★ DM-Boundaries ★

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: DM-Boundaries-Rev027

Post by sektor2111 »

In regard to...
Que wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:52 am the Web Stuff is hidden from view and is only an easter egg in the map with some useful links .. is also a proof of concept which Iam experimenting with.
what is being added to your client?
and
Que wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:16 am don't forget to install on client/server.
until new release comes which will be more descriptive.
and some "new menu" or whatever (in forum there are such funky deals) - I keep my client install clean, even Cache folder is elsewhere.

As far as I recall an old discussion, it was pointed that some "evil" map might open web pages with... less cute things, or said web page can be gone/hacked. Player is probably playing not browsing. As result I think some of such access features was removed in prior XC versions... or it was only a discussion - I did not check. Either way if MapVote wants to load some info about current map from a web host (I used such things...), removing an external access will do damage, the same as for IpToCountry stuff.
Que wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:52 am the MipMaps problem... ok.. if you set World Texture Detail to Low and look at a normal MipMapped Image then it looks total shit
so I donot usually import textures with MipMaps Defined for this reason.
That is what user wants and map should not mess rendering. Mips are there with good reasons. If user demands less details it's not like a brute-force is helping. If user wants HD or less HD this is his decision not map's decision. All rendering parameters and variable are concerning settings from player and maps should not try to do what player doesn't need or want.

In reply to some advertisements from elsewhere: "... update your render..." - I think the right answer would be: "Made textures and maps NORMAL".
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Re: DM-Boundaries-Rev030

Post by Que »

Sektor wrote:In reply to some advertisements from elsewhere: "... update your render..." - I think the right answer would be: "Made textures and maps NORMAL".
so what I have done is included Mipmaps for images 512+ in size. Agreed Pro Players use low level detail for a reason , but this means that flags/faces and other small details look bad in scoreboards etc.. which is 1 reason for not using mipmaps on these items.

as for paths I forgot to do paths undefine in editor and recreate fresh ones using XC_Engine 469c

Iam only a beginner Mapper.. so bound to make mistakes.

we learn from these.
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: DM-Boundaries-Rev027

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:10 am In reply to some advertisements from elsewhere: "... update your render..." - I think the right answer would be: "Made textures and maps NORMAL".
I'm sure you're right but the fact remains that using D3D9 means that 'oversized textures without sufficient mipmaps' cease to be an issue (the renderer can handle them without crashing).
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: DM-Boundaries-Rev032

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:14 am
sektor2111 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:10 am In reply to some advertisements from elsewhere: "... update your render..." - I think the right answer would be: "Made textures and maps NORMAL".
I'm sure you're right but the fact remains that using D3D9 means that 'oversized textures without sufficient mipmaps' cease to be an issue (the renderer can handle them without crashing).
Then find a solution for those not reading/surfing internet and playing game with D3D and 2600 network speed. If Textures do look ugly in low detail, once again this is the choice of player not of the map.
Que
Inhuman

Re: DM-Boundaries-Rev032

Post by Que »

Sektor wrote: once again this is the choice of player not of the map.
I have to disagree.. and believe the "Choice" is the mappers.

If you have a map with textures that you want to standout then do NOT use Mips period.

Iam thinking of removing Mips off Larger Banners in my maps . So unfortunately for players using 1999 renderers. Then they won't be able to play.. hard luck.

@evil , you figure out how to Free the monsters mate?

Here's a Hint... 3 Boxes
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: ★ DM-Boundaries ★

Post by sektor2111 »

Que wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:45 pm I have to disagree.. and believe the "Choice" is the mappers.
Yeah... this is when some dudes will quickly restore things... and messing others. I could read a bunch of logs where many players used D3D - sure... keep them away from game. What for ? Any benefit ? As for removing mips from screenshot as it was stated elsewhere, I think (perhaps a wrong observation) this would crash instantly D3D render. Eh, community spent years for doing these things making some players to simply move away.
Que
Inhuman

Post by Que »

looked through .log's found 1. player uses D3DDrv.

he is active player.

however.. My Map runs fine on all renderers.. including D3D.

I have only removed Mips on Custom Banners excluding the 512x64 Banners where Mips had to be enabled.
because of D3D renderer.

in short.. D3D renderer.. don't like any textures 512px+ without Mips.
:/

Screenshots are fine without Mips.. because they are only 256px in size and don't effect on any renderers
*Join our Discord Here.*
*Our Servers
Que
Inhuman

Post by Que »

added a noMonsters Version to the download because bots constantly try attacking them (even though hidden behind glass) and breaks gameplay.
update first post.
*Join our Discord Here.*
*Our Servers
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm sorry but here something is really messed up.

Code: Select all

Wrong: 840 it's a PrunedPath not a normal Path.
DeLocate: ReachSpec 799 does not belongs to PathNode0 as an upStreamPath. It will be unreferenced.
Wrong: 799 it's a PrunedPath not a normal incoming Path.
DeLocate: ReachSpec 1082 does not belongs to PathNode0 as a normal path. It will be unreferenced.
Wrong: 1082 it's a PrunedPath not a normal Path.
DeLocate: ReachSpec 1083 does not belongs to PathNode0 as an upStreamPath. It will be unreferenced.
Wrong: 1083 it's a PrunedPath not a normal incoming Path.
DeLocate: ReachSpec 1451 does not belongs to PathNode0 as a normal path. It will be unreferenced.
Wrong: 1451 it's a PrunedPath not a normal Path.
DeLocate: ReachSpec 2122 does not belongs to PathNode0 as an upStreamPath. It will be unreferenced.
Wrong: 2122 it's a PrunedPath not a normal incoming Path.
DeLocate: ReachSpec 1574 does not belongs to PathNode0 as a normal path. It will be unreferenced.
Wrong: 1574 it's a PrunedPath not a normal Path.
And we do have paths miss-placed ? I was wondering what sort of "strategic" solution is capable to do these things in 2022...
Que
Inhuman

Post by Que »

appears to work fine ;)

not sure what those "errors" are referencing.

here's the offending "apple" ;

bots seem to manage utilizing it ok.. so no problem.
Last edited by Que on Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Join our Discord Here.*
*Our Servers
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:13 pm I'm sorry but here something is really messed up ...
What tool are you using here?

As a matter of interest MapGarbage reports
ReachSpecsOK: All referenced reachSpecs used in Navigation Nodes seem to match their place.

We don't have shortcuts known as PrunedPaths in this map, which is not bad at all.
which seems to be at odds with what you report above.

It also reports that
PotentialAITrap: InventorySpot450 has at least one path for reaching at it, but zero paths for going out.
PotentialAITrap: InventorySpot451 has at least one path for reaching at it, but zero paths for going out.
And there is no path to or from the UDamage - perhaps this intentional?
Que
Inhuman

Post by Que »

OjitroC wrote:And there is no path to or from the UDamage - perhaps this intentional?
Correct! .. because the amp/invisi is behind a glass exploding wall I did not path to it because bots no not know how to explode the wall... 1000HP

And would "likely" just keep trying to impact-hammer to them constantly , Breaking Gameplay. They'd just constantly be propelled off the Glass.

So therefore I excluded these paths.

Also to the floating pads in the monsters version I excluded jumpspots because they just jump off the edges to their demise ;)
*Join our Discord Here.*
*Our Servers
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

MapGarbage uses a check with original UT and as I stated already DescribeSpec doesn't report all data. We have the Start and the End but these are PrunedPaths - if path is narrow or if is PrunedPath, DecribeSpec doesn't show. But I see in 2022 there are more "solutions" and then original check is not reporting things as they are in reality, these bugs were impossible to see in original UT. And Yes, map works because of normal paths still doing logic connections which are around 800+, the rest are pointless.
As for the report, PrunedPaths lists are empty (count goes to zero) because they were thrown elsewhere out of their place, and then obviously MapGarbage cannot read anything. If you want all paths normal, it will be drawn a misery. I don't get the point for doing this lousy style of paths mapping...
If you want to hunt the "patched" obscure bugs from paths the only builder showing full ReachSpecs content is XC_PathsWorker.
I think here even DrawPaths mutator is bugged to show things different from Editor.
Que
Inhuman

Post by Que »

Look mate.. beginner mapper here.. hello 👋
I use XC_Paths for 469c to do paths.. I test map with 1 bot and see if it can get around... I elevate spots with invisible collision hulls (if and when necessary).

Since bots need to jump fences ...

Now.. my only problem is.. if they get stuck.. I don't care about any "Technicalitys" in terms of "is this the correct way to do things , or not".. I care only that Bots can move freely about the map.. (which in most cases they do)

Objective accomplished.

So.. perhaps some other feedback on map would be good.. like for example it's too small , boring , does not have enough ammo/weapons .. in case of CTF no alternate paths.. etc.

Cause this feedback is really not helpful - just saying from a cube map maker/picture maker POV.
*Join our Discord Here.*
*Our Servers
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

My feed back is not aiming you as "enemy target". You did map using some Editor/Editing assets, and then... these are bugged like UT never was.
Okay... good to know. This subject is now making me to think at removing that check in future MapGarbage update as long as report is irrelevant due to "methods" or... completing report with something else (this report is inaccurate in later UT versions of Editor - or something like this). New bugs added to "editing" assets are good to add spam into people's work. The other CTF map has the same things. Let me guess, user has no options for cleaning up.
Here I think Higor should read what's about and doing checks himself.
I will try to show you what is about, image from Editor and Image from game - you'll be surprised - it's not your fault.

Editor shows this:
Editor_Paths.PNG
But if you start the game with DrawPaths mutator - I warn you that you need a strong video card because all it's trashed with spam - it turns out this way:
InGame_Paths.PNG
This should go in attention of those writing whatever paths builders and removing them from public downloads.
Fascinating to me was the idea for making mappers to learn a new way of mapping. But if you ask me what I think, all I have to say is that developer should find the solution instead of forcing a majority to sing based on these "rules" defined in borked assets. Excuse me but my Paths Builder written with poor UScript codes doesn't do this "network". In completion, I think future version of my XC builder will flush these junks as well, no problem, I already wrote something for cleaning up an initial set of "paths".

I must credit you here for helping me to discover new "stuff" added in UT without even to install or launch them... In other hand it would be interesting to find out other natives what are doing in 2022.