New Beta of UT

Discussions about UT99
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

New Beta of UT

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Hi,

A new beta of UT was found recently. It was actually an old leak that got re-discovered. I'm waiting until gamesharder makes a full post about it with everything mostly, I did not have time to play it myself but somebody is making videos at the moment and it is really exciting. It is not unfortunately a beta that will show the intermediate and better flakcannon that was once developed, however this is right after the unreal add-on phase and still is mostly it. It is version 221. It doesn't run the maps by default you will need to setup paths to the 222 beta or so or copy files over as it is lacking textures. It is newer than the version reviewed by dan toose and already has ut male soldiers in it too. It has a new ripper model too, otherwise all the weapons have unreal models still, except for the translocator/redeemer/impacthammer/chainsaw/pulsegun but those were already developed for the addon. It has an unused ut health pickup that is a crystal with the plus symbol in it.

There are several maps never seen in Unreal or UT before and some of them come from the developement of the epic singleplayer level pack, but converted/adjusted to DM. dm twilight is also in its original before fusion pack form, as that map came from UT and not the other way around.

Frigate was also present in deathmatch only version not just assault btw and is a little bit different. Unreal textures are still mostly everywhere but already some effort was made to introduce new ut ones, so its not so unreal-like like some even earlier screenshots show. Some maps are missing like Rook, which around the time had skaarj statues and some extra geometry but we only saw this on an old screenshot.

There is a map that is a combination of like dmhealpod and dmsplash, well not exactly but contains features from both which makes me think that dave ewing probably made splash apart from other cut unreal maps and not Inoxx. Inoxx told me he didn't remember making splash, there was another cut dm level he made instead that had a different name and that was Ketzen. Ewing made a lot of maps and I think even for original Unreal just we never saw them. I know that some packs/conversions credit Inoxx for Splash but it is incorrect, the original map had no credit assigned, just like Nexus, which was actually by Inoxx (and not cliff like .:..: thought).

The beta also features that voice over found in the 222 beta files, this time with scrolling text over the rotating u logo, so no cityintro shenanigans but this instead...

and it features an interlude from a miner and also xan kriegor himself, at this point not robotic at all, just sounding all human.

And it is all very OW THE EDGE too.

Automatically merged

Btw there is a map called DM-NaliAirForce (really), but it is an early version of a map appearing in the released UT. Can you guess what map it is??
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: New Beta of UT

Post by EvilGrins »

Screenshots?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

GamesHarder has taken some nice ones, just wait for him to publish them soon, I don't want to be posting his own screenshots yet until he has them all/thinks its enough.

He did announce the beta on OU. Either way, what map do you think became DM-NaliAirForce?

EDIT:
As for the map I mentioned it made me remember how I played that long lost beta from 1998, which had healpod already but there were some differences like it wasn't a full piston but instead more of a lift, like here, but unlike here it would not just get you to top floor but to some secret area afaik. Its weird though but it seems a lot of those maps especially the ones that ended up being cut took a lot of inspiration from some earlier unreal stuff.

Twilight is also more robust and contains so many new secret passages and it all feels like, together with levels Reactor and Keep, that it was a singleplayer material at one point. Reactor even has some "mover puzzles" and doesn't contain much of way of weapons at all, its yet another "Foundry" like level but this was before UPak was released and when it wasn't certain whether they'd even use Foundry there in the first place. But it is not made by Cliff, instead Jeremy War made the level. But it fits right it into Unreal, I believe no new texture is even used on this one, clearly Level Pack material that they tried to convert to DM but obviously failed. It has some elaborate mover work really. Even for an Unreal DM level this was way too complex. But they didn't necesarily need to dumb down UT for casual audiences like they did. I am not saying everything beta is 100 percent better, I do prefer the pace of the release version over say the big 222 leaked version, but I do feel that as the release date got delayed twice over (with two magazines reviewing versions close to those two leaks, being told the game was almost ready to ship), it also means that it lost a lot of its former soul.

And seeing those definitely Unreal levels in it, makes me truly wish they didn't abandon the singleplayer level pack at all (after all even shanechurch was part of it at some point all the way back in late 1997, then reintroduced after the 222 beta to botpack again as they still had that laying around, with Shane reusing brushes from his singleplayer level and turning it into dm gothic).

In the end UT ended up having a lot of scrapped and ideas for all kind of projects that never made it through, so it did become kind of a kitchen sink(and the same kind of repeated for ut2004). But still...

Automatically merged

https://www.oldunreal.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 49&t=10449

is the thread I'll refer to, though I expected the download be provided separately. If you want a separate download instead of that whole cd thing, send me pm or something.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Pretty huge news! Glad it's finally been found. Wish I could try it out sooner but quick glance of the video in that thread already showed me some interesting bits of what could've been, even DM-Fractal looks a little different than what I remember was in the other Beta versions, kinda like how it looks here.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Wow, I wish they kept the "the hours are long..." quote for the retail game. You know, start the game all dark with that speech. "It is enough to make you wanna kill somebody!!!" And then lights on, the fly by, dadadan...dadadan...dadadadan..."In 2291...". :rock:
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

TankBeef wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:29 pm Wow, I wish they kept the "the hours are long..." quote for the retail game. You know, start the game all dark with that speech. "It is enough to make you wanna kill somebody!!!" And then lights on, the fly by, dadadan...dadadan...dadadadan..."In 2291...". :rock:
I took time to ask Inoxx some questions, the answers I posted in the ou thread, it is interesting to think that metaldream was even more complex than in the 222 version and had a spaceship on the bottom even. It would have been cool but perhaps more fitting sp or assault level than DOM.

But yea...that speech, it was in the "known beta" files before, just not used btw.

So I heard it before already. But yea it could have been that but it might have also been too "edgy" for some people lol.

Maybe someone really should make "Hunt Down the Prisoner 849" and outside of just a parody fanfic, maybe as a parody mod instead or as machinima.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I posted extracted resources and a little extra on the OU thread, go check it out.
mister_prophet
Average

Post by mister_prophet »

You're the man, Leo!
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

More updates and fixes(including forgotten fx extraction):

https://www.oldunreal.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 16#p101416
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

more fixes(texture package) and conversions including a separate 221 pulsegun for both 220 and 225.

https://www.oldunreal.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 02#p101433