DM-Deck35

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
UnrealWarrior
Average

Re: DM-Deck35

Post by UnrealWarrior »

@OjitroC : Alright. I fixed those, there's a couple of issue MapChecker insists on. Like InventorySpot(what is it), or a scaled mover. I don't recall doing that.

@sektor2111 : My theory, at least. When I was putting those PathNodes in the map is that, if another player picked up those vials, the other bots won't go through that path because the vials are not there, so no path. So, that's why I put those PathNodes in the middle of the vials.

By "Magic Room", you mean the one with the Health Pack? (Big Keg O' Life, I mean), if someone hid there, probably another player will pay him a little visit eventually. You can hide in DM-Codex where there's Cliff's easter egg. Now that's a place you can hide in.
As for the generator room, I close the windows with an invisible wall, so players won't get out of the map.

Those fans lol. Back when I started this map, even with an invisible wall, I was able to destroy them. I added a VERY large number because I didn't know how you can do it properly. Same with the triggers, I added a large radius to the point that the Redemeer's alt fire became slower. I fixed those as well.

Again, I apperciate everyone's help here, And sorry for not fixing it sooner. irl stuff, you know. I can't keep working on this map forever, I have a few that are already half-finished. I know this pathing/lighting are poorly done, I did them in like 10 minutes or so lol.

Issues that are still persists in the map are: the elevators, bot refuses to take them for some reason, or they hit their heads and go back because they don't go in the middle of the mover. I don't why.
Second, the pathing in the lava area is a mess, some bots jump to their deaths, or don't know where to go.

I'll put the updated map in the first post after this post.
"We have nothing to fear but fear of tigers"

~tiger attack survivor
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UnrealWarrior wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:47 pm When I was putting those PathNodes in the map is that, if another player picked up those vials, the other bots won't go through that path because the vials are not there, so no path. So, that's why I put those PathNodes in the middle of the vials.
All inventory, including health vials, is (or should be if the pathing of the map is built) marked by an InventorySpot - so if those vials are picked up, there will still be InventorySpots that mark their location and so still form part of the path network - hence why you don't need PathNodes on or near InventorySpots. You wil see the InventorySpots listed in the Search For Actors dialogue box.

If you run either MapChecker or Map Garbage, these tools will report if PathNodes and InventorySpots are too close - you can use the appropriate command in MapGarbage to remove them - then use MapGarbage's BuildNetwork command to rebuild the path network and remove any left-over 'garbage'.

Have a look at HealthVIal 13 - you will see that there is a path to it but no path from it up the corridor to the larger room.

The report from MapChecker on the InventorySpots is to do with HealthVials on sloping corridors - these vials could be lowered somewhat (MapGarbage also reports that they are too high).

The issue with the lifts may be to do with :
Spoiler
LiftFound: LiftCenter0 seems linked at Mover Mover2
QuestioningState: Mover Mover2 is BumpOpenTimed like a door not like a lift. Recommending StandOpenTimed ?
None: ___________________________________________________________________
LiftFound: LiftCenter1 seems linked at Mover Mover5
QuestioningState: Mover Mover5 is BumpOpenTimed like a door not like a lift. Recommending StandOpenTimed ?
LiftFound: LiftCenter2 seems linked at Mover Mover11
QuestioningState: Mover Mover11 is BumpOpenTimed like a door not like a lift. Recommending StandOpenTimed ?
LiftFound: LiftCenter3 seems linked at Mover Mover10
QuestioningState: Mover Mover10 is BumpOpenTimed like a door not like a lift. Recommending StandOpenTimed ?
LiftFound: LiftCenter4 seems linked at Mover Mover24
QuestioningState: Mover Mover24 is BumpOpenTimed like a door not like a lift. Recommending StandOpenTimed ?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

UnrealWarrior wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:47 pm the vials are not there, so no path. So, that's why I put those PathNodes in the middle of the vials.
NavigationPoints are used for NPC navigation - see what is possible:
ActorBrowser-NavigationPoints.jpg
To see them while running a map, type SHOWALL in console. The InventorySpots of the vitals are displayed as horse heads:
NavigationPoints.jpg
Also you should use Context Menu > View > Show Paths in UnrealEd.
UnrealEd-ShowPaths.jpg
UnrealEd-ShowPaths.jpg (34.72 KiB) Viewed 253 times
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

UnrealWarrior wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:47 pm the other bots won't go through that path because the vials are not there, so no path. So, that's why I put those PathNodes in the middle of the vials.
Pretty FALSE and wrong. When Bot doesn't go there it's because it has no reason to move there not because paths are missing - paths are not destroyed in run-time except when you do some scripting for that. This myth has been demolished already for years. Bots are heading to Inventories - no Inventory = No Roaming, it's really that simple.
In other hand, TexasGtar made a CTF map entirely done using Inventories - it's not like Bots are not assaulting Flags :loool: because previously the other Bots have took Inventories. Maybe you need to learn more about pathing subject. All the time when I see maps done this way I will delete all USELESS nodes that are only overcrowding spot for no purpose.

It seems that I need a well designed signature for these lulz which are pointed constantly because pathing is too simple and too hard for those not understanding what's up with this subject. Also I have a small mutator pointing routes in DM exactly like Bot does - it never pointed me spots with inventories taken but more far to another available inventory disregarding any previous taken inventory...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:36 pm In other hand, TexasGtar made a CTF map entirely done using Inventories
I have done this with my old jungle map ...nearly no pathnodes just inventory and the bots play fine there. :mrgreen:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:03 pm ...
:tu:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think it's Eagle heads. probably because of the known, Eagle eye.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Eagles, Dragons... whatever they are, if these are having Lines slash ARROWS in add-ons and UT patches, anybody can figure how routing goes if is bothering to learn how to do some small checks directly in Editor or in game using RememberSpot and ShowPath commands. In game checks were available since day 1, exception being navigation points aiming exclusively Bots and those that are crushing game due to coding goofing.
In other hand there are already maps demonstrating these fake theories about sudden "missing" paths. Only 227 can remove paths and in UT XC_Engine can disable/null them. TranslocDest is one of points capable to unreference paths in games without translocator - but they are not deleted, the rest are myths about missing paths. They are missing if map is borked and not really missing if map is good, all is logic routing and nothing else.
MilkManEX

Post by MilkManEX »

Hell of a first. Did you have other modding experience before this?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

off topic-ish
A side note question, what does show coordinance show, what does it show, seem like I never see anything different. Where exactly are we supposed to look for these coordinance ?

and what coordinance of what, mouse pointer, map level space,
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

MilkManEX wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:08 pm Hell of a first. Did you have other modding experience before this?
No, I did not have, and that's why I was looking for docs written by those creating these and not by those who think are knowing them, and chasing good works on purpose to learn the right way - and I'm still learning. Example, I've learned Lifts from Original maps and completing information later from original documents.