It's a camera thing, which I don't understand

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

It's a camera thing, which I don't understand

Post by EvilGrins »

For anyone playing in Spectator-mode your movement is pretty much the same as during normal play except you're in a constant state of flying. Most wouldn't think to use JUMP as you can't do that in Spectator-mode, but it's sometimes easier as when flying JUMP makes you go straight up instead of moving forward and turning up.

Hang on, I'm getting there...

On some maps, not all of them, when you hit JUMP in Spectator-mode instead of moving up you instead get different views; sometimes one, sometimes more. Now, I know this is due to cameras being placed around a map, even if there's no reason for a map to have cameras, and I'd like to know more about that.

On the map CTF-NoMansLand that Leo(T.C.K.) recently posted here, hitting JUMP brings up the 2 views in the screenshots below.

How does one set those up and how would one go about removing them (there's another map edit I'd like to take them off of) without messing up a map?
Attachments
Shot0017.png
Shot0019.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: It's a camera thing, which I don't understand

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:07 pm On the map CTF-NoMansLand that Leo(T.C.K.) recently posted here, hitting JUMP brings up the 2 views in the screenshots below.
Yep, I was about to investigate what's up with those, in Editor I did not see yet something evil and then I have to setup a small toy for reporting stuff in run-time, yes, I was curious about that too in hoping that these are not some funky corruptions.
Perhaps it worth trying to do a full "CleanUp" but... not before looking at map in exported format first. In UTDoria I did similar checks and I figured the same things.

My guessing: Since this view from spectator it's pointing Pawns, I think map has saved some camera actors that usually should not be there because run-time activity does not need them.

Edit: Inspecting... I see that UTDoria map was using initially 4 camera actors, remaining later 3 pieces. However one of them recounted whatever and named "Camera4" has no access at properties, the rest of them can be studied, one of them is like None but is still hanging around. Funky stuff can be seen when all of them are selected and properties shown - bNodelete has no value - should be True False, bStatic as well and the rest of properties looks like they have no deal. To me these are corruptions. I'll try a touch in 469b...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UTPT reports the following in the map :

6 Cameras numbered 6 through to 11 - for Viewports 0-3, Mesh Browser and Texture Browser (Only Camera8 for Viewport 2 does not have bHidden=True and bHiddenEd=True; Camera nos 6, 7 and 9 are bHIddenEd=True and the 2 Browser cams are True for both bHidden and bHIddenEd)

2 Spectator Cams numbered 0 and 1 (in Zone No. 2 and Zone No. 9).

There is also a TextBuffer which says

Code: Select all

CAMERAVERT=.5662216
CAMERALEFT=.5013835
CAMERARIGHT=.4944893
Different properties for different Cameras appears to be the norm - what is unusual is the presence of SpectatorCams (which may explain the switching between 2 viewpoints when pressing the JUMP key).

Just delete the Spectator Cams - to set that up put Spectator Cams in a map?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Yes, I found what was about. The Two SpectatorCam actors were doing this "toggling" - I think the purpose was to get ScreenShot(s) and left there...
And then ?
And then I aligned some textures, added AlternatePaths, fixed DefensePoints (all were aiming Team 0), balancing starts (3 vs 5), pathed using Plain UT, removed debris Paths (Pruned ones, long paths) moved paths to all items, cleaned up and wrapping FlagBases and InventorySpots as first and PlayerStarts as last).
Now it looks normal with 791 Paths - perhaps for fun I'll remove one, creating a pair of 790 (or maybe more others which I see useless). At this time map file with 1,743,394 bytes went to 1,566,397.
Awesome !
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Well EG, if nothing else, you managed to entertain a bunch of black magic UnrealEd samurais for a while. Well done!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:50 pm Well EG, if nothing else, you managed to entertain a bunch of black magic UnrealEd samurais for a while. Well done!
Plus, very informative.

Suspect this thread may yield more results over time.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The number of cameras in a map will depend, in part, on the Editor version used to produce and/or edit the map.

The UT221 version of CTF-NoMansLand has 5 cameras (4 viewport cams and one Browser cam). The version edited for UT99 has six cams (the normal 4 viewport cams and 2 Browser cams for the Mesh and Texture browsers).

The UT221 version of Doria has 4 cameras - three with exactly the same properties (as is the case in 3 of the 4 viewport cams in NoMansLand). In both maps the cam for 'StandardV3' has different (and more) properties, possibly meaning it was the last viewport used before the map was saved and closed?

The Tag names for the UT221 cameras are different to those for the UT99 cams.

As a general note, if one selects a number of actors and examines the properties, where no value shows for a particular property it is more likely to mean that not all the actors have the same property value than that no actor has a value for that property.