Massive UT Beta maps conversions release

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Massive UT Beta maps conversions release

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Massive post incoming of latest conversions:

CTF Maps:

Old Coret - despite the name, completely different and fresh map for most people, started as a DM map, repurposed into a ctf map found in the 221 version, now converted into regular UT:

OldCoret

"Nu Coret" Much more familiar version of Coret, this one is from the 222 leak. Some interesting differences abound though.

download nucoret

"Phraela" a never before seen lost map, just like "Old Coret" it is a gem of a map, skycity themed with ice versus fire theme and a little bit difficult to learn layout.

download phraela

A bonus in form of the three 221 tutorial maps converted:

tut maps

I recommend playing them with the regular gametypes and not the tut ones as the maps can get into unwanted behavior with the deault training gametypes.

Assault maps:

the 222 tutorial map:
tutorialb
this brings it together with the 221 and the regular tutorial and the guardia versions into four whooping official versions of the same map LOL

someone make an ultimate version please with all the brushes from all versions taking guardia as a base but adding the 221 rooms and the generator objective back in too....like guardia II or the anniversary stuff?

HiSpeed;

221 HiSpeed
222 version of HS

OverLord Old:

kind of rushed this one hence the beta title, see readme...the other 222 overlord was already converted and released, either in my wip version or the one in the FCBP as Overlord][

download overlordold
Last edited by Leo(T.C.K.) on Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyCognitti

Re: Massive UT Beta maps conversions release

Post by JimmyCognitti »

:tu:
UTNerd24
Adept
Personal rank: Professional Camper

Post by UTNerd24 »

NuCoret has some missing collision on some brushes near the door leading to the Red Flag Room. As a result it's possible to fall through the floor on Spawn.
Otherwise I'm loving these conversions and I'm eager to see a few more!
I've been playing UT for so long it's practically tradition.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

UTNerd24 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:53 am NuCoret has some missing collision on some brushes near the door leading to the Red Flag Room. As a result it's possible to fall through the floor on Spawn.
Otherwise I'm loving these conversions and I'm eager to see a few more!
fff
I mean I already had to use blockall at another place (look in the editor) and rebuilt the geometry once. Now this...

Originally there was a huge hom visible from one place I believe it was in the red flag room. Instead this seems to have replaced it.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Looking forward to try them, thank you! Though not seeing the Phraela link.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:09 pm Looking forward to try them, thank you! Though not seeing the Phraela link.
phraela

wonder why nobody reported that before...

Automatically merged

btw I do want to note, now that phraela link is here, I am aware of the weird bot behavior on one of the flags when defending it, they keep running into the flag. Now this didn't occur in my initial version however because epic changed the mesh origin on the flag multiple times, i had to move it so it would align with that flag holder. However when I did so, the bots got confused so its more like looks versus functionality and I wanted it to look more like original here since the flag wasn't just on the floor like other maps...it was more elaborate.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:39 pm I am aware of the weird bot behavior on one of the flags when defending it, they keep running into the flag.
Maybe those two FlagBases from void set for Team 0 should be removed as they don't have any usage.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I have been playing around with this large terrain brush, and of coarse holes and things. Seems to me if you edit a brush or remove and make a new one in a map etc etc, each time transform the brush or brushes, then go on and edit again for each time. Then always work with all the brush polys separated, not merged.

I really do believe it's working, transform sets the brushes back to zero, like if scale was 1.2, after transform it becomes zero again. so it sets the reference point to then again re-edit.

Might help on these as well, being not knowing the state of the brush or maps when you get them (or just making a new map for that matter).
Binary Space Partitioning
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:37 pm
Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:39 pm I am aware of the weird bot behavior on one of the flags when defending it, they keep running into the flag.
Maybe those two FlagBases from void set for Team 0 should be removed as they don't have any usage.
I noted down what they were in the readme. They weren't even in the void originally and you could accidentaly get them. They were obviously a reference from pre-220 botpack versions that the author didn't remove, but since its in the void now it can't hurt and it gets destroyed soon anyways. I just kept it because it was interesting.

But that's not why that bot runs into the flag really. They were there even in the version when i didn't adjust the regular flag location either and it wasn't positioned right at the flag holder.

What I meant with mesh origin is mesh center, that's separate from the void flags. With the new flag mesh they changed the center of the mesh across versions hence why I had to move them from where they appeared in the unchanged map. Tldr: they changed the flagbase actor too much so for it to make sense visually again I had to move it but that creates conflict with the bot.

Who then gets confused.

EDIT: but I'm not stopping anyone from removing the void ones, anyone is free to make their own versions of this map as long as the name gets changed. That is kind of the point of this, to create a basic playable version for regular ut.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:11 pm but since its in the void now it can't hurt and it gets destroyed soon anyways. I just kept it because it was interesting.
I don't see what can be interesting... Navigation points destroyed are just breaking Navigation Chain ruining all related operations. In other hand these are bNoDelete, exactly as they need to be. That Willard seems a Team 1 Blue hater (or was/is gay - loving reds). We do have an 8 Players map - 4 + 4, but Team 1 has only 3 PlayerStarts allowing a telefrag right from beginning. Aiming in Blue Base can be harder than in Red because of "ice" stuff. Bot is trying to reach at FlagBase but keeps sliding and retrying. Why at FlagBase ? Because actually there is no DefensePoint placed for guarding Base normally.
I wasn't aware that these betas were so poorly pathed and bugged - plus a crash test accepted, we do have warps not fixed even in v451b. I'll toy around it to see if worth fixing it properly.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:06 pm
Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:11 pm but since its in the void now it can't hurt and it gets destroyed soon anyways. I just kept it because it was interesting.
I don't see what can be interesting...

I wasn't aware that these betas were so poorly pathed and bugged - plus a crash test accepted, we do have warps not fixed even in v451b. I'll toy around it to see if worth fixing it properly.
The maps are of historic interest - to those who have an interest in the developmernt of Unreal Tournament. These betas are betas - from a previously lost/unknown, leaked early version of UT, not an official release and obviously everything about that version of the game is raw and unfinished - from the maps to the bots to the gametypes to the weapons and so on - as one would expect.

They can be played with that leaked game version and now, thanks to Leo, they can be played in UT99.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Yea I mean I at least fixed the most critical issues and stuff. But the flag, you could have had bots behaving normally but the flag was placed differently and the mesh origin changed, thus the actual (from game point of view) center changed thus the bot keeps running into it. And I observed this behavior at the red base too. That flag in the void is interesting because he had it there when he was converting the map from earlier version for cross reference and he still had it placed close to the other flagbase so then it became problematic, despite it being set different mesh, but it gets destroyed and still is in the void, I saw no effect on the actual paths with that one.

Either way Willard was hired into Epic shortly after release of Unreal, in fact his dmtulane map was a cover cd map/bonus map for the macintosh release of Unreal in some circles. There are even two versions of that map, one finished and one unfinished. He quickly also made dmscruular that was for download offer at the gw press website at one point. His first very known map became Cybrosis in the fusion pack/oem versions 222 and 223 of Unreal but he already made maps for botpack(ut) for Epic.

He also seems to have a short memory because at one point(in recent years) he claimed that Epic didn't really cut anything since he was there...yea right..then what about all those maps of his in the ut betas lol?

Automatically merged

I didn't have any crash with the warpzones btw, but I tested it on 436.

Automatically merged

coretnu

also added an attachment...quick fix for nucoret...jackhonda added blockall at the bsp error issue at the base door
Attachments
CTF-UTNuCoretF.zip
(901.42 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

There are two issues at warps - for everyone reading and being addicted at these.
#1 On-Line - due to replication stuff, at slow speed or pawns bunching there is triggered a collision issue and recursions crash - MH-Tarmation2_whatever has this issue with those Brutes doesn't matter how map is build. It happens and not very seldom.
#2 Using paths debug commands RememberSpot and ShowPath Off-Line or whatever - WarpZoneMarker -> SpecialHandling (game mangling more specific) might crash exactly like TranslocStart.
These navigation points and navigation generally was used in 436 by some lolzers to crash servers. UTPG "solved" problem by deactivating commands instead of fixing navigation code. I don't think they even knew what to do there... Editor 451 already demonstrated quality of these "updates".
I'm pointing these as "heads up", for me these are not a big problem, I'm no longer using original stock, and I'm not sure if I'll ever use that. Also borked functions can be solved by XC_Engine, not all of them but... it's better to wrap codes instead of removing them.

Resuming
CTF-UTPhraela - looks interesting after polishing it a bit and removing all related buggers (including useless "traps"). Simplified paths, AlternatePaths, SmartStockBots mutator - all these are bringing a great game flow.
I'll look at next ones
UTNerd24
Adept
Personal rank: Professional Camper

Post by UTNerd24 »

Would you be Able to do Cobalt, Frigate, Keep and Reactor Next?
I've been playing UT for so long it's practically tradition.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

sektor2111 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:20 am There are two issues at warps - for everyone reading and being addicted at these.
#1 On-Line - due to replication stuff, at slow speed or pawns bunching there is triggered a collision issue and recursions crash - MH-Tarmation2_whatever has this issue with those Brutes doesn't matter how map is build. It happens and not very seldom.
#2 Using paths debug commands RememberSpot and ShowPath Off-Line or whatever - WarpZoneMarker -> SpecialHandling (game mangling more specific) might crash exactly like TranslocStart.
These navigation points and navigation generally was used in 436 by some lolzers to crash servers. UTPG "solved" problem by deactivating commands instead of fixing navigation code. I don't think they even knew what to do there... Editor 451 already demonstrated quality of these "updates".
I'm pointing these as "heads up", for me these are not a big problem, I'm no longer using original stock, and I'm not sure if I'll ever use that. Also borked functions can be solved by XC_Engine, not all of them but... it's better to wrap codes instead of removing them.

Resuming
CTF-UTPhraela - looks interesting after polishing it a bit and removing all related buggers (including useless "traps"). Simplified paths, AlternatePaths, SmartStockBots mutator - all these are bringing a great game flow.
I'll look at next ones
Kind of stopped reading at the "useless traps" part. I used them sucesfuly a lot especially when chased by bots when grabbing the flag. That's what its for. It gives you little extra time.

That is just disrespectful to the original map. I fucking love traps.

There should be traps that trigger when you capture the flag like the entire opposite team gets electrocuted. Yea fuck..take that....

If nobody made a map like that I will in the future. The support is right there, for capture events. It was used in the CoretOld for the "lights show" elsewhere on the map.

Automatically merged

UTNerd24 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:32 am Would you be Able to do Cobalt, Frigate, Keep and Reactor Next?
Maybe and maybe this was my last ever release given what's happening to us IRL.

Automatically merged

I tested the map online on dedicated too. Apart from "jetlag" with the rotation being slightly off when passing through the warpzones, which is a common thing in ut online if the warpzones don't end up with the same rotation (a stupid thing really). I didn't get any crashes when passing through them still. Tried multiple times and no crash.

Automatically merged

I find it really really funny that warpzones are so broken under release UT when they added enhancements for warpzones especially because of UT developement...

like the fact they can be switched by a trigger to a different warpzone? Only used in practice in stuff like unreal psx and whatever tests they had when they were developing the command control gametype that ended up being cut (with a leftover gametype actor in the ut betas being present).

But yea they work flawlessly online on those early ut versions...thanks epic again for screwing something over that once worked fine.