My first map

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Diablo
Experienced
Personal rank: world's worst mapper

My first map

Post by Diablo »

OK, so I just finished making my first map as an adult, and I wanted to start small but also make something more advanced than a box, so I present to you...

DM-ProvingGrounds
proviong.jpg
This is basically a map for your average noob. Its pretty similar to DM-TrainingDay in UT2k4, but much more simpler. It's chock full of powerups, weapons & other goodies. It has a pretty basic layout. But just because the map is easy doesn't means your enemy will be.

This is a Tourney map, and it comes with some textures;

Unzip "richrig.utx" into the UnrealTournament/Textures subdir. (depending on the mods that you have, you may already have this)
Unzip "SGTech1.utx" into the UnrealTournament/Textures subdir. (If you have Bonus Pack 4 installed, you may already have this)
Attachments
DM-ProvingGrounds.zip
(5.71 MiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by Diablo on Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." -Xan Kriegor, 2341.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: My first map

Post by EvilGrins »

Haven't opened it yet, but it looks like a well balanced arena map from your screenshot.

Was a little worried about the filename, but I was thinking of CTF-ProvingGrounds.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

I actually thought it was a remake of the Q3A map. :noidea :lol2:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Okay, as previously stated this looks like a solid arena map. Everything seems well balanced, bots go everywhere (though it's not that big a map so "everywhere" is all pretty close). Don't know that I love the musical selection, that particular piece seems more ideal for a larger space, but that could just be me.
Image Image Image Image
I'm not really a pathing guy, even though I do harp on it a lot. From what I can tell by observation it looks okay but I didn't open this up in editor to check. I don't know the bot-pathing is great, just that it looks good... which could either be good pathing or simply the map isn't that large and it wasn't necessary due to that.

Still, all and all, a good map.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Seems like the lighting needs to be sexier, like small radius lights by each texture by the floor, or from the ceiling as if a light was shining as a spot on the floor from above.
It just looks too uniform, looking at your screenshots, evilgrins are brighter and you can see the uniformity even more, as opposed to ,,,feeling, being, In a 3D space.

Light should come from the outer area then light the middle from those maybe one more under with less brightness, do the floor with lights by each light texture, like a radius of 4, So when the light comes from the outside to UNDER the center, those small lights will just be a psych-out Hence the feeling of 3D.
Binary Space Partitioning
Diablo
Experienced

Post by Diablo »

Red_Fist wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:24 am Seems like the lighting needs to be sexier, like small radius lights by each texture by the floor, or from the ceiling as if a light was shining as a spot on the floor from above.
It just looks too uniform, looking at your screenshots, evilgrins are brighter and you can see the uniformity even more, as opposed to ,,,feeling, being, In a 3D space.

Light should come from the outer area then light the middle from those maybe one more under with less brightness, do the floor with lights by each light texture, like a radius of 4, So when the light comes from the outside to UNDER the center, those small lights will just be a psych-out Hence the feeling of 3D.
I know, but as I said, this was my first map that was actually supposed to be good enough to show to ppl. As I said, the map is supposed to be basic. Plus, I had to make the roof and mask textures unlit cuz otherwise they wouldnt be lit, and if I add enough lights to make them seeable, then the entire map is washed out. Plus, I actually didn't do anything with bot pathing. Hell, I doubt I even bothered to rebuild the pathing. I guess the predefined pathing is good because A) the map is small and B) the numerous powerups automatically draw the bot closer to them.
Chrysaor
Average

Post by Chrysaor »

Hey, solid first map. Lights, textures, powerups and fun chaos.

Masked textures sometimes light funny. Sometimes they have to be unlit, you're right, but you also might try Bright Corners. I find that helps them render better.

Also might try adding a Keypoint > AmbientSound to make those fans under the powerups sound like fans. But those are small issues. Keep at it, you're off to a good start.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

"I know, but as I said, this was my first map that was actually supposed to be good enough to show to ppl. As I said, the map is supposed to be basic."

No offense, It's just me thinking out loud, and you made everything work, my only real criticism is it is impractical for DM being so small. If you want small all I can think is make playerstarts so they are hidden away from each other, like separate little spawn area for each playerstart.

I was also thinking if you wanted to make a bigger map, you have hallways started and go from there.
Binary Space Partitioning
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Hard to rate this one when it's so tiny, but congrats on your 1st release! Only real bug is the grating is touching the middle lights platform and seems to be flickering a bit over there, maybe lowering the grating or raising the light fixture platform by a few uu would fix that :)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:33 pm Hard to rate this one when it's so tiny,
You remember we had a "contest" with ridiculous small maps ...this one seems huge in comparison.
Diablo
Experienced

Post by Diablo »

papercoffee wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:05 am
UnrealGGecko wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:33 pm Hard to rate this one when it's so tiny,
You remember we had a "contest" with ridiculous small maps ...this one seems huge in comparison.
Fun fact.. I wanted it to be smaller, but a 2048x1024 square looked small enough in the editor, and when I loaded up the map proper, it was huge. Thankfully not too huge tho... :lol2:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Yeah ...my first map (and it was not worth sharing) had also a 1024³ cubes connected by 128³ cubes as doors and I worried if it would be big enough.

Fun fact, out if habit I always start a new map by subtracting a 1024³ room.

EDIT‐-------------------------------
Here when you want to see some tiny and insane Masterpieces.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13580 <=The "contest" thread.

There are actually some nice maps in that bunch ...but also some are just for lulz.
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Not bad. Has the basics.

As a recommended next challenge, make an outdoor map with a sky box, and at least 1 mover. :tu:
Diablo
Experienced

Post by Diablo »

jmartin wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:21 am Not bad. Has the basics.

As a recommended next challenge, make an outdoor map with a sky box, and at least 1 mover. :tu:
Hey, thanks. I'll definitely try that.

By the way, you do know that this post is more than 3 weeks old right? Try not to necrobump, or one of the admins will peek thru your window tonight and GLARE at you.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Nah three weeks is ok ...3 month is questionable and we start looking for your window ...3 years and we glare and poke you in your eyes.

Exception are missing links added because the old one went down, updates/fixes of your project... and continuation of tutorials.