DM-Deck35

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
UnrealWarrior
Average

DM-Deck35

Post by UnrealWarrior »

This is my first map :D I tried my best to combine gameplay + visuals. It took a long time to release something...So here you go!

There's some stuff on the map that needed more work. Like bot pathing, or weapon/ammo distribution. Any feedback is apperciated.

Also, this albums contains other maps that I was working on but never got to finish them. Probably soon:

www.imgur.com/a/oNGqlRX

I hope there won't be any problems running the map. I've only used texture that came with UT.
And lastly. Thanks for everyone here for helping me out. without you guys this wouldn't be possible. I hope you guys like it :)
Attachments
DM-Deck35_update1.zip
(3.09 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
DM-Deck35.rar
(3.59 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
Last edited by UnrealWarrior on Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We have nothing to fear but fear of tigers"

~tiger attack survivor
Pikko
Skilled
Personal rank: Old ClanMan

Re: DM-Deck35

Post by Pikko »

Looking good ;-) Always good to include all files. Seems that the D/L missing Route66V2tex2 ? file
UnrealWarrior
Average

Post by UnrealWarrior »

I knew I missed something lol . I think I've tried using those texture but I never did. Is there any way to check for "missing" package before posting maps?

~tiger attack survivor
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Post by fudgonaut »

UnrealWarrior wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:40 pmIs there any way to check for "missing" package before posting maps?
Maybe there's a simpler method out there, but for mapping I have two UT installations: One where I do all my map work, and a pristine/vanilla install of UT. Before releasing a map I add it to my vanilla install to check for package errors. Also, you can enter

Code: Select all

texture cull
into your UEd console, and that will remove any references to unused textures in your map.
UnrealWarrior
Average

Post by UnrealWarrior »

fudgonaut wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:49 pm
UnrealWarrior wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:40 pmIs there any way to check for "missing" package before posting maps?
Maybe there's a simpler method out there, but for mapping I have two UT installations: One where I do all my map work, and a pristine/vanilla install of UT. Before releasing a map I add it to my vanilla install to check for package errors. Also, you can enter

texture cull
into your UEd console, and that will remove any references to unused textures in your map.
This is a good idea. I'll try it before release my next map.
Thank you! :D

~tiger attack survivor
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Not too shabby for a first release! Well done!
Pikko
Skilled
Personal rank: Old ClanMan

Post by Pikko »

UnrealWarrior wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:40 pm I knew I missed something lol . I think I've tried using those texture but I never did. Is there any way to check for "missing" package before posting maps?
You could also use : MyMapManager
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

It's a nice first map - good flow/gameplay, nice design and layout :gj:

An improvement over the first version - my major comment on the appearance as a whole is that the lighting is uniformly bright and essentially the same in most locations - it does really need to be rather more subtle with more 'light and shade' as it were.

Suggest you get hold of sektor's MapGarbage and Buggie's MapChecker - both available on this forum - and use these tools to check the map periodically during the development process.

Here's a few things from the log after running some checks
Spoiler
ScriptLog: ZoneInfo which share zone with another ZoneInfo:
ScriptLog: LevelInfo1 placed in zone of LevelInfo0
ScriptLog: LevelInfo2 placed in zone of LevelInfo0

NoIncomingPath: Teleporter3 is not having incoming connections.
UtterlyUseless: PathNode8 is not having any path defined.
NoIncomingPath: LiftExit0 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot174 -> RocketPack4 is not having any incoming connection...
NoIncomingPath: InventorySpot175 -> UT_FlakCannon0 is not having any incoming connection...
Isolated: InventorySpot185 -> WarheadLauncher1 is not having any path defined...
Isolated: InventorySpot259 -> HealthPack0 is not having any path defined...
BreakPointsFound: These 7 navigation points aren't that used as valid paths. They might be break points if are a piece of a road.
PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter0 has a nearby Mover Mover2, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.
None: ___________________________________________________________________
PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter1 has a nearby Mover Mover5, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.
PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter2 has a nearby Mover Mover11, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.
PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter3 has a nearby Mover Mover10, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.
PotentialLiftFound: LiftCenter4 has a nearby Mover Mover24, but is not connected with it. Check if this is wrong.

VoidCheck: --- Void placement report ---
VoidCheck: IntroDude0 looks placed into void.
VoidCheck: Light63 looks placed into void.
VoidCheck: Light64 looks placed into void.
VoidCheck: Light133 looks placed into void.
VoidCheck: Light158 looks placed into void.
VoidCheck: Light169 looks placed into void.
VoidCheck: Light153 looks placed into void.
VoidCheck: Light259 looks placed into void.
VoidCheck: PathNode8 looks placed into void.
VoidCheck: 9 actors look placed into void, check those.
WallHitting: PlayerStart4 is facing a closer wall, a rocket fired too quickly might be damaging.
SpawnRotationResults: 1 Playerstart actors might need another rotation.
ZoningChecker: LevelInfo1 and LevelInfo2 share the same zone
There's other stuff to do with the movers reported by MapChecker so run that and check them.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Seems better ideas and looks for the well known one, including a lot of remakes.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Are those LevelInfo1 and LevelInfo2 useful at something ? Map already has a LevelInfo0 as main Level actor.
Mover14 and Mover6 - What's up there ? Evading from being killed ?
Effects will Trigger Movers which are supposed to be damage triggered ? I'm not sure how are those mechanics and why are they needed.

With a bit of polishing and discarding useless things it can be pretty good.
About paths I won't talk in here - maybe another time - clearly tutorials are not for mappers...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Looks pretty good, overall.

There's some spots of possible pathing issues, but I think it's put this map on the same level as the maps that originally came with UT99.
Attachments
Shot0011.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

@EG - It is more simple to run PathsChecker (builder uses only Engine and its internals) and see there the number for failures... Builder might not see everything but it is testing logic links from Navigation Network (see there the "logic")...

PS: Yes, I have a normal DM version of this map - because it means a good DM environment without bloatware adds, and it's full of action, without lags, smoother as oil.
UnrealWarrior
Average

Post by UnrealWarrior »

@UnrealGGecko : Thank you! :D

@OjitroC : I wanted the map to be bright because I didn't want any corner to be "dark". (example of that would be in Deck16, where the minigun is, I don't know if its a problem on my end, but it's too dark in that corner.)

@Red_Fist : I'm Glad you liked it :)

@sektor2111: I've tried and experimented with a tons of things, and definitely missed to delete or edit a lot. As for Mover14, 6. These are just windows, when you shoot them, glass falls off lol. that's all. Now, I don't how can I remove LevelInfo on the map because I can't see it. There's a lot of cleaning to do.
"Effects will Trigger Movers which are supposed to be damage triggered". Could you elaborate more? :)
And the paths, I've done that like in 30 minutes or so after I watched Smeer Kat's tutorial. I'll fix it.

@EvilGrins: Thanks! I never thought you guys would rank this map with talented mappers like CliffyB! Whoa! :D :D
The bot pathing can be tricky sometimes, if there's a hole, even if they don't fall in it, they'll jump. I added additional PathNodes just to avoid it. Or, in the lava area where there's the minigun, if you don't the PathNodes right above a brush, they just get stuck and keep jumping.
Even with this poor pathing, the bots are still impressive!

I didn't you could add features to UnrealEd until now, MapChecker and MapGarbage and very useful! There's 250 issues to be fixed lol.

~tiger attack survivor
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UnrealWarrior wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:02 pm Now, I don't how can I remove LevelInfo on the map because I can't see it. There's a lot of cleaning to do.
They're all bHiddenEd=True so that's why you can't see them. However go to Search for Actors - click on LevelInfo1 and then click Delete - do the same for LevelInfo2.

Go to LevelInfo0 and in the properties, go to Advanced, look for bHiddenEd=True and set this to False - it will then show up in the Ed. Show All (Hidden) Actors should also reveal them.

In MapGarbage, use bNoOvercrowded to remove pathnodes too close to other nodes/inventoryspots (75 nodes can be removed) and use bCheckItems to indicate weapons, ammo, health etc that can be adjusted in height, etc (this should really be used before building the paths). Also bTryFixBadPaths will remove pathnodes that are 'useless'.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Paths is problem #2 - too easy, nothing tricky, just movement logic - navigation logic: Using Nodes for making Pawn to move to navigate - I don't see what movement is happening between TWO nodes in the same place, such as PathNode nearby Inventory or another PathNode - a completely useless load. I see some of them are dead and then... buried. When HealthVials are generating valid routes over some stair, is not like a PathNode buried between Vials is helpful at something. Guys, forget the idea that PathNode is a cake or a magnet - is not. Bot is moving for Inventories not for PathNodes, Nodes are only linking routes to these Inventories.

What's up with "magic rooms" opened - In a LMS match, some boy can hide there and waiting to be winner or when has advantage against his opponent the only thing to do is waiting for victory in such a safe spot out of game area. Even recently in some map I deleted cube from top leaving only valid play area - what was for that top room ? For nothing, map looks identical with or without that useless cube.
Those windows looks damage triggered but their Tag is matching Event of "ExplodingWall" whatever. Triggering an actor is not this way. And "ExplodingWall" reacts only to certain damage type. I don't have any problem in checking these because I simply disabled access to that room with invisible floor, there is no valid DM reason to go there... Imagine the game using Translocator...

Mapping stuff: In Editor if you don't see an Actor this doesn't means that it doesn't exist. I don't know how many tutorials are explaining how Editor is working not only the mapping task...
There are methods in hiding actors:
- original bHiddenEd
- DrawType DT_Mesh without using a mesh
- DrawType DT_None
- DrawType DT_Sprite but not using any Texture
Oopsy...

In other hand I gotta ask about fans or fun-s...
MyFans_lol.PNG
MyFans_lol.PNG (15.17 KiB) Viewed 381 times
The other fun pointed by MapChecker...

ScriptLog: Actors use LifeSpan != 0, like Carcass able disappear before player actually find it:
ScriptLog: fan3 9999999827968.000000
ScriptLog: Fan22 9999999827968.000000
ScriptLog: fan5 9999999790214768000000000000000000.000000
I think there is enough time to find them - I won't calculate centuries required for self-destruction (fan5 is the most "funny" thing)...
You can forget these practices, it's a waste of time to do useless settings.
As far as I know, bStasis actors that are not directly visible by player won't perform animations in client - like eternal boulders from that stock "Sky-Box" Copy-Pasted all time.