.

It's like saying "Voldemort", he hears it and knows where you are. :wtf:
Are you talking about Fudgonaut,Qjitro or rather me?